The Bibliophiles discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month > July BOTM Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
Hello everybody!

Since summer is upon us and it is the season of travel, I thought it would be fun to make this month's theme international! This month, let's read books written by your favorite foreign author! (And yes, even though this group is based in the U.S but you live outside of the country and love a U.S. author, that counts too!) Please share your suggestions for a book by your favorite foreign author and lets see the awesome reading material we can come up with!

Thanks everyone!

message 2: by Cee (new)

Cee (simplystrange) I've been wanting to read [bookcover :Still Life|338691] Still Life written by Louise Penny who is Canadian. It sounds like a fun little mystery.

message 3: by Maïnah (new)

Maïnah | 1 comments I've heard Capitains of the Sand by Jorge Amado is a very good book (it's Brazilian)

message 4: by Sadaf (new)

Sadaf (sadafrasouli) I read “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini, Afghan writer, a few weeks ago and it was absolutely amazing. I’ve been waiting to read his other novels such as “A Thousand Splendid Suns”. Hosseini’s novels are mostly family-dramas about Afghan families and their culture. This is what I’d suggest.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather I just finished Sometimes I Lie. And it was an intense thriller, so I'm recommending something light and fun. How about The Time Travel Trailer ?

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pifher (shannonpifher) | 35 comments On the Outside Looking Indian by Rupinder Gill. She is an Indian migrant to Canada.
Hilarious book about being raised Indian and never being allowed to be a child. Now that she is turning 30 she has a quarter life crisis where she spends a year doing things she never did like her first sleepover, learning to roller skate, and going to Disney!
Rupinder is a comedian and a great author.

message 7: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wbandel) I haven't read anything by Haruki Murakami or Khaled Hosseini yet, but I've seen their names a lot on international best seller lists. I'd like the opportunity to give their books a shot.

I have Les Miserables by Victor Hugo on my want-to-read list if anyone would be interested in that as a suggestion.

message 8: by Mircea (new)

Mircea (mircea_) From my favorite author, but still on my "todo" list: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow

Currently reading, so I have quite an unfair start: The Sympathizer

Read, but enjoyed it a lot: The Egyptian -- Mika Waltari is among my favorite authors.

message 9: by Abigail (new)

Abigail I would vote for "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini, I haven't gotten around to reading that yet.

message 10: by Zofia (new)

Zofia (nebelmeer) I'd like to suggest Let the Right One In by Swedish author John Ajvide Lindqvist.

message 11: by Zofia (new)

Zofia (nebelmeer) Zofia wrote: "I'd like to suggest Let the Right One In by Swedish author John Ajvide Lindqvist."

Sorry, I see that it has already been read :') That's a shame. Can I suggest a book by Murakami if he has been mentioned in this topic?

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Zofia wrote: "Zofia wrote: "I'd like to suggest Let the Right One In by Swedish author John Ajvide Lindqvist."

Sorry, I see that it has already been read :') That's a shame. Can I ..."

You can suggest anything you would like, even if it's already been suggested or read! :)

message 13: by TraceyL (new)

TraceyL Lisa wrote: "Zofia wrote: "Zofia wrote: "I'd like to suggest Let the Right One In by Swedish author John Ajvide Lindqvist."

Sorry, I see that it has already been read :') That's a..."

I've would love this book as well. I loved both the Swedish and American movies.

message 14: by zubair (new)

zubair | 2 comments Flights by olga tokarczuk

message 15: by Mircea (new)

Mircea (mircea_) Abigail wrote: "I would vote for "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini, I haven't gotten around to reading that yet."

I read "The Kite runner" two years ago, and liked it. Since then, A Thousand Splendid Suns is on my list, but haven't got the time to read it yet.

message 16: by Jane (last edited Jun 13, 2018 10:04AM) (new)

Jane Branford | 5 comments Does Canada count? I started Insatiable Machine, by Zoe Robertson. It was a rec from a friend who won it in an early giveaway. I only had a chance to read a few pages before work swamped me, but I'm itching like crazy to get back to it. I think it's pretty new.

I don't think I have time in my schedule to dive into one I haven't already started, unfortunately. :(

message 17: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 154 comments Many great suggestions! You all are awesome!!

I have been meaning to read anything by José Saramago, particularly Blindness.

