PEACE discussion

Psalms of Peace

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 107 comments Mod
The Lord just told me to post Psalms 103:6, so I am obeying. So, I just looked that up:
"The LORD secures justice and the rights of all the opressed."

message 2: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessarichardson) | 37 comments I love the book of (praise) Psalms. Sharon, I am going to study this. But, from reading this passage, this is what I gather.

SECURE IS DEFINED AS: safe; protected; strong; stable; confident.

He has our blessing already stored up for us. No one can take it away from us. He is guardian and protector of us. Are blessings are guarded better than Fort Knoxx. When the wind blows and the storms of life, seems 10 feet high, thus the oppression.

1. Rejection
2. Redicule
3. Talked About
4. Misunderstood
5. Wanting to close down ministries
6. Unemployment
7. Depression
8. Oppression (and there is a difference)

Rights are entitlements (not) to perform certain actions or be in certain states, or entitlements that others (not) perform certain actions or be in certain ...

Somethings you don't have to fight for. We don't have to fight for. It belongs to us. It is our right to be happy, healthy, and prosperous. He is the best security there is, ADT has nothing on Him.

Sharon, I love the name of your group. How did you come to select it?

Vanessa

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Fabulous reply to the Psalm Vanessa!

Well, Vanessa! Of course I got the name of the Group by asking God! Silly girl! -
and He told me "Why not call the Group PEACE in honor of ..." the rest of the message is something so personally touching and beautiful to myself and to His Bride Corporatly the Church that it made my heart cry - it is very high and prophetic - not the time to fully explain that now -
He said: PEACE.
I just obey.
:) Sharon

message 4: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessarichardson) | 37 comments I understand and I thank you for your obedience. Peace and blessings.

Vanessa

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments I'm learning so much ladies.
Justice does not have to be seen on this earth. Ultimately God is the final judge, and His will be done. We all want better lives and conditions for everyone, it is in our nature to care about others and want fareness and justice. However, the oppressed can also find their purpose despite their condition...

20 Each one should remain in the situation which he was in when God called him. 21 Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you—although if you can gain your freedom, do so. 22 For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave. 1 Corinthians 7:20-22

Sorry for switching books. : ) It makes you think..
Peace to all who seek it.

message 6: by Sharon (last edited Aug 16, 2009 11:24AM) (new)

Blessed be the LORD. God shows us how to have PEACE.

Psalm 17:3 = "Though You probe my heart and examine me at night, though You test me, you will find nothing; I have resolved that my mouth will not sin."

David's claim was an understanding of a relationship with God. Our relationship with God is one of close fellowship based on continual seeking after God, and understanding our relationship with God.

message 7: by Sharon (new)

We Praise You God for Your Goodness!

Psalm: 111:3 = "Majesty and glory are His work,
And His justice endures forever."

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments Psalm 104
1 Praise the LORD, O my soul.
O LORD my God, you are very great;
you are clothed with splendor and majesty.

2 He wraps himself in light as with a garment;
he stretches out the heavens like a tent

3 and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters.
He makes the clouds his chariot
and rides on the wings of the wind.

4 He makes winds his messengers,
flames of fire his servants.

How beautiful the poetry of the Bible.

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Psalm 11:4=
"The LORD is in His holy Temple;
the LORD is on his heavenly throne.

When foundations are shaking and you wish you could hide, remember God is still in control. His power is not diminished by any turn of events. Nothing happens without His knowledge and permission. When you feel like running away -- run to God. He will restore justice and goodness in the earth in His good time.

message 10: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessarichardson) | 37 comments Psalms 34:6 "This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles."

No matter what your going through or have gone through. God can/will save (deliver, help, heal) you. Our rescure may not be the way we think it should/would happen.

Our ways and thoughts are not His. As we listen in the quiet after the storms of life. We see the He has delivered us again. From All things.

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Psalm 91: 11 =
"For He will command His angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways."

message 12: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments Psalm 147 : 5
Great is our Lord and mighty in power;
his understanding has no limit.

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Psalm 16:1
"Keep me safe, O God,
For in You I take refuge."

The joy and benefit of a life lived in companionship with God .. Oh Lord, thank You that we enjoy the benefit now and in eternity!

Bless me Father. Bless the ministry You give to me.
Be with me coming and going. Put the words in my mouth Holy Spirit. The words from You, God. I love You Christ the One. I am in the presence of Your ministering Angels, holy Father thank You. Amen.

message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments Psalm 16:8
I have set the LORD always before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.

