Jewish Book Club discussion

Spies in Palestine: Love, Betrayal and the Heroic Life of Sarah Aaronsohn
This topic is about Spies in Palestine
23 views
Buddy Reads, etc. > Spies in Palestine; 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 67 comments In my most recent trip to Israel, I visited the village of Zichron Ya'akov and the Aaronsohn's home, which now houses the NILI spy museum. Sarah Aaronsohn was the de facto leader of a spy ring working for the British against the Ottoman Empire and Turkish army during World War I.

Spies in Palestine by James Scrodes provides an extensive history of the collapse of the Ottoman Empire and its final days as a result of World War I. The book describes how the Aaronsohn family came to be committed to the Allied side and how they formed the NILI spy organization. The intelligence NILI gathered was critical for the British and would result in one of the first major victories for the Allies during the War.

This is a rather scholarly book, but I found it interesting as I had recently seen first-hand the site where NILI was housed. Although the events of this book took place before the creation of the State of Israel, it is, nonetheless an important piece of Israeli history.


message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip Mann | 28 comments It sounds fascinating. And by the way, Israeli history didn't begin with the war of Independence. You could go back to the yishuvs, mid-nineteenth century, or even before, to how the Jews never totally abandoned the country.


message 3: by Stacey B (new)

Stacey B | 1183 comments Mod
Hahtoolah wrote: "In my most recent trip to Israel, I visited the village of Zichron Ya'akov and the Aaronsohn's home, which now houses the NILI spy museum. Sarah Aaronsohn was the de facto leader of a spy ring work..."

I love your comments and review. So true.
I was there too and felt the same.
Have you been to Ayolon Institute in Tel Aviv?
Its really a fascinating -museum, not an institute as we know it.
Google it.
I think it deserves more credit on the map that it is given.


message 4: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 67 comments Stacey wrote: "Hahtoolah wrote: "In my most recent trip to Israel, I visited the village of Zichron Ya'akov and the Aaronsohn's home, which now houses the NILI spy museum. Sarah Aaronsohn was the de facto leader ..."

Yes, I have been to the Aylon Institute. It was really amazing. It is also a place that I recommend to people when they ask about things to visit in Israel.


message 5: by Stacey B (new)

Stacey B | 1183 comments Mod
Hahtoolah wrote: "Stacey wrote: "Hahtoolah wrote: "In my most recent trip to Israel, I visited the village of Zichron Ya'akov and the Aaronsohn's home, which now houses the NILI spy museum. Sarah Aaronsohn was the d..."

I do the same thing. :)
It was clever thinking, executed in such sequential order that blew me away; right down to the purpose of the sunlamps.
Unbelievable!!!!


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I was born in Israel but but spent little to no time south of Tel Aviv. I haven't been to Tel Aviv for a while but I will most definitely look this up the next time I go. You both peaked my interested and I looked into it. A great piece of history Israel's history.


back to top