Goodreads Ireland discussion

Previous Quarterly Films > August-October Movie: Into the West

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the Discussion thread for August-October quarterly movie of 2014, Into the West, directed by Mike Newell.

I look forward to discussing this movie with you all and reading your thoughts and views.

Declan.

message 2: by Serf (new)

Serf I love this film, looking forward to watching it again :)

message 3: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (livbet) | 511 comments Me too. Lovely little film. Nothing deep but I daresay we can discuss the wider issues too.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
I'll probably watch it this week sometime. Netflix Instant has it.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Sara, I tried to get it on Netflix and came back very long wait. When you said Netflix Instant do you mean streaming? I tired to get it on Amazon Video but they didn't have it.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott R. Larson (scottla) | 28 comments My wife, daughter and I watched this last night, and I have to say that I enjoyed it even more than the first two times I saw it. I love the way it transitions from the gritty naturalistic scenes in Ballymun to the magic of the idyllic countrysides and the Atlantic coast. The story is a bit Disney all right on the surface, but it gets at something pretty profound, about not losing touch with where we are from and who we really are.

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
I do mean streaming Susan.

message 8: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Scott wrote: "My wife, daughter and I watched this last night, and I have to say that I enjoyed it even more than the first two times I saw it. I love the way it transitions from the gritty naturalistic scenes i..."

I'm looking forward to seeing this again.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I don't have streaming but I may add it for a month just to see the movie.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Ha Ha.

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) @Susan You should be able to get a months free trial.

Oddly Irish Netflix don't appear to have it, so I'm off to find a less legal version.

message 12: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Oceana (coryan) Have to admit I got teary-eyed in places -- always hard to see children growing up in poverty anywhere, and motherless children growing up cold and hungry with an alcoholic (or nearly so) father is a sad story indeed.

But I agree with Scott -- the transitions from the worn-out Dublin neighborhood to the western wilds was a brilliant stroke, and changed the whole tone of the story.

I loved how the white horse symbolized so much about the travelers' lives as well as the old ways in Ireland, and how the presence of that time was still alive in the children's imaginations and spirits.

Lovely performances and some nice writing -- though I'm left asking (as often happens with films from the UK and Ireland) -- why so few women characters? I counted two, in all, with a few extras in the background. Very imbalanced on that score, but otherwise, a really lovely film!

message 13: by Edmund (new)

Edmund (royco) | 7 comments Parts of this were shot in my hometown of Portarlington. Seems like a long time ago now but an exciting time wondering around a live shoot. Great little film.

message 14: by Scott (new)

Scott R. Larson (scottla) | 28 comments Edmund wrote: "Parts of this were shot in my hometown of Portarlington. Seems like a long time ago now but an exciting time wondering around a live shoot. Great little film."

IMDb doesn't have a lot of info on filming locations. A lot of the country scenes seem to be Wicklow, and the cliff scene is Cliffs of Moher, right? Roundstone is mentioned as a location. Is that the town where the Savoy was? Or was that Portarlington or somewhere else?

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul Roundstone is a little peninsula in the Gaeltacht area of Galway. There's nothing there really. I spent the best part of a summer in Rosmuc which is just up the road from there.
I'd assume a few of the beach scenes were there as its a fairly open and clean beach

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul I assume that's the Spielberg TV series.

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul ok not come across it either

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I noticed that too, Jamie. It looked like a not very good Western.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments My friends and I watched this tonight thanks to Sara's tip of streamlining it. It was so good. We really wanted to adopt those two little boys. They were so cute and talented. The scenery was gorgeous and the story delightful. It seems like there was a lot of prejudice against the travelers but the movie was 20 years old so hopefully that is not the case anymore. The mother died because she was turned away at the hospital. Brendan Gleason was excellent but I didn't think much of Gabriel Byrne's acting. I just don't think he really fit the role. All in all, I really liked this and my friends think I'm cool for finding unusual movies. Oh, and it had David Kelley in it. I've been fond of him since I saw his naked butt in Ned Devine.

message 20: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (livbet) | 511 comments I loved the movie. My only real criticism is that I felt Ellen Barkin's role was superfluous. It felt a bit self-indulgent, as though she'd been put in just because she was Gabriel Byrne's wife, not because the character served any purpose whatsoever.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott R. Larson (scottla) | 28 comments Barkin's character was clearly meant to be a potential love interest for Byrne's and thus signal by the end that he was finally able to move on. I agree with Isabella that the part was underwritten and in the end did not add much to the story and wound up feeling mainly like a nod to Hollywood convention.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I agree. It could have been a nice role but was not really developed. I had no idea she was Byrnes wife and was wondering what she was doing there. Thanks for clearing that up.

message 23: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments interesting to see this won will have to track my copy down it's here somewhere

message 24: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I watched this, this evening as it's been a few years since I've seen it. (Brief aside I find it weird that it's available on the American Netflix but not the Irish one).

