Chicks On Lit discussion

Quilting books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments Hey peeps...I'm officially "back". :) I hope everything is going well with y'all.

I've recently discovered that I truly love quilting, so I wonder who else out there is a quilter? Do you have recommendations for books about quilts and quilting, or novels about quilts and quilting?

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli Glad you are back around Emily!! Nice to hear from you :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Emily, Jennifer Chiaverini writes novels about quilters. I have read a couple of them, rather interesting.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 202 comments Marsha McCloskey's Quick Classic Quilts Four-Patches to Feathered Stars

I'm a quilter, too, and I highly recommend this book! There are a wide variety of patterns from beginner to very advanced and Ms. McCloskey's directions and tips are very clear and helpful.

message 5: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Emily, I used to quilt but haven't in years and am thinking of taking it up again. I have gone to quilting bees which is really a lot of fun.

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Emily, I'm a quilter. As far as books about quilting, I have many. I didn't put them here on Goodreads. I am fortunate enough in our military moves, to have settled in Nebraska, which is home to the International Quilt Study Center, connected to the textile dept. at University of Nebraska, Lincoln. I am only an hour away, and was at their current exhibit two weeks ago. You might also want to check out their website. You can sign up for a monthly email that features some historic quilt. You can search their archives on the website as well. They have one of the largest collections in the country, stored in a state-of-the-art climate controlled space.

As to my collection of books, some are quilt history while others are pattern books. I have several on art quilting, but don't know exactly what you might be interested in. The Elm Quilt series, mentioned earlier is a cute set of fiction/chick-lit books. I enjoyed the ones I have read. Although there are some historic flaws. Let me know what area you are leaning towards.

message 7: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Nancy wrote: "Emily, I'm a quilter. As far as books about quilting, I have many. I didn't put them here on Goodreads. I am fortunate enough in our military moves, to have settled in Nebraska, which is home to..."

Nancy, where are you? I live here and went to the opening of the IQSC.
I do like to piece quilts but I have yet to master hand quilting or machine quilting.

I really liked a couple of fiction books by Sandra Dallas ...one is the Persian Pickle Club and the other is Alice's tulips.

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Kris, I'm just north of you in the Omaha area. IQSC is awesome isn't it?! I also prefer to piece. My work schedule prohibits much time for hand work, however, I do some pretty intricate watercolor work in the small 2" squares. I like everything, traditional all the way to contemporary. But I think my heart belongs to the modern art quilting. Quilting Arts magazine just makes me drool.

Did you know that Omaha Community Playhouse opens a production of "Quilters" this weekend? A show about women and their craft. There was a nice article about some local quilters in the World Herald last Sunday. Their quilts were to be displayed in the lobby over the course of the run.

ALSO I love Sandra Dallas's book - its a good one :^)

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammylee76) I started quilting a couple of years ago. Many of the women in my family have quilted for years. The funny thing is that I haven't actually finished a quilt for myself. I have several tops done, but none that have been quilted. All of the quilts that I have quilted, or have had quilted by someone else, were all gifts.

This past February, I attended a "getaway weekend" hosted by a local quilt store and learned paper piecing. I love it! Sometime in the future I would like to do what my aunt does and go on the Quilting Cruise! I think that sounds like fun.

I have the first book in Jennifer Chiaverini's series, but haven't read it yet.

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Pam, I have about the first five in Chiaverinni's series. For me, they were kind of predictable chick lit, but very sweet stories. My only problem with it was one of the series touched on the concept of quilts used as a code on the underground railroad. This is a very controversial subject. The premise of one of the original books on the topic - "Hidden In Plain Sight" - has been difficult to prove because it was published after the woman interviewed as the primary source of the material had died. Few historians have supported this theory. I don't have my copies anymore, but I believe that they did mention in the end of the book that the idea is much debated. That being said, it is a cute series and really more about relationships between the women characters.

Good basic website for quilt history fact vs. fiction is: http://www.womenfolk.com/historyofqui...
They also have a link to their "bookstore" which I believe is connected to Amazon.

