Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

To Ride Hell’s Chasm
This topic is about To Ride Hell’s Chasm
Wurts - Wars of L&S & More > To Ride Hell's Chasm [Sept 17, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for To Ride Hell’s Chasm by Janny Wurts starting June 12, 2018.
To Ride Hell’s Chasm by Janny Wurts

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments thanks Niki! 😘

Virginie | 5795 comments Thanks Cap'

Virginie | 5795 comments Read chapter 1 last night. I had somehow forgotten how beautiful Janny's writing is!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I'm reading it now. will come back with my spoilery comments in the morning. :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Virginie wrote: "Read chapter 1 last night. I had somehow forgotten how beautiful Janny's writing is!"

Agreed. Not even Kay writes this good! And I love Kay's writing. But truth is truth!:)

message 7: by Laura (last edited Jun 19, 2018 08:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Virginie! Virginiee!
Have you gone and left me all alone here?!

Where are you V! (*Laura hollers*) 😁😁

message 8: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko (chokog) | 7761 comments I will be here... I have gone and gotten sick, so the fever has been keeping me from reading, but I am here... You are not alone!!!

message 9: by Laura (last edited Jun 19, 2018 08:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Phew (*wiping sweaty brow*)
Thanks Choko!
I do hope you'll feel better soon and I have to tell you, you're gonna love this book. Scout's honour - it's fantastic. Among the best standalones I've ever read.

And I'm so happy one more lady will join the Mykkael fan club. Cause I'm sure you will as that man is a keeper. 😉

Looking forward to ranting and gushing with you and I'm only at chapter 8 so no hurry. We can take it slow.

message 10: by Virginie (last edited Jun 20, 2018 02:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Laura! I'm here, I'm here!
So sorry for leaving you alone until now. I've been crazy busy these days, with health problems on top of that.
I'm ashamed to admit that... I'm still at chapter 1 --"
It's good that John over at FBC and Choko here are joining 'cause I'm being a horrible reading partner :o I'm really sorry :'(
I'll def read all those comments and posts thoughts of my own when I reach the relevant chapters. It might take forever but I'm not giving up!

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
NEW BR OF THIS BOOK - Starting Sept 17th

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thank you Jenna. :)

message 13: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Ready and steady. ;)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Yeay Mayim!! Looking forward to reading this with you. 😘

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Did you guys start this already? If yes where are you at?
And do you like it?

message 16: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I have only started a couple of pages to feel the essence of the book. I like it so far. I'll try to update you every couple of chapters. I also tried to talk Veronica and Shaitarin into joining us. :D

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Is it ok for you if I post comments for each chapter? I sort of got used to that on the Wars of Light and Shadow thread.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments @Daniel - did you also start reading this?

message 19: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments By all means ; that will motivate me!

Daniel | 1536 comments I am starting after I post this...😁

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I'll start it in the morning. Had no time to read on Sunday but I actually managed to finish another long due review - the one for Grand Conspiracy.

I am not very sure it turned out all-right so would you guys please check and let me know? It's just that I haven't seen any other review like this anywhere else and it's new ground I'm threading on. It's innovative for sure but would people like smth like that or no?

here is the link:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments Love the review :) and the gifs!

I read the first chapter and am intrigued.

Daniel | 1536 comments Read the first four chapters...very interesting although (view spoiler) in any event, let me know what pace we are attempting to hold!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments @Daniel - only 3 times and don't yet know it by heart but getting very close to it. :D

I'll post in another 2 or 3 hours as I have a few errands to run now. With this book what you need to do is see beyond the plot. Because it talks about mistrust and prejudice, about hatred and not fitting in and so many other issues that are common nowadays.

Before I get to write my essay think of Mykkael and Taskin. Who is in charge? And what about the other? Taskin did that for a particular reason that goes way beyond the surface.

Doesn't matter the pace. I've read it anyway so I'll keep chatting with you at whatever pace you read. Mayim and Olivia will take it slower I think.

Daniel | 1536 comments hmmm okay Ma’am. I might start calling you Janny Jr.....:D

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Daniel wrote: "hmmm okay Ma’am. I might start calling you Janny Jr.....:D"

Ha Ha!! I told you I'll be smothering you with comments for this one :D !!!

Get ready for some very unorthodox analogies involving pit-bulls. :) (no. I am not joking!)

Daniel | 1536 comments Smothering isn’t possible. I was referring to the obliqueness of your answer...basically you said RAFO...which is more than fine. Bring on the zany analogies! Out til tomorrow.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments First of all, the dedication:

For the warriors,
may they keep their hearts open.
For those who make decisions and hold sway
over others,
may they do the same only more so.
And for all who have given or lost their lives
because one or the other fell short -
this story.

I love this dedication. Because it goes so well not only for the book, but also for our everyday lives. We all have our wars to fight and perhaps someone to either lead or follow. And we all fail because either one or the other fall short at times.

