Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Movies/TV Shows/ Podcasts > The Staircase

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3435 comments Mod
A documentary series about Michael Peterson. Looks like it was filmed as events were unfolding. Watching it in Netflix. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388644/

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 376 comments That was a great series. I watched it years ago.

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14109 comments Bel, if you can find a TC doco Erin hasn't already seen I'll be really impressed. I haven't watched TV, except when house-sitting, since like 2001. But Erin is totally on top of this.

message 4: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (savannahjan) | 62 comments Erin, there are more/new episodes. :)

message 5: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14109 comments Yeah, this story seems to keep coming back for extra innings.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "A documentary series about Michael Peterson. Looks like it was filmed as events were unfolding. Watching it in Netflix. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388644/"

It’s excellent. I’ve been staying up far too late watching it.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 376 comments I just added it to my watch list. I almost watched the new episodes but I decided to hold off on that and rewatch the old episodes when I get a chance. When I watched the original show I thought Michael was innocent.

message 8: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Jun 27, 2018 06:23AM) (new)

Erin wrote: "I just added it to my watch list. I almost watched the new episodes but I decided to hold off on that and rewatch the old episodes when I get a chance. When I watched the original show I thought Mi..."

I thought the show was definitely leaning that way. I feel I should read a book about it, I read an article that said a lot was left out of the show.

Written in Blood

message 9: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14109 comments Stephen King once said -- and he's right -- that visual media inherently fictionalize a story. It's all about keeping the story moving and a great deal gets cut out in the interest of making sure all the camera angles are compelling and none of the information slows the story down.

message 10: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments I've been watching this show on Netflix. I've thought since the first playing of the recording of the fakey 911 call that he is guilty. Plus, much of the stuff the defense is putting forward is ridiculous. Have you ever tripped while running up the stairs? I have, many times (I'm a bit of a klutz). You know what happens? You fall forward and hit your shins and hands. You don't fall backwards. Your weight and momentum is driving you forward. Plus, it takes a LOT of force to split your scalp open and/or fracture your skull, especially in more than one place. Going 'bop-bop-bop' down the stairs isn't going to do it, especially wooden stairs.

But do I think that lightweight, hollow 'blow poke' was the weapon? No. It doesn't have enough mass to do that kind of damage to a person's skull. Physics. They haven't found the weapon, in my opinion.

It's well done, but kind of boring in some places. I feel sorry for the family who keep on having to digest more and more that they didn't know about their family member.

message 11: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 614 comments K. A.,
I agree with you on many of your points, especially the ones involving physics. I, too thought the 911 call was fake. And the things the defense team were saying to each other were, as you say, ridiculous. I felt they were each trying to make the others feel that that they believed in his innocence when none of them actually did. The ironic/awful aspect of the documentary is that it was made to feed Peterson's narcissism, but he dragged the family along with him.

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 376 comments The first season of NBC's Trial & Error is a comical take on the Michael Peterson case
(Also Michael Peterson has watched the show, which I find a little weird)

message 13: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14109 comments Peterson wants to see how he plays on prime time!

What is a "blow poke"?

message 14: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Fishface wrote: "Peterson wants to see how he plays on prime time!

What is a "blow poke"?"

According to Amazon, it is a fireplace tool that you use to blow on the fire.

message 15: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments Yeah, it's a hollow tube about three feet long so you don't have to stick your face in the fire. But it looks like it's made of lightweight metal, maybe aluminum, like a curtain rod.

I was thinking that the only blow poke was Petersen, though.

message 16: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 614 comments I feel like a plow poke is a tool that you can blow through to fan a fire, but also a poker, and therefore would be fairly heavy. The wounds on Peterson's wife's head, though her skull was not broken, apparently, went through her scalp, which is pretty thick. So, inflicted by a somewhat heavy weapon.

message 17: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments The blowpoke they show in the film, though, is obviously not heavy - in fact, someone describes it as 'like a curtain rod'. The one I found online - linked below - is described as steel, and, like you say, has prongs at the end for fire manipulation. However - it's also only 1.5 pounds, which isn't very heavy.

This is why I have a problem with the blowpoke-as-weapon theory: I don't think it has enough mass to cause those injuries. A can of beans, with 1.5 pounds concentrated in a small area, might - but 1.5 pounds stretched out over three feet is, I think, problematic.

Not that it matters much - it's like the glove. They got hung up on that, when it was a minor piece of evidence.

https://www.amazon.com/Firedragon-Blo...

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 178 comments I’ve heard about that story and I saw that story on on the ID channel