Play Book Tag discussion

The Lovely Bones
This topic is about The Lovely Bones
June 2018: Magical Realism > [LISTOPIA] The Lovely Bones - 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 1 star

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments The basic premise of The Lovely Bones is a girl who has been murdered watches her family and her murderer from heaven as they grieve/contemplate her death and eventually move on with their lives.

I found this book to be gruesome. I think it was trying to be deep but honestly I just found it to be rather disturbing and quite disgusting and honestly most of the time just downright boring. The murder was a sick sick sick one that resulted in her murderer chopping her to bits and separating her bones (hence, "The Lovely Bones"). Just thinking about the book makes me feel ill. I thought it was tasteless and gruesome and not worth my time. Maybe other people enjoy reading such gory details but it was not my thing. I also hated the end scene, with every part of me.

message 2: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I’m sensing that you didn’t like this book AJ!

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 1 star

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments Susie wrote: "I’m sensing that you didn’t like this book AJ!"

Haha not at all

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments AJ, I also did not like this book. In fact, I didn't even finish it! So, kudos for reading to the end?

message 5: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I forgot about the magical realism part of this. That was super weird, and I really didn't like that aspect.
I gave this three stars, didn't find it disturbing or anything. I enjoyed it while it lasted, but pretty middle-of-the-road.

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments If it is any consolation, I really didn't care for this book either.

I'll admit that at the time, I really didn't know what "magical realism" was, but in hindsight, I guess my distaste for it started early as I read this right when it came out. And I don't mind dark or graphic books, so it wasn't that.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9371 comments I heard about the promise and also decided to pass early on. There’s no amount of good writing they could make up for certain things I don’t want to contemplate.

message 8: by LibraryCin (new) - added it

LibraryCin | 9077 comments Anita wrote: "If it is any consolation, I really didn't care for this book either.

I'll admit that at the time, I really didn't know what "magical realism" was, but in hindsight, I guess my distaste for it star..."

I've read this, but honestly don't recall what I thought of it.

The book that was like that for me, Anita... not knowing what magical realism was, but really not liking a book that epitomizes it, was Like Water for Chocolate.

Nicole | 430 comments Add my name to the list of people who didn’t care for this one. It was so long ago, I don’t recall exactly why I didn’t like it but I do recall thinking the ending was frustratingly bad.