Toronto Girly Book Club discussion

This Is How It Always Is
This topic is about This Is How It Always Is
June book - Erin's new plan

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (last edited Jun 11, 2018 01:28PM) (new)

Erin So, ladies, I have a plan for June. Instead of boring you all with my myriad style and substance complaints, I will read the book I voted for rather than the book that won. I will do this in months where the winner makes my left eye twitch. So for June, I will read Kamila Shamsie's beautiful "Home Fire" instead of the Frankel book. I will be useless for the book discussion but I will eat and drink heartily, socialize, and based on "Dark Matter" and "The Dry", I may attempt predictions based on basic plot summaries that could prove true. ("You are clearly supposed to believe it's Gretchen. But Gretchen is the red herring.")

Colleen | 2 comments I love this! The list often includes titles that I would much prefer over the selected book. I can't wait to hear what you think about your June pick!

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Blast! Miriam just pointed out that the last Tuesday of June is her Grade Six graduation. :( So, I won't be able to come to this month's club. But I'll let you know about "Home Fire" -- and you can borrow my copy if you want -- and I will read Lisa Ko's "The Leavers" for July -- determined to get there July 31. Here's hoping "The Bedlam Stacks" wins for August!

Sarah Doherty | 5 comments I love this plan, Erin! Will miss you at the June meeting (although I may also not be able to attend as my partner's family will be in town) but hope to see you in July!!

Amie | 7 comments Erin, how were the books you read? How was The Leavers?

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin They were both quite good, I'd recommend both. I certainly don't feel I missed out, as most of the girls I spoke to did NOT think I would be won over on "This is how it always is" or "The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper". (I did read the first 25 pages of the latter. Oy.) Oddly, I thought "Home Fire" started out brilliantly and ended a bit abruptly and not particularly believably -- it maybe stuck to the Antigone plot too closely -- while "The Leavers" almost lost me during the Deming/Daniel sections that make up more than a third of the book, at the beginning, but the mother character, Peilan/Polly, is great, really complex and human. Both books are great examples of how to do a *proper* current issue novel, a story that immerses the reader enough that the moral dilemmas of a situation become real.