What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 70s or 80s YA about a girl who is the only one not disabled. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becki (new)

Becki | 7 comments I read this in the 80's, but it coyld have been published in the 70's.

A high school girl is being fostered by a family that had adopted a bunch of kids already, and all (or almost all) of them have some sort of disability. She is embarressed because she doesn't want other kids to think she is "one of them." I know at the end they throw her a party and decide to adopt her and she is happy because she has come to love them.

message 2: by Becki (new)

Becki | 7 comments Not ringing a bell with anyone? Hmmm....I hope I didn't imagine it, lol

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40689 comments Mod
Becki, please note that you can bump your request every 30 days, not more often because the group is so large.

message 4: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2521 comments Only just seen this post ...
Not sure if a match. Would it be a Scholastic book?
http://www.librarything.com/work/4300...
The family nobody wanted by Helen Doss.

message 5: by Becki (new)

Becki | 7 comments Thanks bookel, but nope, that's not it. Lobstergirl, sorry about that. Didn't stop to think that commenting would bump it. Won't do it again!

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6965 comments Mod
Becki you are allowed to answer posts or if you remember something else you can post. But we do encourage people to NOT do bump ups before that 30 day time period has passed.

message 7: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2521 comments Just to eliminate. Couldn't find any typical keywords relevant on google books snippet view re disabilities, or the term probably used then, handicapped.

God, when will I ever belong?
Author: Katherine Marko; Michael Hackett
Publisher: St. Louis : Concordia Pub. House, ©1979.
Edition/Format: Print book : Fiction : Juvenile audience : EnglishView all editions and formats
Summary:
After a sequence of foster homes in which she was unhappy, 12-year-old Jeanie finds herself in a new one she dislikes for the same reasons.
Rating:
(not

message 8: by bookel (last edited Jun 30, 2018 05:52AM) (new)

bookel | 2521 comments Second-hand family
Author: Richard Parker
Publisher: Leicester [England] : Brockhampton Press, 1965.
Edition/Format: Print book : Fiction : Juvenile audience : English : 1st edView all editions and formats
Rating:
(not yet rated) 0 with reviews - Be the first.
Subjects
Foster home care -- Fiction.
Foster home care.
Adoption -- Fiction.

The happy answer.
Author: Ruth Forbes Chandler
Publisher: London, New York, Abelard-Schuman [1957]
Edition/Format: Print book : Fiction : Juvenile audience : EnglishView all editions and formats
Rating:
Subjects
Foster children -- Juvenile fiction.
Adopted children -- Juvenile fiction.
Adopted children.

The great Gilly Hopkins
Author: Katherine Paterson
Publisher: New York : Scholastic, ©1978.
Summary:
An eleven-year-old foster child tries to cope with her longings and fears as she schemes against everyone who tries to be friendly.
Rating:
Subjects
foster home-juvenile fiction, family, love, acceptance, adopt, responsibility.
Foster home care -- Fiction.

message 9: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Maybe The Pinballs ? It's been so long I can't remember the plot points though.