Victoria Holt, Jean Plaidy, Philippa Carr; Eleanor Burford, Elbur Ford, Kathleen Kellow, Anne Percival, and Ellalice Tate. discussion

DOE 3: The Witch from the Sea > Chapter 1: Trade Winds

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie Burton (marieburton2004) | 534 comments Mod
Part One: Linnet

Potential spoilers ahead...

message 2: by MaryKate (new)

MaryKate (marykate711) | 202 comments Exciting! I'm about 15% in to this now from The Lion Triumphant kindle copy (I had to abandon it to read Mr. Mercedes...I do NOT regret it :)).

message 3: by Marie (new)

I read like 5 pages maybe :) I love how it glides right into the story

message 4: by Marie (new)

I love how she tried to explain the crazy family dynamics attempting to introduce newbies to the story. But I am also intrigued at the way she is able to go with the character changes; being told in first person with each book she is good at not repeating the predecessor's tone.

message 5: by Marie (new)

Which edition were you buying? Mine is the Fawcett Crest pb.
The Witch from the Sea (Daughters of England, #3) by Philippa Carr

message 6: by Marie (new)

Fennimore sounds like a perfect gentleman! I liked him immediately .. (Which means the odds are not in his favor for Linnet!)
I found it interesting that Cat's Spaniard son had not been mentioned at all.
Wafted- page 12 was a new or forgotten word for me ;)

One could easily breeze through reading these novels but if you stopped and slowed down a bit you see how much detail & the care she chooses her words with.

message 7: by Marie (new)

"..I knew I should remember Colum Casvellyn with a kind of fascinated horror for a long time to come."

message 8: by Marie (new)

And we have to wonder about the picture on the wall at trystan priory! I bet there's a big story behind that person!

message 9: by MaryKate (new)

MaryKate (marykate711) | 202 comments Sorry--I'm here! The edition I'm using is the Fontana paperback version--pub. 1977.

I agree with you, Marie, about the way Carr chooses her words. There's so much more in her sentences if you take the time to find it! And I also really like Fennimore. I enjoy seeing Damask and Cat in Linnet too--I really enjoy multi-generational novels, so this DOE series is on point for me!

message 10: by Marie (new)

for comparison's sake, my paperback edition starts chapter 2 on page 41. Where does yours start it?

message 11: by Marie (new)

(& I finished this chapter)
;)

message 12: by MaryKate (new)

MaryKate (marykate711) | 202 comments Let's see...mine starts on page 43. We're not too far off! I was plowing through this and now I'm slowing down a bit because I'm getting a bit busy. I really like this one so far though! Same comparison between the loving, compassionate man and the overbearing, can't-control-myself-I-am-Tarzan man that these Carr heroines can't seem to leave alone :)

message 13: by Marie (new)

I concur, there is a definite formula that Carr uses. I also slowed down but maybe will get some more in tonight. Colum is a total jerk & I'm not going to be happy to see them together.

message 14: by MaryKate (new)

MaryKate (marykate711) | 202 comments I know, I agree. I'm not entirely happy that Jake and Catherine got together, honestly, but at LEAST he seems to have some semblance of humanity. He may be cocky, but I do think he's a good person deep down. Not so sure about Colum...

Victoria Holt, Jean Plaidy, Philippa Carr;...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Witch from the Sea (other topics)