What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Woebegone Twins (Tales from Schwartzgarten, #2)
This topic is about The Woebegone Twins
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Vaguely gothic/gory children's book, set in a germanic city where there are orphan twins with almond allergies and an evil author who writes in purple ink who adopts and plans to kill them. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

emmmmmm(a) (emmahasbooks) | 3 comments This book had probably several stories, or many books in a series, I am not sure. The entire series/stories are set in a vaguely german sounding town sometime in the late 19th century to early 20th century.

The part of the story I remember had two boy and girl twins living with an aunt (?) and they had a friend who was an adult man or something. The twins had an almond allergy, and after they meet this enigmatic writer hero of theirs who used purple ink, they get an almond cake that their aunt eats for them, and then she dies. The writer whisks them away but through a series of clues or something they realise that she plans to kill them and has for many orphans before. They manage to escape and with the man and a bunch of other friends (i think?) they defeat/kill her.
The other bit of a story I remember is where this boy and this girl are competing for a place in a music school (pretty sure) and they get in (bit muddy on this bit) and he starts killing off the teachers because they did something and the girl knows but stays quiet. After they have to play for this thing and she hears him play, she realises she will never beat him because he has something extra, so she turns him in.

I read this as a child sometime in 2013/14, though it was definitely published earlier.

message 2: by Ember (new)

Ember Goldstein (plotmountains) | 1 comments omg i read this the same year you did, and i got that book confiscated because the teacher caught me reading it during class

the story was memorable but i cant remember what the title was (it's something along the lines of "the _ twins/children" and i think the cover is blue) or who wrote it (i swear it was enid blyton,, someone pretty famous) but by any chance does the book start with the adult man standing outside the twins' house, and one of them notices and alerts their aunt?? the first line was something like "the man was still there"

IDKIDK IT'S JUST WHAT I REMEMBER BUT I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT TRUST ME IT WAS A CHILDHOOD FAV

emmmmmm(a) (emmahasbooks) | 3 comments Ember wrote: "omg i read this the same year you did, and i got that book confiscated because the teacher caught me reading it during class

the story was memorable but i cant remember what the title was (it's so..."

that's right!!! it's such a good book !!!!!

message 6: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2562 comments You're welcome.