YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Author's Corner > Writers Corner

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) | 1942 comments Mod
Here is a thread for Authors or aspiring writers to share information and progress on your writing.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan I can start! I’ve had a project ongoing for years but I am having trouble finishing it. It’s a coming-of-age novel about three seniors in high school (told from the POV of just one though). The MC is questioning her sexuality when a very cute new girl moves to town, and suddenly her best friends start fighting because one of them has become incredibly snobby as sort of a defence mechanism to handle all the pressure she’s under from her parents to get into a good college, which eventually would push her over the edge. The MC’s younger sister is also going through stuff...
But despite my love of contemporary YA and having read tons of it, I can’t seem to fill pages! What do main characters even DO until drama happens?

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Megan wrote: "I can start! I’ve had a project ongoing for years but I am having trouble finishing it. It’s a coming-of-age novel about three seniors in high school (told from the POV of just one though). The MC ..."

Sounds great so far. You sound like your off to a great start. I feel like every time a writer needs to fill a void, they throw in a lot of descriptive stuff like their thoughts on situations or what they are seeing at the moment.

message 4: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2328 comments Mod
Megan wrote: "I can start! I’ve had a project ongoing for years but I am having trouble finishing it. It’s a coming-of-age novel about three seniors in high school (told from the POV of just one though). The MC ..."

One piece of advice I've read and has stuck with me for whatever reason is, you ask yourself what the worst thing that could possibly happen to your character right now is, and you go from there! I don't know how helpful that will be though lol

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan That advice could actually work. My character doesn’t really have many problems atm besides her surprising crush on a girl, which isn’t really a problem so much as a point of confusion. I think you hit the nail on the head which is that I gave almost everyone else a concrete problem except my MC!!

Is anyone else doing some writing? I always love hearing other people’s story plots!!

message 6: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Ooooh! I'm so glad I could help! :D

I'm not doing any writing right now... Literally the last time I wrote was in January... of 2017! And that makes me so sad because I am in love with the story I am writing but I just can't seem to juggle so many things at once! What with family, work, blogging, reading, and just other stuff, writing this book has taken a back seat. But it's always in the back of my mind and I really want to get back to it soon! Especially since I'm almost done and pretty much need the last 3rd which is already plotted out!

I recently got the email that camp nano is just around the corner in July, and I completely disregarded because, well, no time! But now I'm having second thoughts...

Anyway, in short, my project is about Greek mythology (obviously lol. It's my love!), specifically about a girl who doesn't know she's the daughter of a god but she sees dead people so, duh she is lol. She's helping out the ghost of a classmate find his way but maybe he's not actually dead dead? And maybe their falling for one another? And also someone is trying to kill her as well. Super fun stuff. Lol.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Elliott | 1587 comments I'm in the midst of two projects at the moment, though one is kind of on the backburner because I'm having some writer's block with it. The first one I'm editing, I did the first draft in November 2016 for NaNoWriMo, it's a YA fantasy based in a world where everyone has magic based on the four elements, but some are able to use more than one element, and those who can are persecuted. The main character discovers that she can use fire (she's an air manipulator) and runs away from home joining a secret resistance group aiming to make the kingdoms safer for multiple element wielders. The second one is also a YA fantasy, but it's set in modern day Paris, the main character discovers she has telekinesis powers and falls into underground tunnels where she discovers other people who have magic like her. She and her crush then have to team up when their friends start to disappear and they keep getting shunted from country to country as the tunnels move. I have the beginning and the ending for this one, but the middle is not coming!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments I am kind of jealous because all of you sound so creative and I am horrible at creativity. I had started a book once...about sulkies and I wanted it to go off the myth that they come out of the sea and shed their skin but I got so lost with the plot that I gave up.

Keep up the good work and I would love to read some if any of you are willing!

message 9: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Jo wrote: "I'm in the midst of two projects at the moment, though one is kind of on the backburner because I'm having some writer's block with it. The first one I'm editing, I did the first draft in November ..."

