World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Congrats to US, Canada & Mexico (a one country by then?) for getting to host World Cup in 2026. What, N. Korea voted for Morocco?! Hope it's not a pretext to renounce Singapore's understandings..
Anyhow, tomorrow the long awaited football (soccer) festival is about to begin in Russia.
Who's gonna be watching?
Whatever are your thoughts and observations that you feel like sharing, here's the place.

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer We plan to watch! My husband isn't big on sports, but I'd like to watch the games even though I don't really know the rules. He said he'll watch with me. I got him watching American Football, the Chicago Bears, so maybe after the Word Cup, he'll take me to a game next season.

Since the U.S. isn't playing, I'll be cheering for Germany and Italy. :D

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 78 comments Sad Netherlands is not in, I'll be rooting for Spain and Argentina.

message 4: by Nik (last edited Jun 14, 2018 02:35AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Anita wrote: "... Argentina."

Should be Messi's last chance to bring the cup home..

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Denise wrote: "..Germany..."

Among the favorites by any scale.

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Hope there will be surprises and Croatia, especially with Modrich's fantastic form, can make one

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments Re Canada, US and Mexico get the hosting rights, who gets the "free entry"? They could play off, but will there be angst? The US will probably have the most facilities.

Another interesting issue is the draw - having to go and play in Mexico City is a disadvantage because of the altitude if you don't have time to adjust, and sometimes there is very little time between games.

message 8: by Alex (last edited Jun 15, 2018 09:27PM) (new)

Alex (asato) Did you hear?

Moscow Officials Deny Accusations Of Money Laundering After World Cup Game Played In $1.2 Billion Vacant Gravel Lot

From the satirical news site, theonion.com.

https://sports.theonion.com/moscow-of...

message 9: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Alex wrote: "Moscow Officials Deny Accusations Of Money Laundering After World Cup Game Played In $1.2 Billion Vacant Gravel Lot..."

Who launders money in Moscow?! What a ridiculous thought -:)

message 10: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments So far some surprises, the biggest today: Mexico defeating Germany, winner of the previous World Cup.
Denise, don't despair, it's just the beginning

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments I thought Iceland was an even bigger surprise.

message 12: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments It is a surprise, although they impressed in European tournament 2 years ago even defeating England to reach quarterfinals and they won confidently their qualification group, comprised of good teams, so a tiny Iceland is a tough and competitive squad for any rival at least at this early stage...

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments As for Germany, I heard on the radio here this morning there could be a very early exit for either Germany or Brazil as they could meet in the first knockout round. I seem to have managed to lose my copy of the draw, so I don't actually know if that is possible or not.

message 14: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Nik wrote: "So far some surprises, the biggest today: Mexico defeating Germany, winner of the previous World Cup.
Denise, don't despair, it's just the beginning"

I know that was horrible. I was yelling at the television while my husband looked at me as if I was possessed. *sighs* Anyways, I told him you always know who wants the win the most. Germany did not play that well.

Ian wrote: "As for Germany, I heard on the radio here this morning there could be a very early exit for either Germany or Brazil as they could meet in the first knockout round."

The way they played yesterday, yeah, I can see Germany exiting early.

I think Coach Joachim Löw, needs to do less this, https://youtu.be/QT83XwFpJvU, and more coaching.

message 15: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments I watched a recorded Brazil game, and I thought (a), their shooting was rather poor because Brazil usually has excellent control, (b) their midfield game needs stirring up, and (c) the refereeing was bizarre. One Brazilian had a Swiss guy wrap his arms around him as if in a rugby league tackle. Mind you, any league player that couldn't break out of that feeble attempt deserves to be dropped from the team, but I guess round ball players don't train to break that sort of thing. So why didn't the referee award a penalty? If this is going to be plagued by erratic refereeing, it is not going to be so good to watch.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. The games I have watched so far have had suspect refereeing at best.

message 17: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Ian wrote: "So why didn't the referee award a penalty?.."