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather Ok, I missed read the theme, so my previous recommendation was a mistake.... sorry.

I'd like to suggest Nine Coaches Waiting. Years ago I read Mary Stewart's series on King Arthur/Merlin and loved them!

message 19: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Sionna wrote: "I've been wanting to read [bookcover :Still Life|338691] Still Life written by Louise Penny who is Canadian. It sounds like a fun little mystery."

it is a great mystery series- not dark and not cozy but somewhere in between and great characters.

message 20: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I've been wanting to read Exit West awhile.

In a country teetering on the brink of civil war, two young people meet—sensual, fiercely independent Nadia and gentle, restrained Saeed. They embark on a furtive love affair and are soon cloistered in a premature intimacy by the unrest roiling their city. When it explodes, turning familiar streets into a patchwork of checkpoints and bomb blasts, they begin to hear whispers about doors—doors that can whisk people far away, if perilously and for a price. As the violence escalates, Nadia and Saeed decide that they no longer have a choice. Leaving their homeland and their old lives behind, they find a door and step through.

message 21: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Duff I would love to suggest LIFEL1K3 by Jay Kristoff. I picked up an ARC at a conference in April and I'm not finished with it yet, but it's a great read so far, and really unique.

Essentially, it's a YA take on Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics - from the perspective of the robots. It follows Eve, a mechanic scrapper girl in a distant future ruled by corporation states. She salvages a boy from a crash, only to discover he's not a boy at all, but an outlawed old-model android called a Lifelike - and not only that, but they apparently have a past that she doesn't remember. It's gritty, technological, and really rich in worldbuilding and imagery.

message 22: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 154 comments Wow!! So many unfamiliar book suggestions, everyone!! I'm loving it, Lisa!!😊

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments My favourite book by far right now is called Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein. It's one of the most beautiful books I've ever read and it breaks my heart every time I read it. I recommend it to anyone who will listen to me and love it to bits! It really changes how you see the world and incorporates poetry perfectly. It's gritty, rich, and mesmerising.

message 24: by Krista (new)

Krista Adams (kadamswriter) | 2 comments Abii wrote: "I'd like to suggest The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. I'm not sure how many people here have already read it. But, I'm quite behind on his work and would lik..."
I'd be up for that.

message 25: by Krista (new)

Krista Adams (kadamswriter) | 2 comments Dustin wrote: "Many great suggestions! You all are awesome!!

I have been meaning to read anything by José Saramago, particularly Blindness."

Blindness was amazing. Read it years ago and it has stuck with me. Amazing.

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Me too Dustin! I'm loving all the variety being added to the group with all the newcomers! :)

message 27: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 154 comments Krista wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Many great suggestions! You all are awesome!!

I have been meaning to read anything by José Saramago, particularly Blindness."
Blindness was amazing...."

I cannot wait to finally read it! Thank you!

message 28: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 154 comments Lisa wrote: "Me too Dustin! I'm loving all the variety being added to the group with all the newcomers! :)"

It's truly wonderful! Welcome, everyone!!😊

message 29: by Phrodrick (new)

Phrodrick Count me as a fan of Haruki Murakami.
I have read at least 6 of his books including Wind up Bird. I would be willing to sit in on that discussion.
My sense is that he is widely read in GR, at least among those on who one way or anther intersect with me.

message 30: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 58 comments I will probably be reading (or listening to) The Lake House by Kate Morton.

message 31: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Kirkland (malloryscalerie) | 3 comments The House of Spirits By Isabel Allende

message 32: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 7 comments The Complete Persepolis

I read this book when I was dating my now ex-boyfriend that was half-Iranian.

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Hey everyone! I will be getting the poll up this evening and it will run until the last day of the month! Now I've just got to choose from all of these amazing books you've suggested!

message 34: by Raghav (new)

Raghav (logophile1618) | 31 comments Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari maybe? It's quite a spectacular pne

message 35: by Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (last edited Jun 30, 2018 12:06PM) (new)

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) Is it to late to add a suggestion for July?

You

message 36: by francois (new)

francois How about The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton? Heard it’s great.

message 37: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Pachinko by Ming Jin Lee is a wonderful book fair fusing on Koreans once Japan invade them during WWll.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.