The Gothic Novel Book Club <Hiatus> discussion

Book of the Month > Nominations for July 2018

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shainlock (last edited Jun 11, 2018 02:44PM) (new)

Shainlock  | 686 comments Mod
Allo’
I had a couple of different ideas to get us started in July. This is the one I came up with. Let’s see how it goes.
I thought we could start with one book poll, but the top or two *maybe three* win( depending on how many ppl vote). You could read one or the other or both. Then they will have their separate discussions. We can put modern gothic and classic gothic—all kinds— and then see what most people want to read. Of course please only vote if you are planning to read and or discuss.
But how does that sound for July 2018?

Let’s have those nominations ! One per person so consider carefully. Classic, Modern, Post-Modern, contemporary, horror......

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I'm on my way to search, Shaina!

message 3: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments OK

message 4: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I would like to nominate The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.

message 5: by Angel (new)

Angel A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott.

message 6: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn I nominate The Elementals by Michael McDowell.

message 7: by Shainlock (new)

Thanks guys!

message 8: by Shainlock (new)

The Death of Mrs. Westaway is my offering because I have heard how much research the author did on gothic mansions.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

message 10: by Shainlock (new)

These all sound good!

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments They do, don't they?

message 12: by Angel (new)

Angel Shaina wrote: "The Death of Mrs. Westaway is my offering because I have heard how much research the author did on gothic mansions."

Good choice, Shaina! I already have that book added to my bookshelf and I've entered a Goodreads giveaway for it.

message 13: by Angel (new)

Angel Kathy wrote: "I nominate Picnic at Hanging Rock."

Got this one already added to my Goodreads bookshelf.

message 14: by Angel (new)

Angel Skye wrote: "I would like to nominate The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton."

Great pick. I have this one already added to my Goodreads bookshelf, too, Skye.

message 15: by Shainlock (new)

I adore Forgotten Garden. Honestly it is one of my favorite books. The others will be new to me.

message 16: by Shainlock (new)

I usually add all of the ones ppl nominate. They usually sound good. And I also find that some are already there.

message 17: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments :)

Kate Morton has another book that falls into this genre, as well.The House at Riverton--this might be it.

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I have read two of the selections already. One received 4 stars. The other five stars. Excellent choices!

message 19: by Skye (new)

message 20: by Angel (new)

Angel Skye wrote: ":)

Kate Morton has another book that falls into this genre, as well.The House at Riverton--this might be it."

Added.

message 21: by Shainlock (new)

She is a favorite author of mine. All her stuff is added and most is read. ;) She has a new one coming out.

message 22: by Skye (new)

I haven't read her as yet.

message 23: by Shainlock (new)

It is my humble opinion that The Forgotten Garden is her best one so far. There are two of hers that I have not read yet, The Secret Keeper and I have read the beginning of The Lake House. This next one sounds amazing. I think you would enjoy it, Skye.

message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I have liked every one of Kate Morton's books that I have read. My favorite was The Lake House. The story was great until the end where everything wrapped up a bit too neatly for me. It was still worth reading.

message 25: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Thanks, Shaina and Kathy; wasn't this book made into a movie with Sandra Bullock and Keeanu Reeves?

message 26: by Shainlock (new)

Same title, different thing. :)

message 27: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments OH, and The Scape Goat was made into "Strangers on a Train."

message 28: by Shainlock (new)

Oh! Everyone needs to know that one for sure. Especially mystery and crime fans, aye?

message 29: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Yes, indeed~

message 30: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I can find the poll, dear Shaina!

message 31: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I need to know if I have to order The House at Riverton.

message 32: by Shainlock (new)

Oh dear, you are on July’s nominations. No. You are okay. The Forgotten Garden was nominated. So no, you don’t have to order that. You’re good

message 33: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Where is the link?

message 34: by Shainlock (new)

The link for what ?

message 35: by Shainlock (new)

You nominated The Forgotten Garden. There isn’t a poll yet.

message 36: by Shainlock (new)

The polls weren’t put up and it’s past the15th so I put them up Skye and I put them on the group hone page.