Play Book Tag discussion

Spies in Palestine: Love, Betrayal and the Heroic Life of Sarah Aaronsohn
This topic is about Spies in Palestine
Archive: Other Books > Spies in Palestine; 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 437 comments In my most recent trip to Israel, I visited the village of Zichron Ya'akov and the Aaronsohn's home, which now houses the NILI spy museum. Sarah Aaronsohn was the de facto leader of a spy ring working for the British against the Ottoman Empire and Turkish army during World War I.

Spies in Palestine by James Scrodes provides an extensive history of the collapse of the Ottoman Empire and its final days as a result of World War I. The book describes how the Aaronsohn family came to be committed to the Allied side and how they formed the NILI spy organization. The intelligence NILI gathered was critical for the British and would result in one of the first major victories for the Allies during the War.

This is a rather scholarly book, but I found it interesting as I had recently seen first-hand the site where NILI was housed.

3 Stars

message 2: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I didn’t realize you can visit the Aharonsons house.
As a kid, I read and reread dozens of time a book called ‘Sarah, hero of NILI’ and loved it so much.

Thanks for the recommendation - I think I will have to read it

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

This sounds very interesting and thats exciting that you were able to visit this home. I love history.:)