What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Housing  Problem
This topic is about Housing Problem
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Urban fantasy, short story or novella, published 1950-70s man inherits family luck. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (last edited Jun 12, 2018 11:10AM) (new) - added it

Sam Esmeralda | 34 comments I am hoping to find the author and title. It is not a book per se, but a short story or novella. I read it in my teens in an anthology I had gotten from a school or public library, so it could have come from any time between the '50s and '70s. It deals with people living in the modern(ish) world, fairies, good and bad luck, and respecting privacy.
SPOILER:
Man inherits everything with instructions to never look into the bird cage that stands alone in a dark room with a cover over it or he will lose his luck. He gets very lucky, but does not believe it has anything to do with the birdcage. He opens the cover and looks. There is a tiny house inside the birdcage. It is a fairy house. If you build a nice house the fairies will come to live in it, and bring you luck. Their privacy is very important to them though, so if you look they curse you and leave. His luck is all bad now. He looks again, house is empty of any signs of life. Then suddenly one day when falling flat out into mud he finds some money. He sneaks a peek and sees it is lived in again, but the new owner is a lower class fairy and the place is messy. He carefully leaves it alone, because it's better than no luck at all, and he has learned his lesson.

message 3: by Ayshe (last edited Jun 14, 2018 01:18PM) (new)

Ayshe | 4323 comments Here's isfdb.org's list of publications it's been included in: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cg...

message 4: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Esmeralda | 34 comments Thanks. That was it. I am glad I remembered enough details right for you to find it. Thanks also for the link, for other stories I wonder about. From the Kuttner/Moore home, I am surprised I never thought to look up their works as the storyline is right down their alley.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Housing Problem (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Henry Kuttner (other topics)