Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Death at the Château Bremont: 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Death at the Chateau Bremont (Verlaque and Bonnet, #1) by M.L. Longworth

Death at the Château Bremont, M.L. Longworth

★ ★ ★ ★

The fist book in the Verlaque & Bonnet series has a well written & interesting beginning, reuniting the couple who had broken off their relationship prior to the book being written.

Judge Antoine Verlaque, wine & Cuban cigar connoisseur, is called upon to investigate the death of Etienne Bremont, a well known maker of documentary films (the latest one on the Russian mob), who it seems had accidentally fallen out of an attic window of the family château. The only clue being a receipt for 2 brioche from 1954.

Upon further investigation of the attic w/ the grounds-keeper, Jean-Claude Auvieux, a childhood friend of Etienne & his brother Francois, the heavy locked suitcase that was off-limits to children is now empty, all of its contents mysteriously gone.

Verlaque calls upon law professor, Marine Bonnet, for information & help, as she was a close childhood friend of Etienne and the Bremont children, thus making her an important part in the investigation & reuniting her w/ Verlaque.

Much to Verlaque's dismay, the day of Etienne's funeral, his brother Francois, is found dead in the château's fountain... Francois turns out to have been a gambler, working for a Russian mob boss & Russian model agency on the Cote d'Azure, who recently attempted to throw a polo-match he was playing in.

There are other characters all with something to hide: Etienne's wife, his sister-in-law, Jean-Claude's sister, the Russian mob boss's wife, & a polo-playing police officer.

The underlying theme was a comment made by the brothers' mother to their father: "It's as if one brother received all the good and the other all the bad", which was overhead by Marine when they were all children.

I like Verlaque & Bonnet, their characters are well written as are those of Verlaque's co-investigator Bruno Paulik, Marine's friend Sylvie (who loathes Verlaque) & Marine's distant mother.

I find the books (I've read others) rich w/ descriptions of Aix-en Provence, food, wine, cigars, interiors of historic buildings turned apartments, & the overall setting of France.... It makes me want to visit.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! I absolutely love when an author can bring me into a book only by using my five senses. Sincerely, when a writer can do this I typically fall in love with the book. There are many places I want to now visit just based on an authors descriptive nature. It sounds as though this book does just this.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments I never had any desire to go to France, now I do....

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments This is much better than those other 1 star ratings! And it sounds really interesting!

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Nicole R wrote: "This is much better than those other 1 star ratings! And it sounds really interesting!"

So far I like this series very much...

Do not despair, I have read many 4 ★ books in the past 2 months... and right now "Runemarks" by Joanne Harris has started out w/ promise.