What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

His Hour
This topic is about His Hour
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical Romance: Setting is Russia. About love of a British companion and a Russian Prince [s]

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Su (new) - rated it 3 stars

Su | 19 comments I read this book around 1981. It is a typical historical romance book about an English improvised woman (might be a companion to an old lady) who was visiting Russia. A Russian Prince falls in love with her. There is train trip where heroine pretends sleeping in a shared with old woman wagon bank bed when hero visits them unexpectedly. Later hero ends up kidnapping heroine. She holds a gun to him to prevent him from compromising her honor. She returns the gun to her own head when he does not stop when danger is only to him, He sits down and waits her to fall asleep with exhaustion, so that he can remove the gun from her. Two Russian words used in the book are Da and Dushenka

message 2: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1198 comments If you haven't done this already you might check out this listopia
Romance in Russia and or Russian Heroes and Heroines for possible matches.

The description made me wonder if it was a Susan Johnson book (sounds like something she'd write), she has a Russian series but none of the descriptions I saw look like a match to me. Might be worth checking anyway in case they look familiar to you.

message 3: by Su (new) - rated it 3 stars

Su | 19 comments Aerulan wrote: "If you haven't done this already you might check out this listopia
Romance in Russia and or Russian Heroes and Heroines for possible matches.

The description made me wonder if it was a Susan John..."

Thank you for the advise.
It wasn't Susan Johnson. This had no erotic content at all.

message 4: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments Maybe the Kirov series by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles? Check book 1, Anna.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Anna for CLM's suggestion.

message 6: by Su (new) - rated it 3 stars

Su | 19 comments Thank you both for your suggestions. The book that I am looking for is probably from 1970s since I read it in 1981.
Also I don't remember any children involved so h. can't be a governess. I remember slates on snow as main transportation vehicle, St. Petersburg as main setting and a train ride.

message 7: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments Have you looked at books by Dinah Dean?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Bump. Su is still looking for this book.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Adding Laurie's suggestions from the deleted thread:

"Constance Heaven wrote a series of books set in Russia with the first being The House of Kuragin."

She also suggested looking at this list:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/5...

message 10: by Su (new) - rated it 3 stars

Su | 19 comments Sorry. The House of Kuragin books are not matching, though they also sound good books to read. Thank you for the advice.

The book I am looking for is more like a Barbara Cartland book with no married men/women in relationship. Both H and h are singles. It is very clean cut even though there is a lot of emotional upheavals and torments going on there is no erotica or sex involved... The Prince is a rough wants to possess the girl and girl is a virtuous woman who doesn't want to submit to the prince.

message 11: by Su (new) - rated it 3 stars

Su | 19 comments CLM wrote: "Have you looked at books by Dinah Dean?"

Thank you for your kind response.
I checked her Russian Series and unfortunately none of them are the one that I am looking for. Except I am not sure about the The Green Gallant by Jane Hunt (Dinah Dean) because I can't find the description of that book.

message 12: by Kris (last edited Apr 29, 2016 07:50AM) (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
A bit more information on The Green Gallant by Jane Hunt (also known as Dinah Dean).

Found on a blog site: "If you enjoyed this, you might like to know that 'Dinah Dean' wrote a number of other novels set during the Napoleonic Wars, in England or Russia. The Russian ones involve a set of characters, some of whom appear in each one of the books, and they give an interesting perspective on Napoleon's invasion of Russia, and life generally amongst the nobility in Tsarist Russia at that time. There is another book belonging to this series; 'The Green Gallant' written under the name 'Jane Hunt'. Hard to find. Several of her English novels were written as 'Marjorie May'."

message 13: by Kris (new)

It she kidnapped on the train or elsewhere?

Is the story set in London?

message 14: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 545 comments I have a suggestion for you The Ice King by Dinah Dean from 1980.

She'd resigned herself to her dismal fate. Tanya had no money, and now with the death of her uncle, no home. The solution was a virtual prison sentence: she must take a job as companion to a reclusive and ailing old woman in a remote Russian Village. But fate granted her a reprieve. Kindly relatives offered her a season in St. Petersburg, and Tanya was thrilled and grateful. St. Petersburg was the city of her dreams. She was determined to pack a lifetime into that one all-too-short visit. And the disturbing Prince Nikolai was there to see that she did!

He was acting like a jealous man. But the moment the thought entered her head, Tanya dismissed it as utterly impossible. A person had to have feelings in order to be jealous, and Prince Nikolai hadn't earned the name Ice King for nothing. He seemed devoid of all emotion,­ particularly love. What had happened to him, wondered Tanya, to turn his heart so cold that no woman had been able to thaw it? The answer to the question was shocking, and it turned Tanya's feelings into a confused mixture of pity...and love.

The Ice King by Dinah Dean

message 15: by Su (new) - rated it 3 stars

Su | 19 comments Hi Jenny,
I know it sounds very similar and I was very excited when I first read the description of that book. I read `The Ice King` quite recently. But unfortunately, that was not it either. :(
Thanks for the nice try :)
Warmest Regards,
Su

message 16: by Su (new) - rated it 3 stars

Su | 19 comments The h in the book that I am looking for is English with no Russian ancestors.

message 17: by Su (new) - rated it 3 stars

Su | 19 comments Hi Kris,
No she was not kidnapped on the train. I don't remember the details of the actual kidnapping. Train scene was just a romantic scene where H went to h`s and old ladies wagon on some kind of pretext, Old lady let him in. He watched h sleeping (actually she was pretending).
The setting was Russia, mostly Saint Petersburg.

message 18: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Carolina | 1 comments Hello. This book is His Hour, by Elinor Glyn

message 19: by Kris (new)

His Hour by Elinor Glyn - Ana's suggestion

message 20: by Su (new) - rated it 3 stars

Su | 19 comments Ana wrote: "Hello. This book is His Hour, by Elinor Glyn"

YES! That is the book! THANK YOU, Ana. I am very grateful. I was looking for this book for about 35 years now. I posted here first in 2014. Finally you found it for me. May you find something precious too. :)

All the best,

SU

message 21: by Su (new) - rated it 3 stars

Su | 19 comments Kris wrote: "His Hour by Elinor Glyn - Ana's suggestion"

THANK YOU, all for helping me to find the book.