The Lord is with you Sharon, through him you have everything you need. I will pray for you to have what you need, to be fearless, to be joyful and to see wonderful results from your work in Jesus.
I love you Sister. May God continue to bless you, and bless us with your friendship.

message 15: by Sharon (new)

True Happiness:

Psalm 1:2 "Happy the man who delights in the law of the LORD and meditates on his law day and night."

You and I know, as followers of Christ as our Saviour, that there are Ways He has taught us to be in Peace, and to be healthy. You and I can meditate on these day and night for true happiness.

message 16: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments Psalm 36: 5-9

Your steadfast love, O LORD, extends to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the mountains of God;
your judgments are like the great deep;
man and beast you save, O LORD.

How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
They feast on the abundance of your house,
and you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the fountain of life;
in your light do we see light.

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Psalm 111

I praise you LORD with all my heart. I will remain in the council of the upright and in the assembly of men who love You.
Great are Your works O LORD, they are pondered by all who delight in them.
You have caused Your Wonders to be remembered;
LORD You are gracious and compassionate.
Glorious and Majestic are Your deeds,
and Your Righteousness will endure forever.

I praise You LORD. I thank You Lord.
Amen

message 18: by Sharon (last edited Sep 15, 2009 09:46AM) (new)

Psalm 78: 4 =
"We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, His power, and the wonders He has done."
"We will not hide from their sons; we will declare to the generation to come The glorious deeds of the LORD and His strength and the wonders that He wrought."

message 19: by Sharon (last edited Sep 15, 2009 02:16PM) (new)

Psalm 119:4 =

You, O God, perscribed the right way to live;
now You expect us to live it.

You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed.

message 20: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments When I was in 5th grade, I was attending church and in a bible study study class for my age group. The teacher said - pick out a passage and memorize it. ANY passage. So I did one of those - blindly open the book and point things. This is what I memorized - my teacher was pretty astonished that I had found it like that. I did not know this verse until I memorized it for that bible study class.
I'm glad God was working in my young life.

Psalm 23
1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

message 21: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessarichardson) | 37 comments Diana, I was asked to read a scripture Sunday. The theme was tapping into our trust fund. I was lead to read Psalms 23.

People think it is so basic, it is powerful. And has bought me through some difficult times in my life.

I once did a bible study on the Psalms 23. It was awesome!

100:1 A Psalm of praise. Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all ye lands.

message 22: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessarichardson) | 37 comments Diana, I was asked to read a scripture Sunday. The theme was tapping into our trust fund. I was lead to read Psalms 23.

People think it is so basic, it is powerful. And has bought me through some difficult times in my life.

I once did a bible study on the Psalms 23. It was awesome!

100:1 A Psalm of praise. Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all ye lands.

message 23: by Sharon (new)

the story of how you arrived at Psalm 23 is lovely - God does take care of us - wow

message 24: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments Me too Vanessa. I am so glad that I memorized it - it has surely been a comfort to me. Each time I go over it in my mind, I learn something new about my relationship with the Lord and His promise to us.

It is Powerful! What did you find the most interesting thing you learned from it Vanessa?
Or anyone else who would like to share.

Yes, God is so good Sharon. What can you tell us about this Psalm?

message 25: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessarichardson) | 37 comments Diana, our bible study started out with each of us reading a passage. Then we'd explain it. Wow, the things shared with me was dynomite. I hadn't seen it as such. It was years ago.

But what stuck out to me in Psalms 23 was verse 4 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

The Rod and The staff signifies Gods power! They are both a support to us. It supports the hand and arm, and through them the whole body Moses, in that he was commanded to take a staff (or rod), with which he was to do miracles; and that he took the rod of God in his hand (Exod. 4:17, 20)

I had to know and recognize God's power in the valley (test and trials) that was why I was able to walk through it and not run. Instincts, hurts, rejections, and disappointment wanted me to run.

Along my walk I often got tired. Have you? I needed support. Did you? I think there are times in our lives were we all need some support in our walk.

God asked Moses whats in your hand. Power. God has given us power. Don't let the valley make you forget this.

Yes, I love Psalms 23!

What stuck out the most with Diana?

message 26: by Diana (new)

Diana Jenkins | 47 comments That is very POWERFUL indeed. I didn't think about the rod as in Moses' rod, I was thinking of a staff like a shepard uses. And seeing the staff would comfort me knowing he is there to protect me (as part of his flock). Interesting.

I understand what you mean about the instinct to run, and I tell myself this over and over when I feel the need to Bolt! "Trust in the Lord and do good."
"Trust in the Lord and do good." "Trust in the Lord and do good."

It always seems to help me.
Yes, Vanessa - so tired at times, that I know He carried me.
Thank you God for carrying us when we are tired. Amen.

