What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Warwyck's Woman
This topic is about Warwyck's Woman
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical Fiction: 2 books family saga. Ambitious common man falls in love with local rich, spoiled girl, marries different woman. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Su (new) - rated it 4 stars

Su | 19 comments I read these two book serial years ego.
I am looking for two sequential historical fiction books published probably around 1970s or even earlier about an ambitious common man (I think he was a pugilist as well as a working man) who falls in love with a local rich and spoiled girl but she snubs him even though she is really interested in him. He gets married to another woman for business reasons. I think she is daughter of a merchant (might be his boss`s daughter). Later he becomes really rich and he genuinely starts to love his wife.
In the 2nd book of the series is a story about grand children’s love. Love between children of warring families. They are the grand kids of the hero and his unrequited love (spoiled rich woman). In this book the wife from the first book is death. Her older husband hero misses her terribly. His first love is an old woman now too and they still war and continue a business rivalry. 1st book story is set in late 19th century or early 20th century. 2nd book is contemporary around the time the book was written (I guess) 60s or 70s.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
What country is the saga set in? If the U.S., what state or region?

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33466 comments Mod
The Immigrants by Howard Fast? Here's a link for the Lavette Family series - https://www.goodreads.com/series/9790...

message 4: by Su (new) - rated it 4 stars

Su | 19 comments No, that is not it. The books I am looking for was written by a woman.
Thank you for the input though.

message 5: by Su (new) - rated it 4 stars

Su | 19 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "What country is the saga set in? If the U.S., what state or region?"

I don't remember the country of setting. :(
Might be England.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Something by Norah Lofts?

message 7: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments bumping - Su, did you figure it out?

message 8: by Su (new) - rated it 4 stars

Su | 19 comments Nothing so far.

message 9: by Su (new) - rated it 4 stars

Su | 19 comments Hello Everyone!
I found it!
Warwyck's Woman by Rosalind Laker
Just now I got a sudden inspiration to search for "Pugilist Heros" in book lists. Bingo! There is the book! As soon as I saw the name and the cover I knew it! Thank God, thank you the list contributor, thank you the list creator and thank you goodreads. You have no idea how a book lover can become obsessed with a book she can't remember the name of it.
I remembered many things right about the books except it was a 3 books sequel and in fact I read the 1st and last one not the second one yet. I will read all three of them as soon as I get the books.
THANK YOU ALL ...

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33466 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Su. Here's the link - Warwyck's Woman by Rosalind Laker.