NYS Writers Institute book club discussion

Notes > What's your Twitter handle?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, A slow reader (new)

Michael | 7 comments Mod
If you're a Twitter user, post a reply below with your name/Twitter handle and we'll connect with your Twitter account and give you a shout-out. Thanks!

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen (irisira) | 1 comments @joteepe

message 3: by Leena (new)

Leena (leenacia) | 1 comments @leenacia

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (readersbeadvised) @ReadersBAdvised

message 5: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 1 comments @tonyafrickey

message 6: by Fran (new)

Fran Szpylczyn | 2 comments @FranSzpylczyn

message 7: by Sheila (last edited Jun 16, 2018 12:01PM) (new)

Sheila Mahan | 1 comments @SheilaMahan

message 8: by Fred (new)

Fred Bubbers | 1 comments @FredBubbers

message 9: by Laney (new)

Laney | 1 comments Michael wrote: "If you're a Twitter user, post a reply below with your name/Twitter handle and we'll connect with your Twitter account and give you a shout-out. Thanks!"

@lsalisb

message 10: by Steph (new)

Steph Snyder | 1 comments @stephnsnyder

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian | 1 comments @fessland

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim Berry | 1 comments @kimmerbeth

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Danforth | 2 comments I've chosen not to have a Twitter account and am curious to know why people, especially this group of readers, choose to use this form of social media? With all the distractions inherent in today's wired world, why opt to join yet another platform, especially one that seems arbitrarily narrow (in terms of actually communicating), impersonal (for "social" media), potentially dangerous with all the spamming and ruined careers I've read about, and trite?

Am I missing something?

message 14: by Michael, A slow reader (new)

Michael | 7 comments Mod
Hi Kim,
I use Twitter mainly as a listening device. It keeps me up to date on news and information from the people and organizations I chose to follow.
It's impossible to keep up with the constant stream of tweets, but I do find it helpful as a source of news. So much of it depends on who you follow.

message 15: by Roger (new)

Roger Green (ersie) | 3 comments ersie - there's a long story with that.
I don't embrace Twitter all that much, but I will post my blog https://www.rogerogreen.com to Twitter, which will feed to my Facebook.

message 16: by Michael, A slow reader (new)

Michael | 7 comments Mod
Twitter isn't inherently awful, but I can see how its purpose --- inform and entertain --- gets a bad rap when certain individuals who shall remain nameless use it incessantly to promote their political agenda, or stroke their egos.
Keeping Twitter as a news feed and ignoring the majority of the tweets works for me.

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Danforth | 2 comments Interesting, Michael, and thank you for your response. I'm trying to expand the variety of news outlets I read--beyond NYT, NPR, The Economist, and Brookings Brief--without adding hours to my day. I check in with Fox as a way to stay aware of how millions of Americans receive their news. I also discovered "The Week," which provides readers with multiple political viewpoints. Maybe using Twitter for this would meet this need, although I find that short bits of news usually leave me with more questions than answers.

message 18: by Michael, A slow reader (new)

Michael | 7 comments Mod
Hi Kim. Glad to hear you seek out a range of news outlets. I encourage my students to do the same. For a conservative source, check out the National Review. On Twitter at https://twitter.com/NRO They're partisan, for sure, but well-sourced and not argumentative.

message 19: by Roger (new)

Roger Green (ersie) | 3 comments I read a lot of right-wing stuff: GOPUSA, Daily Signal, Red State. When they actually dis a GOP/rump position, it must be bad..

message 20: by Michael, A slow reader (new)

Michael | 7 comments Mod
That's a fact, Roger. Same goes for the left-wing sites. Where's Walter Cronkite when we need him??? :-)

message 21: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 1 comments I think you miss a lot, Kim. Twitter is the place for breaking local news. On it people in trouble or near trouble talk to one another. It's amazing to watch breaking events via Twitter traffic -- like a big horse race, for one example or a trial. Is it perfect? No more than any conversation among many people. But there's lots of information and advice along with the ranting and raving. I'm r2croak on Twitter.

message 22: by Roger (new)

Roger Green (ersie) | 3 comments Rosemary - I just don't GET Twitter. Unless I'm looking it all the time, I don't get news on Twitter.

Or maybe I'm old-fashioned, getting news from email from Nixle (local accidents etc), the NYT, WSJ, WaPo, LA Times. I DO get news from Facebook; maybe it's the algorithm.

Or maybe Twitter is TMI - every blow by blow about which Kardashian is fighting with whomever. I don't bother reading what DJT says on Twitter because he says too much; I'll wait for the summary.

message 23: by Fran (new)

Fran Szpylczyn | 2 comments I like Twitter but it took me years to “get” it. I like conversations so I’m a big FB user. Twitter is so not that kind of place.

Roger Twitter is good (with a caution for accuracy) for breaking news. I try to use my usual sources but I’ll search on a topic. For example I was getting a lot of info about the Seattle plane hijacking as it was happening. Things like that.

Anyway it’s not for everyone!

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1 comments @chill_65

message 25: by Dawnny (new)

Dawnny (novelsnlatte) | 1 comments @NovelsLatte

message 26: by John (new)

John M. | 2 comments @boschloper

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley DelSignore | 1 comments @upstateashley :-)

message 28: by Kristen (new)

Kristen M.  (kristen_majkut) | 1 comments Late to the party, as always! @kristenmajkut

message 29: by John (new)

John M. | 2 comments My Twitter handle is @boschloper

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim | 1 comments Just saw this - I’m @shahenofarabia

message 31: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Gilmer (jagilmer) | 1 comments Mine is @dekonamon

message 32: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 2 comments I do not use Twitter only Facebook. I tried Twitter and didn't like it.

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (thegildedpage) | 1 comments @Mrs_R_English

message 34: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 2 comments Sorry I don't use Twitter.

message 35: by Val (new)

Val | 1 comments Kim wrote: "@kimmerbeth"

Agree, totally not into Twitter and / or most social media.