Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

BotM Discussion - SCI-FI > Six Wakes/ Overall discussion/ spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1997 comments I loved this book! I loved the complexity of the characters and how detailed it went into cloning. For once my brain didnt hurt at the end of a technical heavy sci fi.
The questions that i'm left with at the end of this book are:
Is cloning ok?
Would I get cloned if I could?
Who was the baddie of the book?

The last one I think was Sallie. I'm not really sure why she did everything that she did but I think that she caused the most harm to people and the most manipulation.

Thanks to whoever nominated this one.

message 2: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1667 comments Mod
I didn't read this book but to answer your question about cloning I figure I'm cool with it as long as the person is already dead. We have a ton of people on earth already and can barely support them so cloning a bunch of living people likely wouldn't work. I always joke around with my wife that I have to live long enough that they can put my memories in a robot or something. If not she has to throw my brain in the freezer.

message 3: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 3053 comments Mod
It’s basically a closed room mystery but in space with clones and lots of morally questionable actions. It was fun. Sallie seems to be the main baddie. I felt like it was left open for a possible followup.

message 4: by Elle (last edited Jun 14, 2018 01:58PM) (new)

Elle (elleay) | 49 comments I'd love a follow-up book! Did they head back to Earth and really surprise Sallie by returning all her enemies to her? (Images of Scooby-Doo episode endings flash in my head: "I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you pesky kids!") Or did they continue on to this purported habitable planet? Quite a risk since it may not exist since it was part of Sallie's manipulative scheme to get everyone on the ship. Also, when they put Paul into the AI system, does he behave? Does Maria edit out all his murderous tendencies or does she miss something and the AI Paul try to kill them?

Six Wakes was a fun read. I liked how there was a slow reveal of all the character's backstories. I wasn't constantly trying to figure out who the murderer was, but how all these stories would fit together in the end. Though about halfway through the book I began to get impatient for the characters to figure out that Sallie was the common thread connecting their stories.

I'd really like a machine like BB to help with meal prep. Wouldn't use it all the time since I love cooking, but sometimes it would come in handy after a long day at work.

message 5: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

I felt that information was revealed at just the right pace, so I never felt confused or impatient.

message 6: by Peter (new)

Peter | 28 comments I might as well add some discord into the discussion: The book was fine

The sci-fi elements weren't particularly original and the murder-mystery aspect was quite boring since you needed the backstories to actually figure it out which meant that (as Ellie alluded to) the reader figures out the mystery long before the characters do.

The deus ex machina at the end also meant that I found the 'happy ending' quite forced and undeserved.

message 7: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1997 comments Elle wrote: "I'd really like a machine like BB to help with meal prep. Wouldn't use it all the time since I love cooking, but sometimes it would come in handy after a long day at work..."

BB kind of reminded me of the food replicator in 'The Fifth Element'. I would love one. But i think mine would have to be programmed to only make so much cake or I could be in trouble.

message 8: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1997 comments Peter wrote: "Ihe deus ex machina at the end also meant that I found the 'happy ending' quite forced and undeserved.
."

I was a little bothered by the ending. I don't think any of them deserve a happy ending either. But I am hoping that there will be a sequel where we find out if there is a planet for them to go to and something awful happens to Sallie.

message 9: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1997 comments sir Lancer wrote: "I didn't read this book but to answer your question about cloning I figure I'm cool with it as long as the person is already dead. We have a ton of people on earth already and can barely support th..."

You'll have to make sure that she wraps your head properly. You don't want to be defrosted to find you suffered freezer burn!

The big thing with the clones in this book was whether society classed them as human or not. I thought that was a little rough. I haven't read many clone books but I felt kind of bad for them as a race of people.

message 10: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments This was a fun read. I liked the character back stories and seeing how they all fit together, which you totally knew they would. Everyone was connected. I had guessed the main gist of who did it part way through though the exact motivations took a while to fill in. I liked the pacing. It wasn't rushed but it also didn't drag.

I want a Bebe! As much as I enjoy cooking there are definitely nights when I just don't want to either lol

I agree with others who were bothered by the ending. It was definitely too happy and didn't ring true with the rest of the story.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments I listened to the audio on this one. I found the back stories an interesting way to connect all the characters.

I totally want a bebe myself. I hate cooking!

I thought the attitude of the clones was an interesting way of thinking based on the lack of feeling for their deaths - I can really see that attitude developing. This reminded me of the book we read where people were resleeved.

Ending a trifle too happy and weird seemed like an anticlimax.

message 12: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Yes, I read Altered Carbon right after this one and couldn’t help comparing them. I liked this one a lot more than Altered Carbon.

message 13: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments I also liked this a lot more than Altered Carbon.

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments This was a lot less dark and depressing for sure.

message 15: by Alan (new)

Alan | 158 comments I'm glad I nominated this one. It was part of my challenge to myself to read all the Hugo nominees for best novel (which I probably won't manage to complete, haha).

