Hoyt's Huns discussion

The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)
This topic is about The Goose Girl
Book Of the Month Discussion > The Goose Girl -- June 2018 -- spoilers allowed

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 2488 comments Mod
Free discussion of any element.

message 2: by Sheryl (last edited Jun 29, 2018 07:09AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sheryl Tribble | 83 comments I liked it alright as a novel, but was disappointed in it, a bit, as a variation on the original fable. For instance, the author undercut some of the power of the original story by making Ani's mother so horrible that the symbolism of losing the blooded handkerchief was completely eliminated.

Somewhat ironically,the author also kept to the original where it clashes badly with the story she's actually telling -- Ani's horrified by the hanging criminals and protests this savagery, but she lets the false punishment for treason stand when it comes to Selia, making her people look even more savage than the Bayerns! The story also undercuts the point of the original tale that the servant chooses her own fate.

And I really hate the name Selia for someone who betrays and lies. That's just painful.

I usually like books based on fairy tales, even as I grumble about the changes, but I think I would have liked this one a lot better if I didn't know the source she was bouncing off of, which is unusual. As a story, it's pretty solid. But I felt like it was written by someone who didn't like the original fairy tale and wanted to fix it, rather than by someone inspired by a fairy tale they'd always loved.

message 3: by Clyde (last edited Jun 29, 2018 08:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Clyde (wishamc) | 334 comments I quite enjoyed Hale's rendition of The Goose Girl. It probably helped that I was not familiar with the source Grimm Brothers tale. (Probably read it decades ago but didn't remember the details.)
My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...