2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Love and Other Words
This topic is about Love and Other Words
Love and Other Words > Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Jun 14, 2018 05:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
The story of the heart can never be unwritten.

Macy Sorensen is settling into an ambitious if emotionally tepid routine: work hard as a new pediatrics resident, plan her wedding to an older, financially secure man, keep her head down and heart tucked away.

But when she runs into Elliot Petropoulos—the first and only love of her life—the careful bubble she’s constructed begins to dissolve. Once upon a time, Elliot was Macy’s entire world—growing from her gangly bookish friend into the man who coaxed her heart open again after the loss of her mother...only to break it on the very night he declared his love for her.

Told in alternating timelines between Then and Now, teenage Elliot and Macy grow from friends to much more—spending weekends and lazy summers together in a house outside of San Francisco devouring books, sharing favorite words, and talking through their growing pains and triumphs. As adults, they have become strangers to one another until their chance reunion. Although their memories are obscured by the agony of what happened that night so many years ago, Elliot will come to understand the truth behind Macy’s decade-long silence, and will have to overcome the past and himself to revive her faith in the possibility of an all-consuming love.

Settings
San Francisco, California
Healdsburg, California
New York, New York

Prologue
46 Chapters

Character List
(view spoiler)

Laura and I plan to have an open, unstructured discussion of this book later today. All who’ve read the book are invited to join in.

Laura | 383 comments I remember looking down at page 81 and thinking to myself that I have been on the verge of tears the entire beginning. Macy and her mom's love of books, her mom dying and the list/manual she wrote for Macy's dad to help him raise her really got me.

Gah!!!! That choked me up, too. Her poor father, having to try and raise his daughter alone and follow this script his wife left. Tough business.

I really liked, however, the whole notion of Elliot and Macy's entire relationship being in a closet over books!

(FYI, I’ve added the character list above.)

What did you think of how the story was told? Did it bother you that we didn’t learn what broke them up until near the end?

Btw, I loved how the big event was revealed.

Laura | 383 comments Yes, their relationship over books hurt my heart too, everything choked me up. Every aspect was great. Elliot Swoon!! I'm usually not a fan of the back and forth, present / past but I thought it really couldn't have done it any other way. I thought it brilliant. We knew he died but never in a million years did I guess how. I had an idea about the Emma part but not the dad. OMG!

Laura | 383 comments It makes sense her not calling now. The whole chain of events that led to her fathers death. Elliot getting drunk, Emma, Christians comments, her not calling her dad, him being worried about Macy, I'm still thinking about it. That's some brilliant writing right there.

Laura wrote: "Yes, their relationship over books hurt my heart too, everything choked me up. Every aspect was great. Elliot Swoon!! I'm usually not a fan of the back and forth, present / past but I thought it re..."

I had a feeling that Emma factored in the breakup but not as bad as it turned out to be.

Elliot was nerd sexy! Loved him.

How her father died almost made me cry. I wasn’t prepared for all that happened surrounding that crash. Poor Macy. I’ve seen a few reviews that couldn’t understand why she didn’t just pick up the phone and call Elliott. That poor girl was so traumatized I’m surprised she turned out so well.

Laura wrote: "It makes sense her not calling now. The whole chain of events that led to her fathers death. Elliot getting drunk, Emma, Christians comments, her not calling her dad, him being worried about Macy, ..."

Definitely brilliant writing!

What did you think about her relationship with Sean Chen? Was he even in love with her?

Laura | 383 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "Yes, their relationship over books hurt my heart too, everything choked me up. Every aspect was great. Elliot Swoon!! I'm usually not a fan of the back and forth, present / past but I..."

She was amazing, she was basically alone from the age 18.
This book is Kristen Hannahish Whom I have sworn off because Firefly Lane did me in. This ranks up there with that. Also Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover these are my top three sobfest reads.
I will never write off Christina Lauren tho-

Oh, and Elliot’s poor girlfriend, Rachel. I knew he was committed to Macy as soon as he acknowledged that he’d ended the relationship the next day after seeing her in the coffee shop.

But what was he thinking in inviting her to that Thanksgiving dinner???

