Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Kieli, Vol. 1
This topic is about Kieli, Vol. 1
Monthly Reads > Kieli Discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Selena (last edited Jun 28, 2017 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2022 comments Mod
Kieli sees ghosts. It's an odd ability for a 14-year-old girl, and it makes her a bit of an outcast at her boarding school. Her only friend, in fact, is the (semi-) departed spirit of a girl who used to inhabit her room. That is until the two encounter a young man who appears to share Kieli's "gift." It doesn't take long to discover, though, Harvey is an altogether different sort of creature - one of the infamous Undying, the reanimated corpse of a dead soldier. Could it be that in this cursed fellow Kieli has finally found a kindred spirit? Throwing in her lot with this strange, soulless man and his possessed radio, she means to find out...

Discuss Kieli here!

We are reading this with our sister group, the Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club, who is reading the original light novel this is based on. Click here to check out that discussion!

Mike | 389 comments Read this a long time ago and remember enjoying it. Looking forward to revisiting it.

I remember this well enough, but I'm going to give some people a chance to read it before I start talking about it, lol

So how is everyone liking Kieli?

Any favorite characters so far? Or favorite scenes?

Mike | 389 comments Reread vol 1. Forgot how much I loved the concept and characters. There's something really neat here in the way it twists traditional ghost stories around a bit. The Undying angle is really cool too.

Kieli herself is my favorite so far. The scene where Becca is pretending to go away and Harvey calls her on it was so well done. From the revelation of what she is and her intense reaction to the atmosphere and impact created by the art it just totally clicked for me.

Mike | 389 comments Finished vol 2. Fantastic end to this short series. There's a ton packed in there about Harvey and the Corporal, their pasts, and their relationships with Kieli and each other. Yet the pacing and storytelling is perfect - it never feels rushed and everything flows and builds to an intense conclusion. Love it.

Very intrigued to read the light novels sometime, as at 9 volumes it obviously goes quite a bit beyond what we get here.

Mike wrote: "Very intrigued to read the light novels sometime, as at 9 volumes it obviously goes quite a bit beyond what we get here. "

Ditto. I own the first one, but haven't had a chance to read it yet (got it for three bucks, too. Yay used books)

Mike | 389 comments Selena wrote: "Ditto. I own the first one, but haven't had a chance to read it yet (got it for three bucks, too. Yay used books) "

Nice find. :) Vol 1 just won the poll for JSR's Fall Light Novel read, so I'll have my motivation to finally start it soon.

So for those curious, the two volumes of the manga cover what's in the first volume of the light novel. It's also a nice self-contained story that leaves room for more, but if you don't read the LN, you'll still have a satisfying ending.

Phoenix2 | 31 comments Just started this one. It's a bit old school and not the kind of manga I usually read, but I like it so far ^ ^