Play Book Tag discussion

June 2018: Magical Realism > The Astonishing Color of After - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Glad I bumped this up my to-read list.

Review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I keep hearing good things about this one. Thanks for the review.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I do not know if it is a new trend, or if I am just noticing it more lately, but YA has recently had some excellent books that tackle very serious issues. And I also have enjoyed them!

I have heard good things about this book, and am adding it to my list!

message 4: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Nicole R wrote: "I do not know if it is a new trend, or if I am just noticing it more lately, but YA has recently had some excellent books that tackle very serious issues. And I also have enjoyed them!

I have hea..."

I feel like YA as a whole has generally tackled serious issues. S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders is generally considered the earliest YA fic, and it deals with plenty of class issues. The direction YA seems to be moving lately is diversifying in terms of issues and identities, and as glacially slow as publishing tends to move, I think it's fabulous that the progress is happening.

message 5: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments I love YA books. They are often considered "problem" books as they address the problems facing young adult. Being a librarian in a public library, I've run across parents who are not happy about some of them, leading me to read them. I do think there is an age-appropriateness but that is an issue better handled by a parent than a librarian!