Laura | 383 comments Jonetta wrote: "Oh, and Elliot’s poor girlfriend, Rachel. I knew he was committed to Macy as soon as he acknowledged that he’d ended the relationship the next day after seeing her in the coffee shop.

But what wa..."

I know right? Macy inviting Elliot to the picnic too with Sean was huh? Let's torture the poor guy.

Laura | 383 comments Jonetta wrote: "What did you think about her relationship with Sean Chen? Was he even in love with her?"

He admitted he wasn't in love with her and that he'd take back his ex wife. I didn't care for him much

Laura | 383 comments In your review you said it would make a great movie and I totally agree.

The entire time I was reading it I could see the movie in my head.

I have Ugly Love but haven’t read it yet.

When Macy saw Elliot in the coffee shop, she tried to escape without him seeing her. Do you think she might have sought him out later?

Laura | 383 comments Jonetta wrote: "The entire time I was reading it I could see the movie in my head.

I have Ugly Love but haven’t read it yet."

I loved Ugly Love and it is told very similarly to this present to past. You should give it a try. It is the only Colleen Hoover book I've read.

Some other things I loved:

1. The word of the day.
2. Elliot’s family.
3. Sabrina (she knew IMMEDIATELY what it meant running into Elliot at the coffee shop.
4. How perfect Macy’s mother’s instructions were.

Laura | 383 comments Jonetta wrote: "When Macy saw Elliot in the coffee shop, she tried to escape without him seeing her. Do you think she might have sought him out later?"

I'm guessing Sabrina would have made her find him. Maybe done the searching for her. I loved Sabrina

Laura wrote: "I'm guessing Sabrina would have made her find him. Maybe done the searching for her. I loved Sabrina ..."

I think you’re right! She was Team Elliot from the start:)

Laura wrote: "I loved Ugly Love and it is told very similarly to this present to past. You should give it a try. It is the only Colleen Hoover book I've read. ..."

I have Confess on my plan this month (probably won’t get to it but I’d like to try).

Laura | 383 comments Jonetta wrote: "Some other things I loved:

1. The word of the day.
2. Elliot’s family.
3. Sabrina (she knew IMMEDIATELY what it meant running into Elliot at the coffee shop.
4. How perfect Macy’s mother’s inst..."

YES to all we think alike.
Except the instructions to count to ten when nervous caused Elliot to storm off, but it did lead to them finally talking through the whole issue. Why did Elliot's parents not wonder or seek out Duncan, though. They just accepted them falling off the face of the earth.

Laura | 383 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "I'm guessing Sabrina would have made her find him. Maybe done the searching for her. I loved Sabrina ..."

I think you’re right! She was Team Elliot from the start:)"

Yeah she knew Sean wasn't right for Macy

Laura wrote: "Why did Elliot's parents not wonder or seek out Duncan, though. They just accepted them falling off the face of the earth...."

I think Elliot told them what happened and they decided to stay out of it. That cabin was a vacation place for the Sorensons, not their permanent residence.

Laura wrote: "Yeah she knew Sean wasn't right for Macy
..."

It’s bad news when your guy has no interest in your friends or important things in your life.

Remember the first time they had sex and almost got caught? I’m pretty certain her father knew.

Laura | 383 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "Why did Elliot's parents not wonder or seek out Duncan, though. They just accepted them falling off the face of the earth...."

I think Elliot told them what happened and they decided..."

That makes sense

Laura | 383 comments Jonetta wrote: "Remember the first time they had sex and almost got caught? I’m pretty certain her father knew."

That was classic, that poor guy. And him looking up what to do when Macy got her period. Lol He was the best.

Laura | 383 comments How he treated Macy made his death 100x more shocking.

He really was. I was devastated when he died and we only knew him through Macy. That’s why I could imagine her being emotionally paralyzed.

Laura wrote: "How he treated Macy made his death 100x more shocking."

I know. He centered his whole life around her.

This was a brilliant piece of writing from start to finish. I was so excited I could hardly write my review.

