Christian Nonfiction Lovers Book Club discussion

Divorce – Remarriage and the Innocent Spouse: Counseling for Betrayed Believers (Straight Talk Bible Study, Book One)
Q&A on Biblical Topics > Are there ever biblical grounds for a Christian to divorce and remarry?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian Keel (christiankeel) | 7 comments Did you know that there are four basic views about what is biblically allowed concerning divorce and remarriage? Here they are:

1. No divorce or remarriage under any circumstances
2. Divorce under limited circumstances, but no remarriage
3. Divorce and remarriage under limited circumstances
4. Divorce and remarriage under any circumstances, by grace

Though my view (#3) is with the majority of Christian scholarship in believing that the Bible allows for divorce and sometimes remarriage under limited circumstances, there is a vocal minority that differs. I love this board's "Kindness Rules" directive. So, let's have an open, gracious, and respectful exchange of views. Without digressing into debating other's views, what is your view on this question:

Are there ever biblical grounds for a Christian to divorce and remarry?

Divorce – Remarriage and the Innocent Spouse Counseling for Betrayed Believers (Straight Talk Bible Study) by Christian Keel Christian Keel

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 17 comments Biblical "grounds for" a Christian to divorce and remarry... NO!

Biblical "allowance for" a Christian to divorce and remarry... YES!

* Before either party becomes a Christian
Psalm 103:12 - "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us."

* If the unbeliever leaves
1 Corinthians 7:15 - "But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace."

* For the cause of fornication
Matthew 19:9 - "And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery."

message 3: by MB (new) - rated it 5 stars

MB | 1 comments I'm with view #3: divorce and remarriage under limited circumstances.

message 4: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 446 comments Hi Christian, thanks for posting this topic/question. The Bible speaks about divorce both in Old and New Testament. One of the reasons (for people to divorce) being our hardened hearts.
I personally think God is always in favor of reconciliation. But I understand this is not always possible.