♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Monthly Book Discussions > Favorite Childhood Reads

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Jul 31, 2014 05:25PM) (new)

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
What are some of your favorite books from your childhood?

Any favorites that you had to read in school?

message 2: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Jul 31, 2014 05:33PM) (new)

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
Why I'm Afraid of Bees (Goosebumps, #17) by R.L. Stine
I remember my 2nd grade teacher read this to the class and then after that we all went out and bought tons of goosebumps books.

Little Miss Bossy by Roger Hargreaves Mr. Tickle (Mr. Men, #1) by Roger Hargreaves Mr. Happy (Mr. Men, #3) by Roger Hargreaves Mr. Messy (Mr. Men, #8) by Roger Hargreaves Mr. Bump (Mr. Men, #6) by Roger Hargreaves MR Men by Roger Hargreaves
I loved the books in this series when I was little. Even wrote my own in school and just recently found it! LOL

The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day  by Stan Berenstain The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room by Stan Berenstain The Berenstain Bears' New Baby by Stan Berenstain The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School by Stan Berenstain The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV by Stan Berenstain The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners by Stan Berenstain The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor by Stan Berenstain The Berenstain Bears Go to School by Stan Berenstain
Loved The Berenstain Bears!

Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra by Robert Kapilow Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss What Was I Scared Of? by Dr. Seuss How the Grinch stole Christmas! And other stories by Dr. Seuss Horton Hears a Who and Other Sounds of Dr. Seuss Horton Hears a Who; Horton Hatches the Egg; Thidwick, the Big-Hearted Moose by Dr. Seuss Dr.Seuss on the Loose (Dr. Seuss Miniature Edition) by Dr. Seuss
Of course Dr. Suess

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst Charlotte's Web by E.B. White If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Some other favs

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) Magic Tree House #1-4 by Mary Pope Osborne The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1) by Ron Roy The Case of the Game Show Mystery (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley, #27) by Jim Thomas The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) by Carolyn Keene Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy (Junie B. Jones, #12) by Barbara Park Cupid Doesn't Flip Hamburgers (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #12) by Debbie Dadey

Dr. Seuss, especially these books: Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss The Lorax by Dr. Seuss The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss

message 4: by Harlee (new)

Harlee In elementary school, my absolute favorites were the Horrible Harry books by Suzy Kline (I think). Also, the Little House on the Prairie I read and reread numerous times :)

message 5: by Harlee (new)

Harlee @Nikki Omg I almost forgot about that Cupid book! I reread that one a few times along with a couple others from that series.

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Sojkowski (nikkisoj) Harlee wrote: "In elementary school, my absolute favorites were the Horrible Harry books by Suzy Kline (I think). Also, the Little House on the Prairie I read and reread numerous times :)"

I loved reading Horrible Harry too! There was this one book that I read like at least once a week and just started on any page because I had the whole book memorized >.<

A Girl With Her Nose in a Book (musicbook_lover) | 61 comments I liked Ella Enchanted when I was like ten, and Junie B. Jones and The Magic Tree House when I was younger.

A Girl With Her Nose in a Book (musicbook_lover) | 61 comments And Nancy Drew!!!!

message 10: by Jesus (new)

message 11: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey B. Charlie + the Chocolate Factory!!

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Readnour I almost hate to admit, but The Sweet Valley High Series.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 60 comments Kimberly wrote: "I almost hate to admit, but The Sweet Valley High Series."

hahahahhaha! I read that series too! LOL

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 60 comments Huge fan of A Wrinkle in Time (Time, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (misah) | 17 comments Definetely: Little Women
I cried when I finished it because I had such a great time with this book and now it was over...

message 16: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (bronx) Little House on the Prarie and Ann of green Gables

message 17: by Camila (new)

Camila I was OBSESSED with Boxcar Children. I'd started reading them in order and had gotten to number 70 or so when I slowly stopped. I wonder how many there are now...

message 18: by Joi (new)

Joi | 23 comments I loved the Junie B., First Grader Cheater Pants (Junie B. Jones, #21) by Barbara Park . I loved the ENTIRE series.

message 20: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Bryen (kjbryen) | 3 comments Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei

I think this just proved I was going to be a nerd. This was my favorite picture book as a kid.

message 21: by Lena (new)

Lena | 31 comments Kimberly wrote: "I almost hate to admit, but The Sweet Valley High Series."

I read like 100 of these! Before that...

Two Bad Ants by Chris Van Allsburg Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey Outside Over There by Maurice Sendak In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf and, although somewhat inappropriate Amphigorey by Edward Gorey .

A little later, it was on to series books: Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2) by Beverly Cleary Black Beauty by Anna Sewell The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1) by Walter Farley .

Also, all those sad books Old Yeller (Old Yeller, #1) by Fred Gipson Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls and The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

message 22: by Lili (new)

Lili (ceclor97) | 16 comments my favorite was Anne of Green Gables

message 23: by Marian (last edited Aug 17, 2014 07:40PM) (new)

Marian (ButterflyGirl4) | 1 comments The Poky Little Puppy (Little Golden Book) by Janette Sebring Lowrey , Falling Up by Shel Silverstein , Granny by Anthony Horowitz , The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett , The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

message 24: by Emily (last edited Aug 17, 2014 08:14PM) (new)

Emily Donnellan (fallingforya) | 67 comments I absolutely adored Diane Duane's So You Want to be a Wizard series

So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1) by Diane Duane Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2) by Diane Duane High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3) by Diane Duane A Wizard Abroad (Young Wizards, #4) by Diane Duane (+ a bunch more)

Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy
The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3) by Philip Pullman

And of course the Little House on the prairie series! The Long Winter was a particular favorite =)
The Long Winter (Little House, #6) by Laura Ingalls Wilder

message 25: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Rackley (3082584) | 15 comments The magic treehouse series. It used to be my favorite books as a kid, now I can finish off one in like 5 minutes

message 26: by Shadows (new)

Shadows n Secrecy (shadowsnsecrecy) | 50 comments Age 11:

In the Dark Streets Shining by Pamela Evans

Age 12:

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
Winterling by Sarah Prineas
Let Me Whisper You My Story by Moya Simons

Age 13:

Summerkin by Sarah Prineas

message 27: by Bella (new)

Bella (iwriteluvnhope) | 3 comments The Giving Tree! It is now a favorite of my children :)

message 28: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Petkovski (alexwithlove) The Little Princess. The movie is amazing too.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 01, 2015 07:04PM) (new)

- Nancy Drew, Charlotte's Web, and The Hardy Boys.

Was never much of a reader -- my teacher(s) had to force me to pick up a book, and when reading time came along, I would huddle in the corner doing anything BUT reading.

Now I can't get enough reading...

NOW: Young Adult books. Divergent. Ashfall series...etc.

:)

I also remember one of my favorites being Among the Hidden.

message 30: by Vasudha (new)

Vasudha (vasudhaka) Famous Five and Nancy Drew were absolute favourites

message 31: by Geneva (new)

Geneva (hoygeneva) | 2 comments GERONIMO STILTON!