What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > New warmly-dressed student comes from ancient arctic civilization seeking magic hair (YA/children's story?). Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dylan (last edited Jun 11, 2018 08:06PM) (new)

Dylan | 3 comments Helping a friend find this book.

My friend says: I read this book maybe around 1998-2000. It was a short little paperback book. I remember a new student arrives in school, very strangely dressed in clothes that were too warm for the weather. The characters were young, so I'd guess their school was elementary or middle school, not any older. It turns out that the new student is actually from an ancient ?arctic civilization which has been in trouble because some necessary energy source it has has been depleted. It turns out that [SPOILER] ----

some people have special hair which, when burned, can provide that energy. I guess the protagonist has that kind of hair, and the new student asks for it on behalf of this civilization. I remember being frustrated with the protagonist who dithers about whether to give up their hair instead of making the obvious choice to give it up and save a civilization!

Some of the plot details may be incorrect---I read it a long time ago. I think I remember it containing a line like "The cold can kill". Thanks very much for your help!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36528 comments Mod
Dylan, does your friend remember the cover image?

How did the new student get to the school?

Would you call this science fiction or fantasy?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40603 comments Mod
Dylan, are you still looking for this or did you find it?