YA LGBT Books discussion

New Releases > October 2014 New Releases

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments This is for YA books with significant LGBT content released in October 2014 - anyone can post books here (author or not.) If the book is on Goodreads please link it (and maybe show us the cover.) If you read it, feel free to add a short comment or synopsis. Consider also adding the book to our group bookshelf.

Thanks for helping to keep our group up to date.

message 2: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Released 14th October by Bold Stroke Books
Maxine Wore Black by Nora Olsen Maxine Wore Black by Nora Olssen

Maxine is the girl of Jayla’s dreams: she’s charming, magnetic, and loves Jayla for her transgender self. There’s only one problem with Maxine—she already has a girlfriend, perfect Becky.

Jayla quickly falls under Maxine’s spell, and she’s willing to do anything to win her. But when Becky turns up dead, Jayla is pulled into a tangle of deceit, lies, and murder. Now Jayla is forced to choose between love and the truth.

Jayla will need all the strength she has to escape the darkness that threatens to take her very life.

message 3: by K (last edited Aug 26, 2014 10:14AM) (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Released 14th October from Bold Stroke Books
Bottled Up Secret by Brian McNamara Bottled Up Secret by Brian McNamara

Brendan Madden is in the midst of his senior year of high school and couldn’t be happier. He has a great group of friends, his pick of colleges, and he has recently come to terms with his sexuality. One night, he meets Mark Galovic, a gorgeous, younger classmate of his. In a matter of minutes, Brendan is hooked. As the friendship between them grows, Brendan reaches his breaking point when he spontaneously confesses his feelings to him. Brendan is shocked and elated to find out that Mark feels the same way about him. The two begin to date, but because Mark is not out, it must remain a secret. As their friends and family become suspicious, openly gay Brendan becomes increasingly frustrated with their discreet relationship, while Mark becomes more and more paranoid that they’re going to be found out.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim (lokilady) | 389 comments Presumably, P.C. and Kristin Cast's final House of Night book, Redeemed , will include a supporting gay character, unless they've killed off the poor guy by now -- which wouldn't surprise me at all. I gave up on the series after they killed off his boyfriend.

There will also be these books:

Breaking Saint Jude , by Nikki Godwin

My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories (yep, in October!), edited by Stephanie Perkins

Even in Paradise , by Chelsey Philpot

The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus #5), by Rick Riordan, in which I hope we'll see the coming out of the character readers discovered was closeted in book #4.

And I'm waiting to hear back from someone who has already read another October title about how significant -- or not -- its queer content is.

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim (lokilady) | 389 comments Here's the last book I mentioned; apparently there are minor queer characters who play significant roles in Kelsey Macke's Damsel Distressed .

message 6: by K (last edited Sep 14, 2014 07:51AM) (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Released 2nd October by Harmony Ink Press

All the Devils Here by Astor Penn All the Devils Here by Astor Penn

Brie Hall, a sheltered and privileged teenager, is in her final year of boarding school in New York City when disaster strikes. A worldwide biological crisis, the origins of which are unknown, quickly decimates a large portion of the population, and there is no known cure. The threat of contamination is always present, and she cannot trust anyone she sees on the road, and as time goes on, she sees fewer travelers.

While journeying to find her family, Brie meets another wanderer, a girl with a past she can’t or won’t divulge. Circumstance force them together to escape notice of government-issued hazmat vehicles sent to deliver them to unknown conditions. With no hope of a cure, they do only what they can to survive and remain free, picking up new skills and hardening into people they never meant to become. While struggling to answer the question of how to survive a plague, they must also ask how they can survive the version of themselves they’ve become.

message 7: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Released 9th October by Harmony Ink Press

Under the Stars by Geoff Laughton Under the Stars by Geoff Laughton

Ethan Tanner is an out and proud, fastidious, and fashionable sixteen-year-old vegetarian who likes theater and musicals. This year, it’s his sister's turn to pick the vacation destination, so he ends up on a dude ranch he knows he is going to hate. What with the dirt, animals, and germs, he can’t possibly be happy.

Jason McCoy is the closeted sixteen-year-old son of the ranch owners and is trying to find his place in a world that doesn't seem to fit him. He takes an interest in Ethan, shows him around, and gets him to ride a horse. When he invites Ethan camping, Ethan thinks Jason must be joking. But Ethan takes a risk, and the two boys bond under the stars.

After that, Ethan and Jason are inseparable. Their friendship grows into something deeper as they begin to figure out what they want from life. But Ethan’s home is in Chicago, and the distance might be more than the two teenagers—and their blossoming relationship—can withstand.

message 8: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 105 comments Lindsay, Jo and the Tree of Forever, the sequel to Lindsay Versus the Marauders, will be out October 31st, just in time for Halloween. Here's the blurb for it;

"In this sequel to Lindsay Versus the Marauders, Lindsay Fleming returns to her humdrum life on Earth, still reeling from falling in love with Jo, a young woman who hails from the distant planet of Carinna.

