What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Malkin's Mountain
This topic is about Malkin's Mountain
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's Fantasy. Evil toy maker makes army of wooden toy soldiers to steal a mountain from rival good toy maker. The good toy maker's kids go on a quest to rescue him. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magloghan (new)

Magloghan | 2 comments Hi all. I'm nearly sure the book was called "Malcolm's Mountain" or some such but Google can't find it. The story was about an evil toy maker (Malcolm?) who made an army of Nut Cracker type wooden soldiers to kidnap the good toy maker (Peter?). The toy makers were already rivals who lived on the opposite side of a mountain and had competed against each other to see who made the best dolls. The evil toy maker tries to force the good toy maker to make a golden key to unlock the heart of the mountain so the mountain would move closer to the evil toy maker's town/kingdom and the evil toy maker would be able to harvest all the pine wood he needed to make more toys. The good toy maker's kids go on a quest to rescue their dad. (Spoilers ahead, I think!) The kids are captured but while in captivity they get talking to some kind of princess doll. The princess doll was very vain and doesn't like taking orders from the evil toy maker, I think she may have been the evil toy makers master piece from one of the toy making contests. Eventually she takes pity on the kids and rebels against the evil toy maker, The wooden soldiers are in love with the princess and side with her, the evil toy maker is defeated and the mountain starts to move back to it's original position.
I read this book in the early 2000s but the copy I had looked fairly old already.

message 2: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1276 comments Malkin's Mountain by Ursula Moray Williams? You were close :-)

message 3: by Magloghan (new)

Magloghan | 2 comments You're a legend Mai, thanks a million.