Play Book Tag discussion

James and the Giant Peach
This topic is about James and the Giant Peach
June 2018: Magical Realism > James and the Giant Peach ~ 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joni | 625 comments I really enjoyed James and the Giant Peach. It was a very fun read. I picked out a lot of magic and a lot of realism in the book.

James is a young boy in England who lost both his parents and now live with his mean aunts, who only care about themselves and make James do all the hard work and hardly feed him. He is very unhappy. He has no friends and isn't allowed to play with the other kids in the village. ~ Realism ~ I see or hear of this type of lifestyle a lot each day....especially seen in the news.

The magic comes in when James is presented with special "bugs" that he has to swallow. James drops the bugs at the base of an old peach tree. From this a peach grows to larger than life and is the new home to James and his insect friends. These bugs become his new family.

The insects stories include fun facts about each insect ~ more realism.

Once again Dahl put out a wonderful entertaining story.

Cynda  (cynda) I love this novel 💟
I am glad you reminded me of this novel Joni. I will have to keep an eye out for a used copy in very good condition for my niece. She is 10 years old. She will love it too!

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I have fond memories of this book with my son. We also watched the cartoon together. Dahl is a wonderful writer.