International Quilt Stidy Center is:
http://www.quiltstudy.org/

message 11: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments I admire all you quilters. I am pretty good at knitting and counted cross stitch, and I wanted to try quilting, because I had dreams of taking all my old tee shirts (with slogans and band logos etc) and making a memory blanket from them, so I took a class a while back. I was okay up until the mitered corners, but I couldn't do those to save my life.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I'm a halfway quilter. I can do the piece but then fall through on the quilting it together end. My mom usually gives in and does that part for me.
I grew up with quilters. My mom, aunts and grans all did them. I can remember making Barbie quilts when I was around 11 years old. I finished hers of course. :P

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Marsha, aren't the t-shirt quilts a great momento?! I did them with all the band and choir t-shirts my son and daughter collected through high school. Shelby you are lucky to have your Mom to do your quilting. I take mine to two different long-arm people. The wait is months and in the case of the custom person over a year.

I uploaded two pictures in my photos of my lastest endeavor, a costume I pieced for a local production of Joseph's Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Four of the bottom panels are watercolor style with embroidered appliques and the middle of the back is a version of bargello (really a needlepoint technique) quilting. It may look intricate, but you put the little two inch squares on a grided interfacing and then sew all the seams.

message 14: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Aug 21, 2009 09:51AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Emily, most of the Jennifer Chiaverini books are wonderful! My faves of the series are:
*The Quilter's Apprentice
Round Robin
The Cross-Country Quilters
*The Sugar Camp Quilt An Elm Creek Quilts Novel
Circle of Quilters An Elm Creek Quilts Novel
The Master Quilter
*The Christmas Quilt An Elm Creek Quilts Novel

I always wanted to learn to quilt and then I read these books and became overwhelmed! I had no idea it was so involved!

My Aunt also reads a quilting mystery series by Terri Thayer.

There's Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album) by Emilie Richards (there are 3 followups to that one) and A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick, (one followup at least to that as well) both are on my to-read list.

Welcome back Emily! You've been missed!

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments Cool! I checked out the first three books in the Chiaverini series today (together in a big book). Of course, I also checked out four other books. Funny to see me with my baby in the front carrier carrying this big stack of books and videos around the library...

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Aw Emily just tell 'em you teach your babes to read at a very young age and he/she is just a prodigy!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Emily wrote: "Cool! I checked out the first three books in the Chiaverini series today (together in a big book). Of course, I also checked out four other books. Funny to see me with my baby in the front carri..."

I have that 3 in 1! I love the cover!

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammylee76) Marsha wrote: "...I was okay up until the mitered corners...

I fake my way around the corners. lol. I have never even tried to do mitered corners. I keep thinking about it but haven't gotten up the courage - but then again all the quilts I've done aren't for me and I figured I would do what I know instead of trying something new and screwing it all up.

I made a sweatshirt quilt for one of my friends. She gave me a bunch of her sweatshirts from college. So I pieced them together with flannel. It was so heavy when it was finished. But turned out really cool.

Also about the Jennifer Chiaverini series - even though I haven't read any of them, I did find a couple of quilt books at a couple of the stores around here with the "patterns" of some of the quilts from the series. I love them and really want to do the wedding sampler.

message 19: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Pam wrote: I was okay up until the mitered corners... I fake my way around the corners. lol..." Pam and Marsha, there's no such thing as faked anything in quilting - its your way and if it works, who cares! I'm NOT a purist in any way, shape or form. Quilters that are that picky scare me! The sweatshirts would be REALLY cozy. I have always wanted to do a double wedding ring and have the fabric for a small one. But I'm studying up on all the shortcut options first! Pieced or applique, that is the question.

message 20: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments The woman who taught the course I took had won awards for her quilts, so maybe she was aiming higher for us newbies than necessary. I should look for a really basic book and try that tee shirt quilt.

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Emily wrote: "Hey peeps...I'm officially "back". :) I hope everything is going well with y'all.

I've recently discovered that I truly love quilting, so I wonder who else out there is a quilter? Do you have..."

