Play Book Tag discussion

June 2018: Magical Realism > A Discovery of Witches - I had strong feelings- 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (foxon) | 36 comments First off I am not sure how is made goodreads magical realism list EXCEPT for the fact that it starts to deal with the biological science behind the creatures? And that makes it more 'real'? Anyway. I was pumped for this book and was disappointed. Such a great title and premise to be wasted with a second act that does not live up to the first. I rarely leave lengthy reviews but this book got my blood going. I will do a small recap of it here.

Pros: Great protagonist (at first), magical book everyone wants accidentally tied to her, vampire lad.

Cons: Everything that happens after that. Creatures doing yoga for some reason? The characters all begin to suck. The original MacGuffin is quickly forgotten and replaced with a rapid succession of other plot devices. Also I wish this author would have done away with her 'romantic' scenes because they were so cringy! I read some reviews with people complaining about the main characters not actually having sex but I was glad, those two have no chemistry.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I love everything about this review! While I thought this book was okay, the second book is really what made my blood boil. Do NOT continue on in the trilogy.

And I TOTALLY AGREE about the cringeworthy sex scenes. I read a lot of romance books. Some sex scenes are well done, some have made me literally laugh out loud. But this is one of the few that made me physically cringe. So. Horrible.

message 3: by annapi (last edited Jun 12, 2018 07:52PM) (new)

annapi | 5153 comments LOL I agree! I think I liked book 1 more than you did (I actually gave it 3.5 rounded down), but Nicole is right - book 2 SUCKED. I don't even remember the sex scenes but that's probably just as well! I did not read book 3, it was amazing that I managed to finish book 2; I kept hoping it would go somewhere reasonable, but I was disappointed.

And yes, this is fantasy, not magical realism IMO.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (foxon) | 36 comments Yeah it will have to be a very rainy day indeed for me to spend money on another one of these books. I love a good romance subplot but this was just bad! The one where they are by the car and he is saying I love you, and she grabs his butt and he moans, god Im embarrassed just typing that out.

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments 😂 I am embarrassed too. For everyone involved with this series.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments *furiously removes from book shelf*

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (foxon) | 36 comments Susie wrote: "*furiously removes from book shelf*"

Im sorry, but it was for the best.

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Lol!

message 9: by Cynda (last edited Jun 12, 2018 09:42PM) (new)

Cynda  (cynda) ¡Estupidio! Stupid Love. Stupid Sex. Cringing.

message 10: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments This definitely isn’t magical realism. I think some people take the term literally.

I actually liked this series.... I listened to the audio so I must have blocked out the sex scenes. I thought the yoga scene was hilarious. Different strokes for different folks!!

message 11: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments The first one hit the spot for me (it helped that it was partly set in Oxford) though it certainly had its stupid bits. But the series takes a massive plunge for the worse in book 2. Book 3 is firmly off my radar.

message 12: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Susie, I cannot believe you even had this on your TBR in the first place!

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m not sure how that happened!

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9322 comments I’m seriously shocked too, Susie. Another wise removal. I actually read all three, even though I cringed my way through the first. There is a lot to hate about this series - starting with the whiny Diana. How I hate a woman who doesn’t own her power! And the love scenes were more like stalking and Stockholm Syndrome. And the length of useless drivel. All three books together could have been done in 352 pages. And sacrificed nothing. That would have wasted less of my time.

message 15: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Kate, we agree about book 2! What the hell happened in that book?!? Oh that’s right, absolutely nothing happened. Literally no action. Except awkward sex action. Lol.

message 16: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments Too right, Nicole. Absolutely nothing!

And Amy, I am so with you about Diana’s whining - te.di.ous... Matthew was the even bigger disappointment though. He had some promise in book 1, then it all evaporated.

I did like Diana’s family house though. Best character in the series

message 17: by Joanne (last edited Jun 13, 2018 10:33AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8405 comments Well, I had this on to my TBR list-I am thinking I won't waste my time reading it after reading all the comments here!

message 18: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3097 comments I confess. I read all three. There were always enough appealing moments (like the house in the first book) to keep me going. Also some of the really bad writing was sooo bad that it made me laugh out loud. However, by the third book, I was more than a bit angry with the author. I felt she was exploiting serious issues to make her marginal plot/characters appear heroic. Didn’t work for me.

message 19: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Goodreads should make a function to tag books as "DO NOT READ" without having to actually put them on your shelves, haha!!

message 20: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Joi wrote: "Goodreads should make a function to tag books as "DO NOT READ" without having to actually put them on your shelves, haha!!"

What amuses me is that GR sends you the email about “when you finish .....” without account for what you rated it.

message 21: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments I tried this one. I’m not sure I got past page 10. Life’s too short for doorstoppers that are best used for, well, doorstoppers.