What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Children's/Young adult Book about camp, very accomplished kid who is modest or even ashamed of his excellence at athletics

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trixie (new)

Trixie | 88 comments I remember reading a book in the mid-to-late 1980s about a kid who goes to camp. There are all kinds of activities that he either sucks at, or is just average at doing. He becomes friends with a boy who is really great at everything, but who is not conceited about it, in fact he tries to hide his athletic superiority for some reason.

I remember three quotes from the book.

#1. The average kid and the accomplished kid are lost in the woods, and the accomplished kid says he's pretty good at finding his way, and the friend says, "Oh, you're the orienteering champ too?"

#2. The camp director says that boys like sports (or camp, or something) as much as "cats like meat."

#3. The accomplished kid says something to the camp director about how he was trying to live up to the camp's reputation "I was just trying to be a Fairsly boy," or something like that. I don't remember the camp's exact name but I think it's Fairslee or Fairsly or something very close to that. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

My daughter has gone to sleepaway camp for the first time this year, and I think she'd enjoy this book when she returns!

message 2: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments Unfortunately I can't help with the one you're looking for, but when I came back from camp for the first time (between 6th and 7th grade), the librarian at the library gave me "The Wilder Summer" and I absolutely loved it. Just a suggestion. :)

message 3: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 712 comments Not sure how well this fits, but your description reminds me of I Want to Go Home!

message 4: by Trixie (last edited Aug 01, 2014 02:50PM) (new)

Trixie | 88 comments Railyn, I will look into that for future reading...I appreciate your suggestion!

Liralen, I think that might be it! The cover looks a bit familiar, and the original publishing date is right on. But the name of the camp is Algonkian? I was way off!

Not moving it to Solved just yet...but my gut feeling is that I will in the next couple of days.

And after all the times I have hummed the Beach Boys song (as much as I hate that song) of the same name...I will kick myself for not taking my subconscious' clue about this book's name. I had been thinking it contained "Champ" somewhere in the title.

message 5: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 712 comments I hope it is! If it helps, some of what I remember from this book, since the description's not great: (view spoiler)

message 6: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments There's a copy at Openlibrary that can be gotten for free. :)

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL31609...

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Mystery at Laughing Water is another "camp" book that your daughter might enjoy Liralen. It's set in the 40's? 50's? Anyway, some time around then. I remember reading it in the 60's and thinking then that it was a "historical" even then (and of course, kids ideas of "historical" are somewhat skewed, right?).

message 8: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 712 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Mystery at Laughing Water is another "camp" book that your daughter might enjoy Liralen."

Tricia, not me!

But while we're suggesting 'camp' books in that age range, may I mention Boys Start the War, the Girls Get Even? Not about sleepaway camp, but there's a very funny camping subplot.