Play Book Tag discussion

How to Stop Time
This topic is about How to Stop Time
June 2018: Magical Realism > How to Stop Time - Matt Haig - 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (last edited Jun 13, 2018 05:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susie | 4488 comments Tom Hazard ages one year to the typical fifteen human years. He eventually learns that he must change his identity every eight years, as people realise he is not aging at a normal rate and he and his loved ones are put at risk. This was a such a pleasant surprise! I think I had put it on my ereader after Kate mentioned how much she liked it, and that it fit this month's tag. We were away on a mini holiday, and it was there, so I decided to give it a go and I loved it! I've not read anything by Matt Haig before but I will be now. I enjoyed his writing style immensely, and I found the story to be clever and thought provoking. It was what I was hoping Harry August would be and wasn't for me. I loved how he incorporated historical events and figures from the past, such as Shakespeare and F Scott Fitzgerald, without that being the major theme. Spanning over centuries and alternating between the present and the past, it's a story about love gained and love lost, about letting our fears overshadow our enjoyment of life, and about the inevitablility of change. Not quite in league with my five star books, I felt as though it was worth more than four, so I settled on 4.5.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Susie wrote: "Tom Hazard ages one year to the typical fifteen human years. He eventually learns that he must change his identity every eight years, as people realise he is not aging at a normal rate and he and h..."

Yay! I am glad you liked this one, though I have to admit that it is not one that I would have pegged as you enjoying quite so much. It is a nice insight to a different side of your book tastes.

I also thought it was just a nice, pleasant story, with some twists and turns and a satisfying ending.

Great choice for the month!

KateNZ | 2671 comments So pleased you liked it!

message 4: by Ladyslott (new) - added it

Ladyslott | 1880 comments On the never ending TBR

message 5: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Waiting (not so) patiently for the audiobook via overdrive...

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments Aaand it’s on the Library waitlist..