It's an enjoyable movie with the typical who's who of Irish acting from the early 90s. I though David Kelly was excellent but when isn't he.

On a more serious note, considering it's a kids film, it's interesting how it does try to tackle the issue of the institutionalised discrimation levelled at travellers.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I was in primary school when I saw it. Maybe I'll watch it tomorrow and reacquaint myself with it.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Emma, it was available on Netflix only for streaming. The disc itself was not available. You are so right that David Kelly was great. What a wonderful actor although I liked his Ned Devine role more. I am going to show this to my 4 year old grandson next time I go to visit. My son called me last night. Kyle had found a can of silver paint and sprayed himself to look like the Tin Man in Wizard of Oz. As a grandparent, I thought it was funny, as a parent he did not. Of course he had to get it off right away. When you paint your skin, the pores can not breathe.

message 27: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Susan I hope your son took a picture first so he can look back and laugh when he's not trying to figure out how the hell to get it off.

message 28: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Wow Susan, your grandson has some imagination :-) It may take a whil

message 29: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn *while for your son to appreciate that.

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) @Susan I only stream from Netflix but the films available for streaming vary from country to country. The Irish selection is quite poor compared to the American one. Unfortunately you can't watch the American Netflixs from Ireland unless you hide your IP address and trick it into thinking your in America, which is what I ended up doing.

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Oh trust me, Jeremiah did plenty of things while he was growing up that I now remind him of when Kyle acts up. My children were a constant amazement to me about the mischief three boys can get into. I was such a book worm that I wasn't as adventurous as they were. Nicholas, the middle one, was about 10 when he tried to skateboard on his stomach and rolled over his own hand and breaking it.

message 32: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Oh god. Boys get into everything. Mine is only two but you have to watch him like a hawk.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments They have Kyle who is 4 and Raelyn 20 months. They keep them on their toes. Raelyn has bright red hair. Did you read the article that red hair is supposed to disappear shortly? Somehow I don't think so. Anyway, I had 4 and the oldest was 6 when the youngest was born. They deserve whatever they get. :)

message 34: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Red hair is a recessive gene. In order for someone to have red hair they have to have 2 red hair genes. Both blonde and brown, which tend to be the most common hair colours amount populations where red hair is found, block it out. That's why they say red hair may become extinct. The funny thing is brown is actually a mutation of red, yet it's an extremely dominant gene.

message 35: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments I watched the movie last night. Speaking of redheads, I'd love to have Ellen Barkin's hair in that movie :) It was gorgeous. I agree with the comments above about her role in the plot. It did seem superfluous, and if her character was supposed to be a potential love interest for Papa, to show that he was finally recovering from his grief, there was only one scene (the campfire/tent scene) when that was even suggested.

I really enjoyed the movie. The young boys were so believable in their roles.
I'd really like to have known more about Gabriel Byrne's character; they kept referring to him as the King of the Tinkers, but was that real or some sort of mockery? And it seemed like he had some sort of "horse whispering" skills, too.

Does a white horse figure in Irish folktales and fairytales?

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) The story the grandfather tells the children about Oisin and the Land of Tir Na nOg features a white horse ridden by the princess Niamh who takes Oisin to Tir Na nOg.

message 37: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Emma wrote: "The story the grandfather tells the children about Oisin and the Land of Tir Na nOg features a white horse ridden by the princess Niamh who takes Oisin to Tir Na nOg."

Thanks, Emma.

message 38: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Dunn (httpwwwjsdunnbookscom) | 335 comments Emma wrote: "@Susan I only stream from Netflix but the films available for streaming vary from country to country. The Irish selection is quite poor compared to the American one. Unfortunately you can't watch t..."

hah! An oirish solution to an oirish problem!

This is a one-hanky film, possibly a 2-hanky. Lovely insertion of the Oisin / Tir na nOg tale.

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments That's a great review. It was a one hanky for me.

message 40: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments I watched this last night. It reminded me of The Commitments where they took the horse up in the lift. Now that I think about it, one of the actors was the horn player in The Commitments as well. So many good Irish actors in one film! I was wondering why Ellen Barkin was in this until I read that she was Gabriel Byrne's wife so that explained it. The kids were amazing. I was a bit surprised that I enjoyed it so much. A nice plus.

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I liked it too. :)