Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Ghost Hunt, Vol. 1 (Ghost Hunt, #1)
This topic is about Ghost Hunt, Vol. 1
Monthly Reads > Ghost Hunt Discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2018 comments Mod
PARTNERS IN FEAR

The decrepit building was condemned long ago, but every time the owners try to tear it down, “accidents” start to happen–people get hurt, sometimes even killed. Mai Taniyama and her classmates have heard the rumors that the creepy old high school is haunted–possibly by ghosts from the Second World War. So one rainy day they gather at the told school to tell ghost stories, hoping to attract one of the suspected spirits.

No ghosts materialize, but Mai and her friends do meet Kazuya Shibuya, the handsome young owner of Shibuya Psychic Research, who’s been hired to investigate paranormal activity at the school. Also at the scene are an exorcist, a Buddhist monk, a woman who can speak with the dead, and an outspoken Shinto priestess. Surely one of them will have the talents to solve this mystery....

Discuss Ghost Story here!

So I found this to be an interesting series. For a "ghost hunting" series, there is a surprising lack of ghosts in the first volume (oh don't worry, real, creepy ones show up later).

This manga is a spooky one I wouldn't recommend reading alone at night. I did that once. Scared me silly when my cat knocked something over on the table. (not so scary during the day or when other people are around, though).

So what do you all think? Who's your favorite character?

Mike | 389 comments I've only read a few volumes (and need to refresh my memory before continuing) but I love this so far. The opening story does an excellent job of introducing the series and characters while defying expectations a bit. And then things pick up dramatically.

The atmosphere created is just incredible. I watched some of the anime years back and eventually stopped because it got too creepy (I'm a wimp when it comes to horror movies). My tolerance is higher in book form, which is nice because the stories are great and I'm very interested in reading more.

The cast is great in general, but Masako and Mai herself are probably my favorites at this point. Also Monk-san is highly amusing. What about you?

I watched the first episode of the anime, but it was just so slow as compared to the manga (and the first one moves pretty slow to begin with). Maybe I should try it again. :)

My favorite is probably Mai, mostly because of the Mai/Masako duo and the Mai/Naru duo. Actually, Mai interacting with just about anyone.

Just found out they never finished this series in English, with just one volume left to go. I am very said.

Mike | 389 comments That's a shame. :(

Should be getting to this soon.

^ I tried to watch the anime once. The first episode didn't get very far... Does the rest of the anime pick up the pace a bit?

Mike | 389 comments Selena wrote: "^ I tried to watch the anime once. The first episode didn't get very far... Does the rest of the anime pick up the pace a bit?"

If I recall correctly from what I watched they did three episodes for each of the first two volumes. A bit decompressed, but it allowed them to build atmosphere effectively and match the feel of the manga.

---
Reread vol 1. Basic setup and character background refreshed. On to the creepy stuff...

Mike wrote: "On to the creepy stuff... "

Yesssssss. Things get creepy quickly in volume 2. :D

message 10: by Jade (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jade (jade93) Loved this series! Loved Mai and Naru's stubbornness! Tried to watch the anime but couldn't get into it, not as good as the manga

^ Which was your favorite haunting? Mine's gotta be the one in the old mansion, where there are doors and windows where there shouldn't be. Location alone would've been terrifying enough, even without real ghosts. ^^

Mehsi | 37 comments Oh Ghost Hunt. <3 I loved the manga (and also the anime), and I am currently reading the sequel of it (which is also very creepy).

I really liked that, even if we have a ghost/haunting of the week (so to say), we also learn about the characters, their backstories, their families and lives. It is a really interesting series, though at times it is also very creepy!

^ There's a sequel?! I didn't know that! Now I want to read it!

Mehsi | 37 comments Yes. It is called: Akumu no Sumu Ie: Ghost Hunt. Instead of being about multiple haunts it is about only one (well at least so far).

Mehsi wrote: "Yes. It is called: Akumu no Sumu Ie: Ghost Hunt. Instead of being about multiple haunts it is about only one (well at least so far)."

So does that mean it's currently being published in Japan?

It's nice to see this series being brought back.