The Bloomsbury Group & Friends discussion

Odd & Ends > Visiting Charleston and Monk's House

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments Hello! I know I've been absent for a while (due to one reason or another). I recently got home from my trip to London and Lewes, during which I got to see Charleston for a second time and Monk's House for the first.

I wanted to say, first of all: If you get a chance to stay in Lewes, it is a really wonderful town and the people are so friendly! I stayed in a B&B called Berkeley House. It was close to just about everything, including the bus station, post office, Waterstones, a supermarket, etc.

I wasn't sure Charleston would live up to the joy I felt during my first visit--but it did! Last time, I did not take a tour, as I went on a Sunday. This time I booked a special tour that allows you to go into the kitchen and sit at the table while the guide passes around photos of the "key characters" and explains the background of the house and the Bloomsbury Group.

Our tour guide was very informative and had lots of stories to tell. Also, the pictures on the walls were different from the ones that were there last year (some may have been out on loan to galleries). The gardens were just as beautiful and the day as glorious, weather-wise.

The next day I went to Monk's House. First I had lunch at the pub up the road, which was excellent. The weather was rather hot--over 80 F, and I'm afraid I wilted rather quickly. There are only three or four rooms open to the public, as well as the gardens. The National Trust caretakers live upstairs so you can't go up there. I really loved Virginia's little writing shed (a shed of one's own!) outside in the garden. Had a little break sitting in a deck chair in the shade nearby. A terrific view of the South Downs can be seen from there, as well. Saw where Virginia and Leonard's ashes are buried.

There's a nice little gift shop and I bought some postcards there. Then, I'm afraid, I had to call a cab to take me back to Lewes. I actually got a sunburn walking around the garden. There were lots of people around, as Rodmell was hosting an "open gardens" event for five pounds. I didn't take advantage, alas.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (skauthen) | 602 comments Mod
Sandra, it sounds like you had a wonderful time, thank you for sharing your experience. I have heard the pub in Rodmell well spoken of. Were the Monks House gardens in good order? Good to hear there is a shop, now, as there wasn't one when I visited and I would have spent money if given the opportunity. I'll take it the Rodmell-Lewes bus service is still out of order. Will you be posting photos?

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments I did not think the gardens were as nice as Charleston's. But they were pleasant, I'd say.

The bus isn't out of order, but it doesn't run on Sunday, which was the only day I could get to Rodmell. Hence, the cab.

Is there a way to post photos here? Or do you mean will I upload them to flickr or somewhere? I will be doing that as soon as I wade through all of them.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

The Zoobs made the Monks House garden a paradise when I visited in 2009 (Caroline Zoob wrote a history of the garden, Virginia Woolf's Garden). But they have since moved on. I hope it hasn't declined in the hands of the new caretakers...

I don't think photos can be posted here. Have you uploaded them anywhere? I do have a flickr.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments I am on flickr too, but I haven't uploaded all my photos yet. I will let the group know when I have. (I'm being very lazy this summer...)

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Looking forward to seeing them but, by all means, laze away ^_^

message 7: by Joe (new)

Joe | 517 comments Mod
I don't think photos can be posted here.

Try here ,,, on right is link to upload photos
https://www.goodreads.com/photo/group...

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments Hey, cool! Did not know this at all!

Incentive for me to work on my resizing.

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments It says "Goodreads is over capacity." They're working on it. Amongst other things...

Here is the link to my flickr photos. The Charleston ones are from last year. Monk's House is this year. Eventually I'll add this year's Charleston pics.

There are also some of the Omega Workshop exhibition at the Tate Gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladyinb...

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Thank you for the flickr link, Sandra. Beautiful photos, thus far!

Ah, I didn't know about that tool, either. Thanks, Joe - top man!

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments Thank you, Sarah!

message 12: by Joe (new)

Joe | 517 comments Mod
Ah, I didn't know about that tool, either. Thanks, Joe - top man!"

Chest puffs out .. :)