Play Book Tag discussion

The Peach Keeper
This topic is about The Peach Keeper
June 2018: Magical Realism > The Peach Keeper, by Sarah Addison Allen- 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Sorry SAA lovers, this one was not for me. I really enjoyed The Girl Who Chased the Moon- but this one was a miss. I'm definitely willing to try more (probably whenever I need to read magical realism again), I remember someone saying this was their least favorite SAA. Hopefully that is the case for me too.

This follows two woman, Willa and Paxton, and "unlikely duo" who become BFFs over solving a 75-year old family mystery that entangles their two lives together. Add a splash of romance, and the smell of peaches (really one of the only magical realism touches), and a shiny bow to wrap things up in the end and that's all. Not much substance, there's a shell of a plot, and some basic characters, but nothing too much more. No depth of character, very shallow. Very feel-good, Hallmark.

Also I was a little (a lot) ENRAGED by the use of sexuality as a plot point.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Is it wrong that, based on the covers, I have decided that this author is not for me? I’m judging books by their covers!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9337 comments I sort of think Susie, that this author is light and fun, But really not up to the writing standards you have come to expect and really love. I consider them poolside reads at best, and that’s just my opinion. Like they’re not terrible or anything, they’re just not in my opinion not to be missed. There are plenty of folks who really love this writer. Granted I’ve only read to you. And I read first frost first, which was the sequel to garden spells. And I have to say I liked first frost better. And you guys know me, I really enjoy magic when it’s done well. These were just so sweet. Hopefully that’s helpful.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Based on your assessment Amy, I think I’m right to steer clear. Thanks!

Nicole D. | 1497 comments Susie wrote: "Is it wrong that, based on the covers, I have decided that this author is not for me? I’m judging books by their covers!"

you've done the right thing

Nicole D. | 1497 comments The Authors Mom got pissed at me about my review of this book. LOL

message 7: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments Seriously, Nicole?! How odd! I’m all for defending one’s children, but books inspire different opinions ...

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6734 comments Nicole D. wrote: "The Authors Mom got pissed at me about my review of this book. LOL"

OMG, really? That's pretty funny actually!!!

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9337 comments I’m usually pretty careful about not insulting authors. But the author of the kiddush ladies upset me so much, that I have been on a rampage trying to get that book off any list and out of any media attention whatsoever except to collect and burn every single existing copy. I have been most vocal about this, and nobody has contested this to me. My understanding is that other people have been disturbed too by the books existence, But no one is as angry to the degree that I am. And yet the mother has left me alone. So far so good.

Jgrace | 3099 comments If I remember correctly this book came out at about the time the author was in chemo for breast cancer. I was very disappointed with the story and I think I was kinder in my review than I should have been. The book felt more like a first draft than a completed manuscript.
I do think she make a great comeback. Lost Lake was a very good story.

message 11: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Jgrace wrote: "Lost Lake was a very good story. ..."

Lost Lake is my favorite SAA book to date.

Nicole D. | 1497 comments I guess Amazon removed my review. There was a Amazon Vine review purge a couple years ago and a lot of our book reviews were deleted.

Basically she told me I had no business criticizing her work while she was being treated for Breast Cancer. LOL.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9337 comments And at any other time it would have been fine? Lol!

message 14: by Joi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Man, and I thought MY mom was embarrassing!! That makes me feel bad for the author, I'm sure she wouldn't condone this behavior. (I hope!)