Lindsay's life does not stay idle for too long, as Jo returns bearing bad tidings. It seems a madman has loosed a plague on her universe causing its inhabitants to age rapidly. Conventional science has failed, but there are compelling tales of the magical healing properties of the Tree of Ayeni.

Skeptical of this tree's powers, but willing to fight for her love, Lindsay sets off to save Jo's planet. Things are never as they seem, and as time starts to run out, everything becomes a matter of trust. Lindsay has to put her faith in two strangers, one of which is a rival for her girlfriend's affection. Can she save both this planet and her deep affection for Jo?"

message 9: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Released 16th October by Harmony Ink Press

When Ryan Came Back by Devon McCormack When Ryan Came Back by Devon McCormack

Steven's life changes forever the day he discovers his childhood friend and lifelong crush, Ryan Walters, standing in his bedroom. The problem? Ryan Walters committed suicide just days earlier.

Ryan tells Steven that he didn't kill himself. He believes he was murdered and that his death is linked to an article he was working on for the school paper. Steven sets out to solve the mystery, but as the story unfolds, so does Ryan's secret life of sex with guys and depression. Steven realizes suicide is more plausible than Ryan's conspiracy theory, but he struggles to convince Ryan of the real cause of his death. And despite revelations of his friend's closeted life, he must face the truth that Ryan doesn't—and never will—love him.

message 10: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 105 comments Just in from my publisher, the ARC's for Lindsay, Jo and the Tree of Forever. If anyone wants a copy--I have e-pub, mobi, and PDF--in exchange for an honest review here and/or Amazon.com, I'd be more than willing to send one your way. Just let me know your mail address (by PM) and it's yours.

--Thanks!

message 11: by Kim (new)

message 12: by Suki (new)

Suki Fleet (sukifleet) | 45 comments Hello, I'd like to add my story here but I'm not sure how to add the picture and a neat link?

It's called Wild Summer and releases on 23rd October with Harmony Ink. It's a spin off to This is Not a Love Story.

This is the synopsis-

At fifteen, Christopher falls in love with a boy whose life he saves. But things go wrong and four years later, he wishes he'd acted differently. His conscience begins to haunt him and he knows he must find Summer again.

At seventeen, Summer pushes away the boy who saved him. Four years later, he is stuck in an abusive, damaging relationship. When he sees Christopher again, it's a sign he can't go on living like he is, but he can't begin to see a way out.

For either boy to stand a chance at happiness, they must find each other and obliterate the wrongs of their shared past

Thank you,

Suki^^

message 13: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Released 23rd October by Harmony Ink Press

Wild Summer by Suki Fleet Wild Summer by Suki Fleet

Stand Alone spin off to This is Not a Love Story.

This is Crash's Story.

At fifteen, Christopher falls in love with a boy whose life he saves. But things go wrong and four years later, he wishes he'd acted differently. His conscience begins to haunt him and he knows he must find Summer again.

At seventeen, Summer pushes away the boy who saved him. Four years later, he is stuck in an abusive, damaging relationship. When he sees Christopher again, it's a sign he can't go on living like he is, but he can't begin to see a way out.

For either boy to stand a chance at happiness, they must find each other and obliterate the wrongs of their shared past

message 14: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Suki wrote: "Hello, I'd like to add my story here but I'm not sure how to add the picture and a neat link?

It's called Wild Summer and releases on 23rd October with Harmony Ink. It's a spin off to This is Not..."

For future reference, there is "add book/author" above the comment box - click on it and it lets you search for and add books or authors. At the bottom of the book list when you search are the options to add a link (title in words) or add a cover image (which also links to the book) - I recommend both since the phone app can't see the covers.

message 15: by Suki (new)

Suki Fleet (sukifleet) | 45 comments Kaje wrote: "Suki wrote: "Hello, I'd like to add my story here but I'm not sure how to add the picture and a neat link?

It's called Wild Summer and releases on 23rd October with Harmony Ink. It's a spin off t..."

Ah! I see! Thank you, Kaje :) and thank you for adding it K :)

Suki^^

message 16: by Tara (new)

Tara Spears | 85 comments Question for Suki on her new book. I'm excited for a new book from you. BUT how is it YA when the characters, according to the blurb, are nineteen and twenty-one? Just curious if most of this story happens when they are younger???

message 17: by Suki (last edited Oct 08, 2014 01:59AM) (new)

Suki Fleet (sukifleet) | 45 comments Hi Tara,
Part of the story is told when Christopher and Summer are 15 and 17, and the other part when they are 19 and 21. Although I wrote this story as a YA, I did query this with Harmony Ink when I initially submitted as I wasn't sure if I could classify it as YA with them (just because of the ages). And I'm happy they took it on :)

But this is a very interesting question about classification of YA--and there is probably a more appropriate thread I'm sure :P Personally I think 19 and 21 year olds are still young adults. I know publishers like Harmony Ink specify 14-18 for main MC's but I wonder if that is just a blanket publishing rule? How do you classify stories differently if they follow a young MC beyond their 18 years? Adult romance publishers would not be interested in MC's younger than 18 and the 'New Adult' classification is for MC's older than 18.
Thanks for this question, Tara :) It's food for thought!