Some say such situs are to referee's discretion. With introduction of VAR since this Cup, refereeing is supposed to become less of an issue.
In case of Brazilians, it looked like they were fooling around, while Swiss came organized and motivated. A class alone becomes insufficient to win games, a real effort is required too..

As of the previous questions, yes, group F & E are bound to meet in the next round, so Germany vs Brasil at early stage is quite feasible
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FI...

message 18: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments The referee having discretion is all very well, but basic rules should be enforced otherwise it becomes a lottery, and worse, it goes to bias.

I don't quite agree the Brazilians were fooling around. True, they weren't as crisp as they should have been, and many of their efforts were substandard (for them) but I suspect that was more their not having gelled as a team yet.

message 19: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments England demonstrated nothing spectacular but achieved 3 points. Maybe not overly dominant, but with 2 goals scored what more is required of Hurricane?

message 20: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments Nik wrote: "England demonstrated nothing spectacular but achieved 3 points. Maybe not overly dominant, but with 2 goals scored what more is required of Hurricane?"

To inspire a better performance from the others in later games?

message 21: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Playing in the weakest group, nevertheless Russia's first to qualify for a knockout stage after 2 wins.

message 22: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Looking 4ward 2 Croatia - Argentina. About time Messi starts to live up to the event

message 23: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Messi choked, Argentina is on the verge of leaving the tournament

message 24: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments Nik wrote: "Messi choked, Argentina is on the verge of leaving the tournament"

It is true Messi should have scored, but so should Perez, and the goalkeeper gifted the first goal and did not shine on the last one. A lot of others could have done better. It makes Iceland's next game interesting.

message 25: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Although it was Switzerland vs Serbia, in fact it seemed to boil down to Kosovars settling scores with Serbs...

message 26: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments My latest criticism is with the commentators in our feed. In particular, they made a silly comment when Neymar missed a shot, going to the right, but not by much. With the openings there, and the need to beat the keeper, I thought it was a good try that did not come off. Brazil were peppering the goal against Costa Rica, but continually sending them straight at the keeper, or over the top. The real puzzle to me is, why can't they do a bit better? They don't seem to be able to get it together at the end, which is a little different from the other big teams' failings, like Argentina's

message 27: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 3079 comments Germany last minute of 5th minute of injury time!

message 28: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments An amazing comeback!
Somebody brought to my attention what a winners are Kroos, Ronaldo, Modrich and how pivotal they are for their respective national teams. No wonder Real rules in Europe for 3 consecutive years

message 29: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments What I don't understand is why referees now seem to not care about tackling from behind, especially when little effort is made to contact the ball. I felt that the Swedes were really done out of a penalty too after about half an hour. I hope this tournament is to going to suffer badly from erratic refereeing.

I also slightly disagree with Nik. Yes, Ronaldo scores, but he also get opportunities. I think the Portuguese mid-fielders deserve a lot of the credit for setting these shots up.

message 30: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments It's not only scoring, it's also when and their significance - of winning/equalizing the game. Ronaldo free kick on 88 min vs Spain and Tony Kroos 95 min vs Sweden. If to compare with missed penalty kick by Messi, it's clear who are winners and who are less so.. Although things might change..
As of refereeing - mistakes continue to occur, but equally a lot of them get reversed by VAR or otherwise. Although after some hesitation, Boateng (?) received second yellow and left the pitch. Didn't help Swedes to hold out...

message 31: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Just allegations, but how can a World Cup run without a scandal? Since Russian team covered the longest distance on BOTH of their games, hints at possible use of doping started to circulate again: https://www.theguardian.com/football/...

message 32: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments Maybe they wanted to win more. Maybe the other were slack. Without data, sounds like a cheap shot to me.

message 33: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Go socceroos!

