YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Genres > YA - Sci-Fi

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2328 comments Mod
Have you read a YA Sci-Fi book that you love? Looking for recommendations of Sci-Fi novels? Use this thread for all your YA Sci-Fi talk.

message 2: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) | 1951 comments Mod
Here's some sci-fi novels I've read and loved. I highly recommend them.

Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1) by Scott Reintgen This is a high-action novel set on a space-ship where the characters are setting out for a new planet that is inhabitable just like Earth. I dubbed this as fresh and unique but with a hint of Divergent... but in space. I loved it.

The Next Together (The Next Together, #1) by Lauren James This one looks like a lovely romantic contemporary novel and although it is lovely and romantic I dub it as sci-fi as it's about soulmates being reincarnated to find each other. The second one in the series is more sci-fi but I don't wanna spoil anything. Seriously read this it's phenomenal.

Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Anyone who knows me knows JLA is my fave author ever and Lux is about a super hot and cocky alien next-door neighbour.

Gravity (The Taking, #1) by Melissa West Aliens are invading and trying to take over Earth. They are the bad guys... until the main character falls in love with one.

message 3: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

I've had Obsidian on my tbr list FOREVER! Iv'e heard nothing but good things about, and I even got the ebook when it was free one time! I'm gonna read it... eventually lol

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Oh Lili! You have to read Obsidian!!

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan So since I was the one who requested this thread I thought I should throw in my favourite series! And request others... I haven't actually read very much YA sci fi now that I think about it but I love the genre.

Across the Universe I was literally OBSESSED with this book. I think I picked it out because of the pretty cover (and the redhead named Amy... redheads should always be named Amy). The story drew me right in and the day the final book came out I downloaded it to my kindle and stayed up until 3 AM finishing it despite being in high school with a HEAVY course load. No regrets. It's set on a spaceship of colonists heading to a new planet... but things on the spaceship have changed a lot by the time one of the colonists is accidentally awoken

These Broken Stars I'm currently in the middle of this series, but the first book absolutely took my breath away. I never would have thought a crash landing on an alien planet could make me so... haunted. This book has really stuck with me in a way no other book has. And to think part of the reason I picked it was Hurr Durr pretty cover art!

Tin Star holy shoot dang I love this series!! Tula as a character is so realistic- I actually started this book twice and stopped, thinking being abandoned on a spaceship with nothing was too depressing, but eventually I kept reading and I am so glad I did. Mainly in this one it's the main character who keeps me reading- she's so unlike any other MC I've read in YA. Currently halfway through the second book.

These are the only series I have read but they are some of my favourite books of all TIME, not even just sci-fi. I can't stress how highly I recommend each one of them! (They're on my my-loves shelf for a reason)

message 6: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Lili, you HAVE to read Obsidian. Especially considering the spin-off series is due out in October. I am soooooo excited.

Megan, great recommendations. I didn't like These Broken Stars but will check out the others.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments I really liked these Broken Stars but have yet to read Across The Universe. I have the whole series and really plan on getting to them sometime but every time I try...the first chapter about kills me and I am left a sobbing mess. I have no idea why but it just pulls at my heart strings!!!

message 8: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Wait, spinoff?? Man, I am really behind 😅 lol

message 9: by heather - NightlyReading (last edited Jun 13, 2018 08:11AM) (new)

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Liliana wrote: "Wait, spinoff?? Man, I am really behind 😅 lol"

YASSSSS!!! A spin off with Luc!! CANNOT WAIT!! OR CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT!!!!!!

message 10: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I am in the JLA ARC group so I can't wait for The Darkest Star ARCs to go out.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "I am in the JLA ARC group so I can't wait for The Darkest Star ARCs to go out."

WHAT???? How did you manage that one???? ***JEALOUS****

message 12: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I have been for years LOL. Jen runs her own group with hand picked bloggers to receive eARCs of all of her books. She opens it up for people to apply each year. I shall let you know when she opens it up for applications again.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments YES!! Please!!!! And thank you!!!

message 14: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

I don't read a lot of sci-fi, I just realized as I went through my books. These are the ones I rated 5 stars. I know I love them, but I read them so long ago, I don't remember the specifics lol

Avalon (Avalon, #1) by Mindee Arnett Alienated (Alienated, #1) by Melissa Landers Invasion (C.H.A.O.S., #1) by Jon S. Lewis Doomed by Tracy Deebs

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan Damn I have so many new books to add to my tbr list! Not that it needs anymore lol

message 16: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) I loved Nyxia! I read an e-arc of it and now I have Nyxia Unleashed I plan to get too really soon hopefully. I loved the diverse characters and the action!

I have Obsidian on my kindle and still haven't read it...sounds very much up my alley and I need to get to it!

Across the Universe is the first thing I read after Harry Potter to get me back into reading as an adult and I loved it so much! I want to give it a re-read at some point. I couldn't stop reading until I had finished all 3 books!

I also loved Illuminae but I read it nearly 2 years ago and still haven't continued on with it. Now that the entire trilogy is done I plan on re-reading it and binging the trilogy at some point.

The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman Aliens...I really enjoyed it. yes all i'm saying is aliens lol it has been awhile since I read it.

Aaru by David Meredith Rose is dying. She is 16. She is in a lot of pain and has made peace with her fate but her younger sister Koren has not. A mysterious man approaches them and tells them about Aaru where Rose's radiant mind can be uploaded to a virtual paradise, so she'd never have to die and could live pain free.

Elysian Industries is set to begin offering the service to those who can afford it and hires Koren to be their spokes-model. It's not a utopian like you'd think. I really related so strongly to Rose, with her thoughts of being disabled (i'm disabled) and being stuck in pain and in the hospital. Feelings I know all too well and had never seen represented anywhere before. I loved Rose and Koren and all that this book tackled <3

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers a diverse group of aliens (and a human) go through space on a mission. Very character-driven and loved the characters!

Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray I also want to re-read this now that the sequel is out so I can read the sequel.

The Abyss Surrounds Us and it's sequel (duology) The Edge of the Abyss by Emily Skurtskie. Lesbian pirates fighting sea monsters. Slow-burn romance. Lesbian...pirates...and...genetically engineered sea monsters. Absolute favorite!

Sorry i've been going through the topics and reccing so many books! Well I suppose I shouldn't be sorry, that's Goodreads is for, but yeah. Mentioning them all makes me realize how many YA books i've read!

message 17: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Ooh nice recommendations. I have Defy the Stars on my shelf and I still haven't read it.

I'm so jealous you have Nyxia Unleashed. It's not released here in the UK until the end of this month.

message 18: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "Ooh nice recommendations. I have Defy the Stars on my shelf and I still haven't read it.

I'm so jealous you have Nyxia Unleashed. It's not released here in the UK until the end of this month."

Same here but I got an e-arc from Netgalley. Well it releases July 17th here in the US (I thought it was later)....I'm behind on Netgalley books at the moment :( I'm not usually behind, but I am now...so I need to get on it real soon!

message 19: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Anyone read any good YA Sci-fi books lately? Let me know your thoughts.

I haven't really read any sci-fi books lately but I adore them so can't wait to read more.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 26 comments Not really a Sci Fi series but more fantasy, Here There Be Dragons. Seven book series and it's amazing! One of the few series that I could read over and over again.