Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Denali's Howl: The Deadliest Climbing Disaster on America's Wildest Peak by Andy Hall - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4648 comments Denali's Howl: The Deadliest Climbing Disaster on America's Wildest Peak by Andy Hall - 3+ stars
(Note; This may have been 4 stars if I had read it instead of listened to it.)

True story of the ill-fated Wilcox Expedition that climbed to the summit of Denali in 1967. Twelve climbers set out; five returned. The author, Andy Hall, has a personal connection to the tragedy. He was five years old at the time, and his father was the park superintendent. The author has done a good job of assembling the puzzle pieces to suggest what happened to the climbers during the mega-storm that blew hurricane force winds over the high peaks. He tells the story in a journalistic manner and throws in interesting peripheral information about mountain climbing, meteorology, and what has changed in the past almost 50 years to make climbing safer. He also includes a touching tribute to his father.

Hall pulls together research and interviews into a compelling account. He comments on the transience of human memory, as many of the accounts differ as to the specifics of what happened. I felt the author sifted through all the information to come as close as possible to figuring out what happened. My primary issue with it is that the audio sounds like a dull droning documentary. The narration improves toward the end and includes more voice inflection, but I feel I would have appreciated it even more if I had read rather than listened to it. Content warnings include descriptions of bodies, explanations of the many ways death can occur in conditions of extreme cold and altitude, and a bit of profanity. Recommended for readers interested in mountaineering and its history.

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8432 comments Went to the library today to get this-thanks for the review!

message 3: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4648 comments You're welcome. Hope you enjoy it!