What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Children's/ YA book about tomboy during her summer

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gianna (new)

Gianna | 1 comments I probably read this around 2003, but I don't know how old the book was at the time.

It follows a tomboyish girl and her various escapades during the summer...She lives in a typical suburban neighborhood. She mostly hangs out with her brothers and best friend and doesn't like being the only girl, eventually comes to terms with it.

I remember one specific part when she stole a book or magazine from a local store biked home with it hidden in the waistband of her shorts and felt so guilty when she got home that she hid it under her mattress.

Had a boy who was her best friend who she developed a crush on...

message 2: by Tab (last edited Aug 12, 2014 03:16PM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments How I Survived Being a Girl How I Survived Being a Girl by Wendelin Van Draanen ?

Do you remember the cover?

Twelve-year-old Carolyn, the middle child and only girl in a family of three children, spends her days mourning the fact that she is not a boy. It seems to her that boys have all the fun, and all the other girls she meets are drips who only care about their hairstyles. But when Carolyn's mother announces she's pregnant, Carolyn is excited, and begins to think that maybe being a girl isn't so bad after all. Carolyn also begins to see more advantages in being a girl as she forges a relationship with her neighbor and classmate, Charlie.

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Do you have any idea when the story was set -- 1950s, 1960s, 2000s? What happened with the best friend? Any recollection of how long the book was (short, medium, long)?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Gianna, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments Potentially something on the Who doesn't love a tomboy? list.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Gianna, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years; moving to Abandoned.