I am, I am, I am. I love it so much I work at a quilt store two days a week!!!!!!!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kathryn!! Lucky, lucky girl getting to work in a quilt store :,

message 23: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Shelby wrote: "Kathryn!! Lucky, lucky girl getting to work in a quilt store :,"

A wonderful book that has a quilting theme through it is Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas. I enjoyed that book so much I e-mailed the author and told her how much I loved it.

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments I've always tied my quilts, but I'm interested in learning to machine quilt. A local quilt store here (sooooooo jealous of you, Kathryn) sometimes offers a class for like $75 and then charges $15 an hour to use their long arm machine. Is it worth it?

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I'm curous with the tying? How do you do that? Is it easier?
I do mine by hand but like I said mom quilts them for me. I need to start doing them but I'm too lazy.

message 26: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Emily wrote: "I've always tied my quilts, but I'm interested in learning to machine quilt. A local quilt store here (sooooooo jealous of you, Kathryn) sometimes offers a class for like $75 and then charges $15 ..."

It's definitely worth it. The shop I work in offers the class for $60 and then you take L x W/122 x .99 for the cost of quilting it yourself on the longarm. Tied quilts are much more old fashioned looking. You can also do the quilting on your own sewing machine. Hand quilting is simply gorgeous and is much more time consuming.

message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments Yeah, one of my husband's patients gave us a beautiful hand-quilted quilt for my little Jane's birth. It's hanging above our mantle even though she told my husband to use it rather than decorate with it. Maybe the thing that really made me love quilting was making one for my baby and then the quilts that we got as gifts - four!

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Kathryn wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Kathryn!! Lucky, lucky girl getting to work in a quilt store :,"

A wonderful book that has a quilting theme through it is Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas. I enjoyed that book s..."

Kathryn, I just finished that book and also loved it!!

message 29: by AngieA (new)

AngieA (angelwings55) I do patchwork and it's a tradition in our family to have a quilt on the frame to be tied during a bridal shower. It's so much fun. Two books I got recently but haven't done anything out of yet: "Fabulous Fat Quarter Bags" by Susan Briscoe shows how to make totes, bags and coin purses. Also: "Layer Cake, Jelly Roll and Charm Quilts" by Pam & Nicky Lintott. These were new techniques to me and I thought I'd give them a go.

message 30: by Pam (last edited Aug 24, 2009 12:30PM) (new)

Pam (pammylee76) Emily wrote: "I've always tied my quilts...

I have tied 2 quilts. I like it, but I LOVE the feel of a quilt that has been machine or hand quilted. It's the texture and all the "bubbles" that are there.

I have been working on quilts for my bridesmaid's gifts. They are all the same pattern, but each one is in the favorite colors of the girl. I love how they have all turned out!

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments The quilt I am working on now is for my sister-in-law, who was recently married. I used her wedding colors. With the new baby, I told her it probably wouldn't be done until Christmas! The quilt top is done, so I just have the batting and backing and quilting to do. I'm going to try to get it machine quilted.

message 32: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Pam, what an awesome idea for a bridesmaids' gift. I am impressed! I would be so stressed about my own arrangements, I wouldn't have the sanity for quilting! Emily you will love having that machine quilted. The quilt gains another layer of 'expression' and the patterns used can totally change the way the top looks. The design can make certain parts 'pop' that didn't before. It is hard to fit in the time, especially with a new baby. A little retreat! Quilting is such a stress release for me although it just doesn't happen much during the school year.

message 33: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (countrygarden) | 95 comments I enjoy quilting on a very small scale. I design needlework patterns so I usually finish my designs as a patchwork quilt hanging, pillow, runner or something like that. It is fun with all the cute fabrics out now. I thought there was a quilting mystery series, but I'm not sure. Need to find that out.

message 34: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammylee76) Cathie -- are you thinking of the Terri Thayer books? I think a couple are Old Maid's Puzzle A Quilting Mystery and Wild Goose Chase A Quilting Mystery. I haven't read any of her books, but have one or two on my TBR pile.

message 35: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments Here's a quilting novel for you -- The Persian Pickle Club. I haven't read it, but there's a quilting circle in it.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Pam wrote: "Cathie -- are you thinking of the Terri Thayer books? I think a couple are Old Maid's Puzzle A Quilting Mystery and [book:Wild Goose Chase A Quilting Mystery|1033..."

