Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Removes: A Novel by Tatjana Solis - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4611 comments The Removes: A Novel by Tatjana Soli - 4 stars

Historical fiction that separately tells the stories of two women: George Armstrong Custer’s wife, Libbie, a real person, and Anne Cummins, a fictional character taken captive by the Cheyenne at age 15. Libbie’s story is based around her husband’s military career, as he rises through ranks, finds the limelight, and tackles various assignments. Anne’s story follows her assimilation into a new culture, as she migrates with and is traded to different tribes. As the story unfolds, we come to understand that Anne and Libbie have more in common than outward appearances would indicate.

The power in this novel is bringing to life a past time and place through the characters. I felt the characters were well-drawn, giving the reader insight into their motivations and feelings. The historical people are brought to life and felt nuanced and authentic. I enjoyed the author’s writing style. She vividly depicts the scenery, deprivations, and challenges of life in the 1860’s – 1870’s on the frontier, at military outposts, and in the tribal camps. By employing two related storylines, the author provides insight into almost all facets of life during the period. It was a brutal time in history and is depicted as such. Content warnings include graphic violence to people and animals, rape, starvation, mutilation, racism, and sexism. Recommended to readers that enjoy historical fiction of the period, or stories of life on the American frontier.

I received an advance reader’s copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for a candid review. Publication date: June 12, 2018

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6856 comments This sounds like it might be up my alley. Thanks for the excellent review.

message 3: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4611 comments No problem :-) Hope you enjoy it!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Removes (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tatjana Soli (other topics)