Suki^^

message 18: by Kim (new)

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim (lokilady) | 389 comments Martyr , by A.R. Kahler

F.Y.I., the book's page on Goodreads doesn't indicate that it's part of a series, but the author previously released a novella called Jarrett , which is the name of Martyr's main character's boyfriend and the cover of which says it's "The Prequel to Martyr."

message 20: by Kira (new)

Kira Hawke (kira_hawke) Stay With Me by Kira Hawke
Stay With Me was just released today; a free short story about about a boy who is attacked and left for dead. New adult, contemporary, drama. You can get your copy on Smashwords. Hope you all enjoy it!

message 21: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Released 30th October by Harmony Ink Press

Guardians by A.M. Burns Guardians by A.M. Burns (2nd in The Woodman Chronicles series)

Thom Woodman is a bigfoot, although he prefers to be called an Oh Mah. When it comes time for the Oh Mah biannual gathering, he’s excited to go with Ben Steele, the human he bonded with.

To Thom’s surprise, he is offered a place among the Guardians, the leaders of the Oh Mah. But since he grew up half in the human world, he can’t make a decision before he finds out more about these Guardians.

When an Oh Mah is killed by a human, the growing antihuman sentiment runs rampant through the gathering. Thom’s family swears to help protect Ben, but when some of the Guardians join the anti-human faction, they aren’t sure they can live up to their promise. Even when Ben is kidnapped, Thom doesn’t know what to say when the Guardians demand his answer. Thom feels like he’s not only being forced to choose between the Oh Mah and the human world, but also between a life with or without Ben

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Cyr (cyriouswriter) | 1 comments Released Oct. 27 by Curiosity Quills

Zhukov's Dogs by Amanda Cyr Zhukov's Dogs by Amanda Cyr

A good dog doesn’t ask questions, especially when The Council holds their leash. Lieutenant Colonel Nik Zhukov never disappoints—never questions the orders given to him—even as each mission further reveals how corrupt his handlers are. For the sake of national security, the desensitized prodigy pretends he’s just like any other seventeen-year-old living in the year 2076. At least until it comes time to pull the trigger.

On the verge of promotion, Nik is dispatched to the underground city beneath the icy Seattle tundra. What should’ve been a simple bit of recon is complicated by the underground’s dark secrets. He soon finds himself treated as an equal and swept into battles alongside the misfit revolutionaries he was sent to spy on. Their gray-eyed leader isn’t fooled by his ruse, though, and as Nik worms his way into their lives, he unknowingly breaks the number one rule within his ranks. He allows himself to feel normal. It’s a mistake he pays for dearly when he learns The Council’s true intentions for Seattle.

message 23: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Frankel | 105 comments Coming on Halloween, the second in the Lindsay/Jo trilogy. Here's the blurb from the novel:

"In this sequel to Lindsay Versus the Marauders, Lindsay Fleming returns to her humdrum life on Earth, still reeling from falling in love with Jo, a young woman who hails from the distant planet of Carinna.

Lindsay's life does not stay idle for too long, as Jo returns bearing bad tidings. It seems a madman has loosed a plague on her universe causing its inhabitants to age rapidly. Conventional science has failed, but there are compelling tales of the magical healing properties of the Tree of Ayeni.

Skeptical of this tree's powers, but willing to fight for her love, Lindsay sets off to save Jo's planet. Things are never as they seem, and as time starts to run out, everything becomes a matter of trust. Lindsay has to put her faith in two strangers, one of which is a rival for her girlfriend's affection. Can she save both this planet and her deep affection for Jo?"

http://www.regalcrest.biz/large_cover...

Hope you'll all check it out!

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim (lokilady) | 389 comments I just ran across this one, Forgive Me If I've Told You This Before , by Karelia Stetz-Waters.

message 25: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16659 comments Published October 21st 2014 by Arsenal Pulp Press

When Everything Feels Like the Movies When Everything Feels Like the Movies by Raziel Reid by Raziel Reid

School is just like a film set: there's The Crew, who make things happen, The Extras who fill the empty desks, and The Movie Stars, whom everyone wants tagged in their Facebook photos. But Jude doesn't fit in. He's not part of The Crew because he isn't about to do anything unless it's court-appointed; he's not an Extra because nothing about him is anonymous; and he's not a Movie Star because even though everyone know his name like an A-lister, he isn't invited to the cool parties. As the director calls action, Jude is the flamer that lights the set on fire.

Before everything turns to ashes from the resulting inferno, Jude drags his best friend Angela off the casting couch and into enough melodrama to incite the paparazzi, all while trying to fend off the haters and win the heart of his favourite co-star Luke Morris. It's a total train wreck!

But train wrecks always make the front page.