My Aunt loves those books!

message 37: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments I've heard of those... going to have to look them up :^)

message 38: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brenlouhen) My mom is a serious quilter. She likes Egg Money Quilts 1930's Vintage Samplers and anything else by Eleanor Burns

message 39: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 415 comments Nancy, Earlier posting (8-20) you mentioned the Omaha playhouse was going to do the production of "Quilters". Earlier this year, the Opera House at Red Cloud did that production. Our quilting guild did the quilt blocks for the play. (I really liked the play.) We each had to make 2 identical blocks(one for the actress to hold up, one for the final quilt). After the play, we were able one to keep one quilt block, the other one was used in making quilts to donate to kids.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That's sounds like such a wonderful thing to be a part of Debbie!

message 41: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments Debbie - Hey fellow Nebraskan!! Most of the quilts the Omaha guild made are to be auctioned off for the playhouse's benefit. I like your idea much better! OQG does have a "Quilts For A Cause" branch that does do lots of good work. I have yet to see the show - hopefully the last weekend.

This article was in the newspaper:
http://www.omaha.com/article/20090816...

message 42: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Nancy are you thinking about seeing the show? I have family coming here sunday to shop but I wonder if I could persuade them to meet in Omaha instead and then go to the show. hmmmm???

message 43: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1274 comments KrisT - I am thinking of going the final weekend - it has been extended into the first weekend in Oct. This weekend I am going up home to Minneapolis for a family wedding... I would be thrilled to meet you that Oct. weekend if you want to go??

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* You ladies are killing me! I want to go!!!! :)

message 45: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments Okay, I'm now through the first six of the Chiaverini books, and they have me as hooked on quilting as the fabric stores I frequent and the beautiful hand-made quilt hanging above our mantle! I now have collected lots of free patterns from the internet, scrounged up my mom's quilt books, have a long list of quilt shops and fabric sites bookmarked, and am working on some quilting projects! Thank you all for the advice! I am so glad I opened this thread!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I want to go too!

I'm glad we've further enabled your quilting addiction Emily! LOL!

message 47: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 415 comments Jo wrote: "That's sounds like such a wonderful thing to be a part of Debbie!"

It really was. I sat there waiting for "my" quilt block to be held up and was kind of excited when it was shown. For you gals who haven't seen the play ... SPOILER ALERT AHEAD ...

When the play ended and they dropped the curtain which was this HUGE quilt - it just was so awesome. It made tears come to my eyes, just knowing I had a part in it!

message 48: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 415 comments Nancy wrote: "Debbie - Hey fellow Nebraskan!! Most of the quilts the Omaha guild made are to be auctioned off for the playhouse's benefit. I like your idea much better! OQG does have a "Quilts For A Cause" bra..."

Thanks for the link to the Omaha paper!
KrisT and Nancy, I haven't been to the IQSC yet - and I don't live that far away now - I'll need to make that trip!

message 49: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments I would love to learn how to quilt. I am just NOT patient!!

message 50: by Denise (new)

Denise Cathie wrote: "I enjoy quilting on a very small scale. I design needlework patterns so I usually finish my designs as a patchwork quilt hanging, pillow, runner or something like that. It is fun with all the cut...I thought there was a quilting mystery series, but I'm not sure. Need to find that out."

Earlene Fowler writes a mystery series with Bennie Harper as the protagonist. Bennie is a quilter and folk art expert. Each book title is a quilt pattern. It starts with Fool's Puzzle. There are 13 books in the series and number fourteen State Fair is due out in May (2010).

I have read all of this series and I really like it (even though I'm not a quilter). When I was looking this up to make sure I had the correct number of books I found that Fowler has also put out a book titled Benni Harper's Quilt Album: A Scrapbook of Quilt Projects, Photos and Never-Before-Told Stories. I have not seen this book but it sounds like it would be good for a quilter.