#Read26Indy discussion

August Reads?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 62 comments What are you reading in August?

I am starting with Wonder by R. J. Palacio, A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby, and Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments I'm not half way through YEAH, YEAH, YEAH and THE LAST POLICEMAN, #1. In August, I'd like to include RIGHT TURN AT MACHU PICCHU, CALIFORNIA, THE ANGLE OF YAW and a short story collection, maybe something by Junot Diaz or Alice Munro. Or maybe LONG HIDDEN. I will probably add a professional book during the second half of the month. I'm reading HAUNTED BASEBALL too but it has been a slog.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments Ben H. Winters' THE LAST POLICEMAN makes 85.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments My 86th is Bob Stanley's YEAH, YEAH, YEAH: THE STORY OF POP MUSIC FROM BILL HALEY TO BEYONCÉ.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments COUNTDOWN CITY by Ben H. Winters makes 87.

message 6: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 62 comments I am about to try Orange is the New Black

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 20 comments In the YA classics section of my local library, I found The Robe by Lloyd Douglas with an introduction by Andrew Greeley.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments Number 88 is WORLD OF TROUBLE by Ben H. Winters.

message 9: by TM (new)

TM Lankford (tmlankford) | 31 comments I knocked out my 21st book. It's a re-read, but I am a huge fan of Lois Lowry's The Giver.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments I finished my 89th and 90th BOOKS, TIPPOO SULTAN'S INCREDIBLE WHITE-MAN-EATING TOY MACHINE and LOOKING FOR JACK KEROUAC.

message 11: by Charles (new)

Charles Cooper | 23 comments 25. John Green: The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments My 91st book was TURN RIGHT AT MACHU PICCHU by Mark Adams.

message 13: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Cox (geoffdigital) | 2 comments I am so unworthy to be in this group. 80+ finished books this year? I have only completed one and a graphic novel that goes with it. Where do you guys find the time???

message 14: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 62 comments I am actually not sure where I find the time to read . . .

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments Geoff, I spend too much time reading. I've been alone almost all of my life. It's always been difficult for me to earn a meaningful place in the lives of other people, particularly the women I care about (I know others can read this). Reading is something I have always enjoyed and it's something I can do by my self. I also like to write poetry, listen to music, attend concerts and plays, watch movies and spend time with and care for my aging dog. When she passes, I think I might take up walking. But reading has been a part of my life since before I started school. And, now, in a sense, Geoff, I cheat because I read for too many hours during long weekends, holidays and vacations. If I had a significant other, I'd spend time with her and read much less. Enjoy the things you fill your time with, whatever they might be.

As far as this group goes, I figure all of us have private goals and that 26 is a target, like a high school team scoring 100 points in a basketball game. I've never kept track of how many books I read in a year so this has been interesting. I don't think I've varied my reading habits too much and I'm shooting for 140. If I weren't working I'd aim for 150. Or maybe I'd cut back to 100. I'm glad you're reading. I'd encourage you to read what you want to read when you feel like reading. Ultimately, each reader in this group has his/her personal challenge and I think the group has been supportive of its members. Speaking of which, the most important questions are what did you read and what did you think of it?

By the way, if you want to read graphic novels, that's still reading to me. I look for a wide variety of categories for my reading material and graphic novels fall into my interest area. I grew up reading comic books as part of the reading experience. I haven't read any graphic novels this year but I own read MAUS, MAUS II and THE WATCHMAN. Maybe some time before the year is up, I'll put them on the "next up" pile.

Whatever you do, read for your pleasure. Numbers are just numbers. Reading is an option life has given us. Enjoy it whenever you can.

message 16: by TM (new)

TM Lankford (tmlankford) | 31 comments Michael wrote: "Geoff, I spend too much time reading. I've been alone almost all of my life. It's always been difficult for me to earn a meaningful place in the lives of other people, particularly the women I care..."

Michael, I think you answered many group members' question regarding how you are able to read so much. For one, I applaud you. I am definitely happy with my personal goal and my progress toward it. You have a wonderful attitude toward other readers and reading in general. Thank you for sharing.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments Cindi, what do you think of The 100-Year Old Man? Would you recommend it to others

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments Timothy, you're welcome.

message 20: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (bkwordnerd) | 3 comments I'm in the middle of books #70-72 for the year. I find the time to read in a couple ways. First, I read during my lunch hour at work. I realize not everybody gets a lunch hour, but that's a time that works for me. Second, I don't have cable and even though I have Netflix, watch TV pretty sparingly. I think it's about finding the books you want to read as well. When I hit one that's mediocre, my reading speed slows way down.

message 21: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 62 comments Yup, Bethany, that describes me to a tee!

I am finishing the month with Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, Back Of Beyond by C.J. Box, and Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer.

message 22: by Jane (new)

Jane | 10 comments I love your book list!!I am going to read the 100 year old Man....sounds really great, Loved Wild....Have you read SHOPGIRL? funny, The God of Animals...good.
Enjoyed your list.

message 23: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Warren | 21 comments Looks like my last post was in June... I'm still reading!

#18 was Paradise Road by Jay Atkinson - the writer tries to journey down Kerouac's road. This book was only interesting when he related it back to Kerouac, et al - other than that I thought he was pretty arrogant.

#19 was Kyle Minor's collection of short stories, Praying Drunk. Good, but not as good as his debut collection, In the Devil's Territory.

#20 is Confederacy of Dunces - bought on a whim because I couldn't find any fiction of interest and was getting weary of reading non-fiction. I need an escape. Pretty far out there... can't help but wondering how much of it is John Kennedy Toole's autobiography.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments I have read Confederacy of Dunces several times and have always come away with many good laughs. It is admittedly weird.

message 25: by Jane (new)

Jane | 10 comments #24 Dud Avocado, a recommended summer read. Was a good book about a young traveler in Paris.
#25 Ripper, recommended by NPR. Author interviewed and the book was a mystery about a serial killer in
San Francisco. A group of young people solve the mystery. Great read for August.

message 26: by Janet (new)

Janet Fry Who has read Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert? I had an ebook library loan that expired while a third of the way through. Now I'm on the waiting list and I'm eager to finish it. I'm intrigued how this writer can write in a voice of two centuries ago.

message 27: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Warren | 21 comments Michael, I agree with you on Confederacy of Dunces.... wonder why it was never optioned - seems like the perfect indie film.

#21 was 70 Things First-time Home Buyers Need to Know by Jim Kimmons

#22 The Ballad of the Sad Café and other stories by Carson McCullers