Laura | 383 comments Maybe she got through it because she thinks he and her mom were together now,

Laura wrote: "Maybe she got through it because she thinks he and her mom were together now,"

I think it was just time. At some point you just have to get up and go on. But, the fact that she settled for Sean told me she was still not quite there. She needed Elliot and didn’t know how to do it. Even later when she figured out what probably happened at that party, she didn’t know how to tell him about her father without hurting him.

Laura | 383 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "Maybe she got through it because she thinks he and her mom were together now,"

I think it was just time. At some point you just have to get up and go on. But, the fact that she settl..."

Great insight!

Laura | 383 comments More people have to read this. I got it from the library, but I'm buying my own. I don't want to return it.

I have both the eBook and the audiobook. Do you want either?

I agree! I tried to shout in my review to get people excited about this book. I’m nominating it for a GR Choice Award this year.

Laura | 383 comments Jonetta wrote: "I have both the eBook and the audiobook. Do you want either?"

I want the paperback I think. I prefer E books but my all time faves I like a paperback copy, This will be my fourth Christina Lauren I've bought the paperback after reading it, to add to my favorite shelf.
That's awesome about nominating it. Great idea.

Sure thing. I keep some of the newer print books on my shelf but most of mine pre-date eBooks:)

Couple of passages at the end that just slayed me:

“In the morning, he’ll be here. His clothes will be here, and his books, and his toothbrush. I’ll pour cereal while he showers. Maybe he’ll come find me in the kitchen holding a cup of coffee and I won’t know he’s there until I feel the press of his lips to the top of my head. The anticipation I feel for this everyday life of moving around him is so enormous, it fills me with a heavy, shimmering heat.”

“Elliot’s hands slide lower on my back, his head bends close to mine. George cracks a joke about us needing to get a room. Andreas cracks back that George is the one with the knocked-up wife. And then Miss Dina is off on a tear in the kitchen about babies, and maybe more weddings, and I watch Elliot struggle to block it all out. He winces, shifting his glasses up his nose, and studies me the way he always did, as if he could read my mind one blink at a time. Maybe he could.
“Favorite word?” he whispers.
I don’t even hesitate: “You.”

It also occurred to me that Macy didn’t just lose Elliot, she lost that family that had become so important to her.

Laura | 383 comments Jonetta wrote: "It also occurred to me that Macy didn’t just lose Elliot, she lost that family that had become so important to her."
Aww yes and now she has a family. The passage in the kitchen reminds me how she described how her parents were with each other and how she wouldn't settle for less, but she almost did with Sean.
I also was thinking that she really didn't have anyone to talk to about Elliot throughout their whole relationship. No close girlfriends really until Sabrina. I couldn't fault her for anything really.

message 46: by Jonetta (last edited Jun 14, 2018 06:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura wrote: "Aww yes and now she has a family. The passage in the kitchen reminds me how she described how her parents were with each other and how she wouldn't settle for less, but she almost did with Sean.

I also was thinking that she really didn't have anyone to talk to about Elliot throughout their whole relationship. No close girlfriends really until Sabrina. I couldn't fault her for anything really. ..."

She had no one as her aunt and uncle were just too cold and detached. Maybe if they’d been more emotionally connected, Macy would have recovered earlier.

Laura | 383 comments In hindsight, if Elliot would have found her before she forgave him, and processed everything, they may not have made it. He would have got his answers but it wouldn't have helped them as a couple I don't think. So it was a necessary separation.

Off to work I go, still thinking about this. I won't get anything done. Lol.

Laura | 383 comments Also thanks for setting this up. I'm enjoying this.

Laura wrote: "In hindsight, if Elliot would have found her before she forgave him, and processed everything, they may not have made it. He would have got his answers but it wouldn't have helped them as a couple ..."

I’m with you on that. It took all of those years for Macy to heal in order for her to be receptive to his love again. In time, she even knew in her heart that the Emma thing didn’t look right and she knew he loved her. I’m not sure her heart and mind could have been open to this so close to the event. It may have fractured them forever.

Laura wrote: "Also thanks for setting this up. I'm enjoying this."

Me, too and you’re welcome.

« previous 1

2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ugly Love (other topics)