Vs Peru - 26 June @1500 BST

message 34: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Mini-dramas in group B, but in the end Spain and Portugal qualify for playoffs. Now, Spain - Russia, Portugal - Uruguay sound quite exciting

message 35: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments Russia might have had an easier pool, but coming up against Spain now is somewhat tougher. So far, Uruguay seem to be playing quite well, to the game against Portugal should be a good one.

message 36: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Vs Morocco, Spain didn't impress: Iniesta lost his precision, Costa looks playing on his own, midfielders not tuned with defense, but the talent is there, so I'd say still 70-30 for Spain vs Russia.

message 37: by Nik (last edited Jun 26, 2018 11:25PM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Argentina's saved by the skin of their teeth. Anyway glad Messi and teammates stay with us a little longer. Maradona looked out of it each time camera caught him

message 38: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments Apparently Maradona was taken to hospital. Watching Argentina was too much for him.

message 39: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Ian wrote: "Apparently Maradona was taken to hospital. Watching Argentina was too much for him."

Hope it's not drugs

message 40: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments At the moment, he does not look a all athletic. Could be anything.

Speaking of the Argentina game, what does everyone think about the controversial non-penalty for Nigeria. The facts as I see it was that when the Argentinian went to head the ball he brought his arm up, and he headed the ball down, but the arm stopped it from going away from him and dropped down by his foot. When I was reading up for refereeing, I had a book from a leading referee, and his comment was, the higher the skill level of the player, the more likely a hand ball will be deliberate. When I first saw that, I felt that it was a hand ball (the arm is part of the hand as far as that rule goes unless the arm is held by the side of the body and the ball strikes it, not the arm used to strike the ball). What do you all think? I know - a bit of a hobby horse with me, but I hate to see refereeing blunders determine the game, and this time we have technology. There should not be any "hands of God".

message 41: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments To me the hand looked unintentional, although I know that some interpret 'unintentional' as being pressed to the body or in 'natural position'. Football rules, like laws in general, are not mathematics and some situs will always be left to referee's discretion. Not the best refereeing from Chakir yesterday, but I'd go with him on 'no penalty' there.

message 42: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments And now the first sensation - Germany, the winner of the previous cup, is out! Unbelievable

message 43: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments Nik wrote: "To me the hand looked unintentional, although I know that some interpret 'unintentional' as being pressed to the body or in 'natural position'. Football rules, like laws in general, are not mathema..."

Yes, but in my view the skilled player makes it look unintentional. The skill is not in moving the arm to the right place; it is heading it down onto the arm, which happens to be held out at the right place. The reason I think it was wrong is the way the head was placed to get the ball onto the arm. My view anyway :-)

message 44: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments Nik wrote: "And now the first sensation - Germany, the winner of the previous cup, is out! Unbelievable"

The big boys don't seem to be firing well. The bookies will love this - there must be a lot of long-range punters tearing up their chits already.

message 45: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Brazil improved, although from the beginning of the 2-nd half and until the 2-nd goal, Serbia dominated and deserved at least one goal, but the fact they didn't maybe demonstrate the difference in class... Brazil is a clear favorite vs Mexico and looks solid for quarterfinals..

message 46: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11786 comments I watched the Brazil replay, and I have a feeling they might just be on the verge of getting their act together. Their problem so fa tis they are very skilled, but somewhat uncoordinated as a team, but I feel they are just showing signs of getting it right. I hate to predict in this world cup because I expected Germany to do better but i think Brazil will win the next game. The one for me tonight is England/Belgium. Can England avoid their tendency to self-destruct?

message 47: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1908 comments Well, Australia lost!!

message 48: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 3079 comments Ian wrote: "I watched the Brazil replay, and I have a feeling they might just be on the verge of getting their act together. Their problem so fa tis they are very skilled, but somewhat uncoordinated as a team,..."

As both are through to next round I predict another France Denmark bore as neither wishes to win the group

message 49: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Ian wrote: "England/Belgium..."

Yes, should be one of the best games of the first stage, as both teams showed solid football. As they both qualified and the game has no particular significance we might see some reserves substituting the leaders. Anyway, anticipating with interest. Should go well with an evening drink-:)

message 50: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16071 comments Mehreen wrote: "Well, Australia lost!!"

And unfortunately so -:(

« previous 1 3