I have had my share of lifes troubles. I have always found that when it gets to be too much. I can place it all (visually) in a big white bag - tie it up with a white cord and then I visually lift it all up toward the clouds to the Lord. His kind hands are always there reaching down to take it from me. Always! That's where: 3 He restoreth my soul - comes in. When we get tired, we need our soul to be restored by God. That's a beautiful gift to have.

Thanks Vanessa for that lesson. I think I want to read more about Moses again. : ) He was pretty awesome!

message 27: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 13 comments Psalm 91 (New Living Translation)

Psalm 91

1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 This I declare about the Lord:
He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
he is my God, and I trust him.
3 For he will rescue you from every trap
and protect you from deadly disease.
4 He will cover you with his feathers.
He will shelter you with his wings.
His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
5 Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night,
nor the arrow that flies in the day.
6 Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness,
nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
7 Though a thousand fall at your side,
though ten thousand are dying around you,
these evils will not touch you.
8 Just open your eyes,
and see how the wicked are punished.

9 If you make the Lord your refuge,
if you make the Most High your shelter,
10 no evil will conquer you;
no plague will come near your home.
11 For he will order his angels
to protect you wherever you go.
12 They will hold you up with their hands
so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.
13 You will trample upon lions and cobras;
you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet!

14 The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me.
I will protect those who trust in my name.
15 When they call on me, I will answer;
I will be with them in trouble.
I will rescue and honor them.
16 I will reward them with a long life
and give them my salvation.”

Diana, your experience with opening the Bible and blindly pointing at a scripture reminded me of the first time I did that. I was 15 and played cello in our school orchestra. We were in Temple Texas on tour and there was a terrible thunderstorm with tornado warnings. I was terrified of storms!! The hotel we were staying at had a Bible in the room, like most usually do. My friends and I were huddled up and scared. I got the Bible out and blindly opened it up, it fell on Psalms 91! We were all comforted and quieted when I read aloud the verses! I will never forget that night! And I still read Psalms 91 when I am afraid of anything! I no longer am frighted by thunderstorms, but it took years of praying and trusting God to get over that fear. That was just the beginning for me opening my Bible and letting the Lord speak to me, I still do that, and He still leads me to just the right verse!

PEACE my friends!

message 28: by Cammie (last edited Sep 21, 2009 03:54PM) (new)

Cammie Hi everyone! I have a Psalm I heard on a podcast that I loved, out of the Message Bible "God's love is meteoric, his loyalty astronomic, His purpose titanic, his verdicts oceanic. Yet in his largeness nothing gets lost; Not a man, not a mouse, slips through the cracks". Psalm 36:5-6. I Just think it is beautiful, it is in my quotes. :)

message 29: by Sharon (new)

Cammie, I love that Psalm, and the words you shared ARE beautiful!

message 30: by Sharon (new)

Psalm 39:3-4
"Trust in the LORD and do good.
Dwell in His land and enjoy safe pasture,
Delight yourself in the LORD
and He will give you the desires of your heart."

message 31: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessarichardson) | 37 comments Psalms 85:8-13

8 I will hear what God the LORD will speak: for he will speak peace unto his people, and to his saints: but let them not turn again to folly.

9 Surely his salvation is nigh them that fear him; that glory may dwell in our land.

10 Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.

11 Truth shall spring out of the earth; and righteousness shall look down from heaven.

12 Yea, the LORD shall give that which is good; and our land shall yield her increase.

13 Righteousness shall go before him; and shall set us in the way of his steps.

message 32: by Cammie (last edited Oct 06, 2009 07:21PM) (new)

Cammie I have always liked Psalm 139:23&24

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24 See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

I also find the Message version interesting.

Investigate my life, O God,
find out everything about me;
Cross-examine and test me,
get a clear picture of what I'm about;
See for yourself whether I've done anything wrong-
then guide me on the road to eternal life.

message 33: by Sharon (new)

Psalm 104: 3 =

"My God lays the beams of His upper chambers on their waters. He makes the clouds His chariot and rides on the wings of the wind."

message 34: by Cammie (new)

Cammie Psalm 100:4
"Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name."

message 35: by Sharon (new)

thanks Cammie! that Psalm 100:4 is so perfect for Thanksgiving time! It is perfect for ALL the time! :)

message 36: by Sharon (new)

Psalm 13:6 =
"Let my heart rejoice in Your salvation, LORD.
Let me sing of the LORD, "He has been good to me."

message 37: by Cammie (new)

Cammie Hi All!

I think we should add any Bible verse that we like.

Here is one that caught my eye:

Matthew 5:16
"In the same way, let your light shine before people, that may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven."

I found this on a Pass It On Card at Lifeway.

message 38: by Cammie (new)

Cammie Psalm 98:4
"Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth, burst into jubilant song with music;" NIV