Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Gone (Gone, #1)
This topic is about Gone
Book Club Discussions > August 2014- Gone by Michael Grant

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Welcome to August's group read of Gone by Michael Grant.

Enjoy!

Jacinda (jacindadietz) | 8 comments 3.5 stars. It started out slow for me, mostly because I had a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the main characters were only fourteen. They behaved older - which made worked later on when they were forced to mature, but bothered me in the beginning - and the mention of AP classes made me think that Astrid was at least 16 before their ages were given. I've worked in multiple high schools, and took AP classes in high school myself not that long ago, and I have never heard of AP classes being offered to freshman, at least not on a school wide basis. I know this is a minor thing, especially if I can accept that kids are throwing flames from their hands, but it is still something that bothered me throughout the book.

The plot is incredibly engaging, especially once I latched on to a few of the characters (I found myself tearing through the Sam sequences just so I could get to the Lana or Albert parts). I also liked how the point of view changed often...it made the whole thing feel a lot like Lost meets Lord of the Flies.

Rebekah | 2 comments I think that I would give it four stars, however, if it hadn't picked up in the fire scene like it did I would be forced to give it three, and I'm honestly not sure I would have read it at all! I just couldn't latch on to ANY of the characters in the beginning, but I ended really enjoying Albert and Astrid, and Mary as well. I had no idea it was a series until a friend told me just before I finished, ha ha!
Overall, it was a fantastic book, Once things picked up. I would totally recommend this to a friend :D

Also, hello! This is the first time I've ever posted here! Call me Becca :)

Rebekah | 2 comments Jacinda wrote: "3.5 stars. It started out slow for me, mostly because I had a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the main characters were only fourteen. They behaved older - which made worked later on..."

My school had AP classes for freshman. Not many, but a couple, usually math or history :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gone (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Grant (other topics)