Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Girl in the Steel Corset
Book Club Discussions > August 2014- The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Welcome to August's group read of The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross.

Enjoy!

message 2: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2014 07:00AM) (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
I own this book, though not intentionally. I saw it some time ago at the library and checked it out. I never got to it and returned it. A few days later, I went to check out more books and there was a hold on my account. I inquired as to why and they said I damaged a book. I was shocked! I would never damage a book! So I went in to pay for this book, and they gave it to me because it was "so badly damaged" that they had to take it out of circulation. The damage was that it got wet (somehow, I don't recall getting it wet) and the red dye from the back binding page seeped into the last 50 pages or so. The book is still completely readable. Apparently, I was the first person to check it out, so that's how they knew it was my fault. This may be one of the most expensive novels I've ever bought at $28!

Long story short, I intend to read this one finally and get my money's worth! (It better be good!!!) :)

Graham & Wolf The Uncanny (graham_and_wolf) | 10 comments Jennifer W, you're in for a treat. This is a great book full of steampunk gadgets, likable characters, lots of action, and a London you won't want to leave. We've already read it, so we'll refer to our notes when commenting further. Hope everyone enjoys it.

Mary Beth (lifelovebooks) I read the series too. It was light and fun steampunk. And I agree lots of great gadgets!!

Celeste (celeste_bocchicchio) | 88 comments I confess that I really didn't like this book. The whole time I was reading it it I kept thinking "gah, is this book over yet?" The love triangle between Finley, Griffin, and Dandy was stereotypical and superficial, Sam's angst was melodramatic, and the supposed plot "twists" were all very predictable. (view spoiler). The whole concept was very Jules Verne meets the X-Men in a way that felt derivative rather than creative. I know a lot of other people liked it, but it just didn't work for me.

message 6: by Jacinda (new)

Jacinda (jacindadietz) | 8 comments It didn't work for me either. I only got a few pages into it before giving up. I almost stuck it out because I had heard good things about it, but then I read the reviews and noticed that the things that annoyed me at first - the writing, the unsympathetic protagonist, the obvious love triangle, and the checklist of steam punk elements - continue throughout.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Girl in the Steel Corset (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kady Cross (other topics)