Chapter 1

I adore Mykkael - As if I didn't say it 100 times before. :D
His thunderous temper and strong will combined with that so very well hidden vulnerability! I wanna give him a big hug but he'll probably be too proud to accept it. :)

(view spoiler)

I like King Isedon. Despite his frail appearance I could swear he is a very smart and shrewd old man.

And Taskin - still reserved about him now, in the beginning, because (view spoiler)
So not so bad Taskin! Not so bad at all!

And we get a lot of contrasts here.
(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Chapter 3 and the scene Daniel mentioned

(view spoiler)

What do you guys think about the different ways in which Mykkael's name is pronounced. Mykkael - Myshkael?

and what do you think about Jussoud?

message 30: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Laura wrote: "First of all, the dedication:

For the warriors,
may they keep their hearts open.
For those who make decisions and hold sway
over others,
may they do the same only more so.
And for all who have ..."

Chapter 1.

This is my first Janny, so I'd like to start by saying that she writes a lovely prose! Unfortunately, my current condition means that I am falling asleep the moment I lie down and so my progress is snail-paced but it is by no means testament to her prose. She writes eelegantly, engagingly and paints vivid pictures! I love her characterisations! Not so much Mykkael (the damaged warrior trope is not one of my favourites) but others - undeniably. The way Taskin was shown, not so much described (the prowling tiger, radiating both danger and integrity) but also other minor figures in the court changed the whole imaginary scene into a breathing and living one.

But I appreciate the most that we learn about the Princess through her absence. Scattered belongings, witness testimonies (sometimes contradictory) in which expectations and personal biases mix with realities.

I am also very curious about what lies behind the disappearance.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments @Mayim - I don't love Mykkael because of the damaged warrior thing. I love him for what he represents as a character.
Foreigner, of a different race and skin colour, held in contempt, making his way among people who openly scorn him and despise him. Add to that all the rest of the features in his character and the fact that he keeps going on against all odds ... that's what I love about him. Perhaps you'll grow to like him later on.

I love Taskin too, as well as a few other side characters who are great. But I don't really love this novel because of Mykkael, though he is a part of it. I love it because of what it talks about. Because of prejudice and hatred, honour, dedication and sacrifice.
I love it because of the love of a brother for another and because of the true deep love of a man for a woman.

message 32: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Laura, he reminds me of Cazaril a bit. I simply think I will need more time to warm up to him, I am at chapter 4 at the moment and things are getting more and more interesting with each page.

I love Mykkael - Taskin vibes. The grudging respect hidden under all this male posturing. :D

message 33: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 3 and the scene Daniel mentioned

Sessalie's people seem shit scared of sorcery along with anything else that hints at it.

There is that old saying - people fear what they do not understan..."

The whole unstrip sccene was for me (view spoiler)

He can fight and he is smart and he knows languages and he knows magic. Is there anything this boy cannot do? ;p

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Yep. He is using (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments The dialogues are the best. And the interaction between characters. Everyone counts here, not just Mykkael and Taskin.
And yes, he does remind me of Cazaril also.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments Owing a wonky knee myself I have a lot of sympathy for Mykkael. I would like that massage please. Sounds like it would help with all my current stress.

I’m very much intrigued by everything and love the dynamic between Mykkael and Taskin.

Daniel | 1536 comments My goodness that massage sounds good. Owner of a three level lumbar fusion I can swear to how crippling spasms can be. Just getting started on reading today. I love (view spoiler)and the dialogue is very well done.

message 38: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Up to chapter 5: people are dying! oh no, loose ends are silenced!

Daniel | 1536 comments Yeah the Villain/villains don’t mess around in this book!

message 40: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I suspect (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments @Daniel - what do you think about the scene? Both Mayim and I wrote down how we saw it.

Daniel | 1536 comments I am pretty sure you guys are basically correct. The problem I have is that when reading that scene it pulled me out of the book. Like two jigsaw pieces that does flat ass do not go together. The same thing happened to me again in a scene from chapter seven. I will post more tomorrow. Today completely got away from me 😭

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments At the beginning of V, Kailen definitely (view spoiler)

Also spoiler, quote, last sentence of chapter V

(view spoiler)

had me laughing.

Daniel | 1536 comments @ Olivia in response to second spoiler...just wait and see what happens when he does wake up Mykkael!

message 45: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I've reached chapter 10 and I really think that even if the Prince Charming himself (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Janny just replied on the Q&A thread to my little question of what the book is about and she put it so amazingly black on white - all the reasons I simply adore this book. Do check it out please.

And hope you guys like it too. :)

message 47: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I saw that and it's amazing. I will write something but I was taken to hospital today and so no computer. Loads of reading time though.

Daniel | 1536 comments Yes read her answer and it definitely fits. Janny loves turning suppositions inside out and having preconceptions eviscerated. This book as of now reads like a whodunit murder mystery to me, but I am only in chapter eight.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Mayim wrote: "I saw that and it's amazing. I will write something but I was taken to hospital today and so no computer. Loads of reading time though."

I hope it's nothing serious Mayim.
We've spent today in the hospital also but not much of reading time there.

Daniel | 1536 comments Hope everyone is okay.

« previous 1 3