Catholic Thought discussion

The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ: From the Visions of Anne Catherine Emmerich
Dolorous Passion of Our Lord > Passion of Jesus Meditations 1 and 2

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Doreen Petersen | 440 comments Our group read is now open. The first focus will be the first 2 meditations of the author.
MEDITATION 1 SUMMARY:
Preparations for the Pasch (Holy Thursday) are begun. The supper is to be held in a room which belonged to Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea.
MEDITATION 2 SUMMARY:
Description of the supper-room. An altar for the roasting of the Paschal Lamb. Different rooms for different purposes.

Doreen Petersen | 440 comments What do you think of the willingness of Nicodemus and Joseph Of Arimathea to provide a place for the Last Supper?

message 3: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike I am glad that we are reading this book in little chunks; too often I just keep going until the end and then I try to reflect upon the messages. Now I am looking at short sections and trying to think about the messages within the past few pages.

As I thought about the introduction two images really impressed me; first Sister Emmerich would frequently kneel outside of the church waiting for the doors to open for morning mass. That is to me the picture of unbridled love for Jesus Christ.

Secondly, Sister Emmerich did not seem to pray for herself but for others. She not only prayed for others but she prayed that the burdens of their pain and suffering be placed on her shoulders. In a very small way she may have wanted to imitate Christ’s suffering for us.

Today many pray for the relief of suffering that burdens neighbors or friends but praying to the Lord to be allowed to shoulder the burden in place of that neighbor goes way beyond charity.

Doreen Petersen | 440 comments That is so true Mike. If only everyone could to embrace this approach I think the world would be a better place. I did admire the courage of Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea in offering a place for the Last Supper to be held in. It was a selfless act and to me showed devotion to Jesus.

message 5: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Rao Doreen wrote: "That is so true Mike. If only everyone could to embrace this approach I think the world would be a better place. I did admire the courage of Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea in offering a place fo..."

Let's keep in mind that these men hid in the shadows not daring to openly declare their belief in Jesus as the Messiah.

Doreen Petersen | 440 comments Nick wrote: "Doreen wrote: "That is so true Mike. If only everyone could to embrace this approach I think the world would be a better place. I did admire the courage of Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea in offe..."

Although they hid in the shadows at the time I believe they believed in what Jesus preached. I could be wrong but something tells me they were leaning in that direction.

message 7: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Rao Doreen wrote: "Nick wrote: "Doreen wrote: "That is so true Mike. If only everyone could to embrace this approach I think the world would be a better place. I did admire the courage of Nicodemus and Joseph of Arim..."

They believed but were they willing to give it all up for Christ? Remember what Jesus said to the rich young man who wanted to join him. He told him to go and give away all his wealth and then he could join him. The young man walked off discouraged never to return. I liken Nicodemus and Joseph similar in that they weren't willing to give it all up. The Christians in Mosul Iraq who were martyred recently were willing to give it all up. That is what I'm talking about.

Doreen Petersen | 440 comments I see your point now Nick. As far as the Christians in Mosul, Iraq I pray for them everyday. Nicodemus and Joseph were not like the Apostles who literally gave everything up to follow Jesus. Was very insightful of you to bring this out and I thank you.

message 9: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Rao Doreen wrote: "I see your point now Nick. As far as the Christians in Mosul, Iraq I pray for them everyday. Nicodemus and Joseph were not like the Apostles who literally gave everything up to follow Jesus. Was ve..."

Yes, remember these were men like us flesh and blood and they were fearful. They believed in Christ but they were human and frail As we are. Can I say for sure, if I was asked to renounce my faith to save my life, that i would choose martyrdom. I hope that I would.