Ooh yes, the middle. I always have a hard time with that too. Lol.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Gabriel wrote: "Hi everyone, I am currently 3000 words in to my first young adult romance novel and am excited to be writing it. I literally had a dream about the subject and it took me away from writing my crime ..."

oooh! This book wounds like something I would really enjoy!! It sounds like you are on the right track, hopefully someone here can help you out, I , unfortunately, am not a writer...I just like reading.

message 11: by Hunter (new)

Hunter | 2 comments Currently working on several novels across multiple genres, from contemporary to space opera. Maybe I'll be able to make progress on one of them during Camp NaNoWriMo this year.

message 12: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Is anyone else doing camp nano next month?

message 13: by Vesper (new)

Vesper Vesper (vesperdreams) | 8 comments I, too, will be doing Camp. I'm so excited! I'm gonna be treating it like November's NaNoWriMo and doing a whole 50,000 words lol

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan Jo wrote: "I'm in the midst of two projects at the moment, though one is kind of on the backburner because I'm having some writer's block with it. The first one I'm editing, I did the first draft in November ..."

God I have so much trouble with middles too! I tried to write a YA fantasy one where a girl and her brother were children of a dystopian future kingdom in north america and had to travel, with their father's aide/right hand man, to capture dark magic and journey from current-day canada all the way down to current-day mexico to get rid of it (it was a while ago, i don't remember why this plot was what it was) but I got so obsessed with writing the beginning and the end that I had no way to write the middle because it was just Generic Journey. That's always so hard to write.

message 15: by theo (new)

theo  | 3 comments Yeah, I can understand the middle problems too, sadly. I mean, I'm trying to write a YA trilogy, something with Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Romance (actually there's a LGBT- relationship developing, but it's... complicated. Very, very, veeeery complicated.) and a bit of Drama. So there is just a group of six girls (but they get more members through the series), differrent ages, who revolt against another group who wants to see entire mankind dead but they don't want to die 'cause they, first, destroy everything, and then, second, rebuild everything again under their cruel reign. So they are rebelling against them, travelling through the entire world to find more members and the one and only truth: who pulls the strings in the background. Oh, and if there is a villain with an identity they didn't expect.
But after all, I have exactly the beginning and the ending of all three parts, but the middle (aka the journey) is still under construction.

message 16: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Ciantar  | 3 comments https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GQ67TVD?... my debut novel, available 11th November 2018. It's around 200 pages so not very long and kept it very readable for Young Adults and foreigners! So check it out pls :) Pre-Order available!

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo Elliott | 1587 comments I'm having to rewrite a lot of the early chapters for my elemental fantasy, and I honestly have no idea how to go about it!

message 18: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Corr Hiiiii I’m an aspiring author, hoping to publish in late 2023 or 2024. The Book is heavy fantasy with themes of romance, horror & justice.

The story centres around a young female MC raised in an orphanage, knows nothing of heritage. Discovers innate talent for magic, realizes she wields a long destroyed/forgotten magic . Blood magic, very illegal in her world; Doesn't understand how she has this ability, only old bloodlines have blood magic and they were killed off presumably before MC's birth. Following leaving the orphanage makes a living as a mercenary who 'hunts' people down, illegal to practice blood magic as its lethal. Magic laws enforced by Eitian's Eeyate or 'White Minds' as they're known to common people who dive into people's heads, reading their memories like a book. One night following MC finishing a commission for a rich merchant, MC runs into a man about to be murdered by a local big criminal. MC uses blood magic to kill big criminal, discovers innocent man about to be killed was an Eeyate. The Man promises not to turn MC in but help find out MC's heritage and who they really are. Eeyate introduces MC to The Ranger, a dark and dangerous wanderer who shows no allegiance to any faction and only looks out for his own personal gain. They travel the continents to discover the truth before Eeyate discover one of their own’s treachery