At first I thought it would be a solid three stars, but as the story progressed I found I couldn't put it down. I became really invested in the characters (esp. Wolfgang, Joanna, and IAN). You definitely get the sense Lafferty is a new(ish) writer, and some of her choices were certainly a little forced and maybe a tad easy, but I have to admit that I liked the characters enough that I was pleased by the ending.

I didn't find the Bebe thing to be too much of a deus ex machina, as she sowed the seeds for it quite early on, but I did find that the book ended a little abruptly. Also, for the serious subject matter in the backstories of all the characters I felt there could have been more introspection and slightly more depth to some of the POVs.

Maria was enjoyable, but probably my least favourite of the characters, but that's me being curmudgeonly and always preferring the side characters. ; )

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments I found Hito(sp) - i listened to the book - to be my favorite character. The conflict in himself was obvious but could have been a bit more detailed - like you mentioned Steve.

I found Maria a bit flat and her constant - it wasn't my fault attitude while understood became a bit too much to really like the character.

message 17: by Alan (new)

Alan | 158 comments Sandy wrote: "I found Hito(sp) - i listened to the book - to be my favorite character. The conflict in himself was obvious but could have been a bit more detailed - like you mentioned Steve.

I found Maria a bi..."

I definitely found myself more interested in Hiro after the yadokari thing was revealed. At first I found him fun but kind of obnoxious in that YA main character way, but his story was one of the most fascinating.

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments Sorry Hiro - yes definitely annoying to begin then much much better after the backstory. I also found IAN interesting and felt sorry for the priest.

I find the underlying concept of clones having no regard for life a bit pervasive. Would people really feel that way and what of the idea that the soul is gone? I guess what we see about violence on tv says that people get used to it.

Where is the love of life in a future like this? Would have been better if the author had explained why the turning around of the ship and where they were going and why. We knew what the clones hoped to gain but what about the people in cryo?

message 19: by Alan (new)

Alan | 158 comments Sandy wrote: "Sorry Hiro - yes definitely annoying to begin then much much better after the backstory. I also found IAN interesting and felt sorry for the priest.

I find the underlying concept of clones having..."

Yeah--I mean, like you I'm not sure it's realistic that people would lose respect for the life. There's the issue of whether, for instance, the new clone really is the previous clone (or human). However similar the second clone feels, for instance, the consciousness of the initial person and any subsequent clones were presumable/arguably separate individuals, and so still "died." I feel like Lafferty flirted with this issue, but never really dug down into it.

And yeah--I would have liked a bit more worldbuilding all around (both in terms of society in general, but specifically the ship and the people in cryo). We get a few brief descriptions of the ship, but the narrative and atmosphere would have been enriched if the author had fleshed out the aspects you mention a bit more.

Wolfgang (the priest), was definitely my favourite. His story is just so full of tension and existential horror, and I'd have loved to see into his mind a bit more.

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments Totally agree Steve! Great points. Maybe I am a bit too critical as I am used to reading series that have more time to build the world.

I did kind of think that Wolfgang was a bit of a prig though. How can anyone of a religious nature be so sure that this new people were abominations. Are people brought back from the dead in a hospital an abomination?

I find the hardest concept in religion to understand is the surety of I'm right and if you don't believe what I believe you are damned. I think that the author could have done a lot with that. How did that effect his beliefs. Is belief a part that can be removed or is it a part that has grown over the life of our experiences.

message 21: by Alan (new)

Alan | 158 comments Sandy wrote: "Totally agree Steve! Great points. Maybe I am a bit too critical as I am used to reading series that have more time to build the world.

I did kind of think that Wolfgang was a bit of a prig thoug..."

I also like books/series with a lot of worldbuilding, so I definitely agree with your issues! I think if the book had included more of that it would have elevated the novel a lot.

And yes, haha. Wolfgang was definitely an asshole in many ways--I don't mean to dismiss his bigotry. I tend to just find very troubled characters like that interesting. Like you, I would have liked to have seen more of how his opinions were actually altered (it wasn't entirely clear to me how the process had affected him in his backstory).

message 22: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 3050 comments Mod
I really enjoyed this one. Locked room mystery in space with group-wide amnesia (kinda) and so many secrets all rolled into one. I thought this was a great story and I really enjoyed it.

And yeah, I'd vote for Sallie as the villain.

message 23: by Saba (new)

Saba | 3 comments I really, REALLY recommend you play FTL before, during, or after reading this book. It's partially inspired by the game, and seriously it adds to the book to play the game, where your unique crew and the crazy random experiences kind of remind me of the topsy turvy voyage of the Dormire. I promise I don't work for FTL developers, but just so you know it's super cheap on the Steam sale right now :)

message 24: by Alan (new)

Alan | 158 comments Saba wrote: "I really, REALLY recommend you play FTL before, during, or after reading this book. It's partially inspired by the game, and seriously it adds to the book to play the game, where your unique crew a..."

I read her interview at the end and it mentioned this! I have a feeling it was one of a number of steam games my friend showed me a few years ago, but I could be wrong. Whatever it was was super hard, haha.