Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

Favorite Authors/Books/Series > Underrated Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

One of the things I like to do is find authors that are published but don't get a lot of reviews on Kindle yet they are great books. Here is one example. See if you can think of others.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The Girl Next Door by Patricia MacDonald

You can check out my review on Goodreads. I thought this was a great psychological thriller worth five stars yet this author is lucky to get 20 reviews.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1) by Matt Hilton

Some people might say that Matt Hilton is the next Lee Child. I'm not so sure yet but this was a great book yet this author gets about 70 reviews.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Suicide Squeeze by Victor Gischler

Victor Gischler has probably been one of the most under rated authors there is. He has won a lot of short story awards over the years and here is his best work to date. It all revolves around a Joe DiMaggio baseball card that was signed by Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe, and some zany people who are after it. If you're into Elmore Leonard, then this should knock your socks off. Only 17 reviews on Kindle but I gave it more than five stars after I read it.

message 5: by Simon (new)

Simon | 8 comments Definitely Michael Robotham, Bleed for Me is really good.

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Walker | 13 comments Is that a series?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Looks that way. I put Suspect on my wish list. Looks good. Thanks.

message 8: by Simon (new)

Simon | 8 comments Ron wrote: "Looks that way. I put Suspect on my wish list. Looks good. Thanks."
I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Brenda wrote: "Is that a series?"
Yup, it's a series :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Big City, Bad Blood (Ray Dudgeon, #1) by Sean Chercover

Great book that brings you back to the days of pulp fiction with great writers like Mickey Spillane, Frank Kane, and Mike Roscoe, just to name a few. It's up to 97 reviews but the price has been fluctuating between .99 and $1.99. Great book worth five stars to me.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1) by Peter Lovesey

One of my favorite books from last year. Peter Lovesey has won a lot of awards as a writer but doesn't seem to get the fan base that someone like Peter Robinson has. Great British writer that would get more five star reviews if his books were read.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Good Bait by John Harvey

If you have a Kindle, they you could buy this book right now for $1.99 like I did before the price goes back up. Harvey is another underrated writer who has 26 reviews on Kindle. Might be as good as Peter Robinson, Ian Rankin, or Peter Lovesey. Here is a review in the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/enterta...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

The Girl with a Clock for a Heart A Novel by Peter Swanson

This book could be worth a look for $1.99 on Kindle right now before the price goes up. Great review in the Washington Post. Book is optioned for a film. Highly original story according to the review. Could be a contender for the best crime novel of the year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/enterta...

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 06, 2014 03:43PM) (new)

The Price Of Blood (Phil Broker, #1) by Chuck Logan

Did you see Homefront with Jason Statham? Have you watched The Strain on FX? Well, Chuck Logan is the writer and his first book, The Price Of Blood, is part one in his series with Phil Broker. Homefront is part six of this series.
Chuck is getting about 20 reviews on all his books on Amazon. If you liked HomeFront like I did, you may want to start on The Price Of Blood.

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Underrated authors... I'd say James Church. His books set in North Korea are excellent but I rarely hear anything about them...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice pick on James Church. I forgot this was on my wish list so I'm continuing to keep an eye on this series.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

No Mercy (A Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #1) by Lori G. Armstrong

Seems like a good story about Mercy Thompson, a female army sniper. Gets about 30 reviews for all her books. Most of them have good reviews. Might be worth checking out.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Untraceable (Tracers, #1) by Laura Griffin

This is an interesting series. Books have different characters in each book. Laura Griffin's getting about 70 reviews a book now. I enjoyed her first book in the series. Review is there on Goodreads.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Lonely Hearts (Charlie Resnick, #1) by John Harvey

Mentioned John Harvey here for Good Bait, the first book in his detective series DCI Karen Shields.

Lonely Hearts is the first book in the series for Charles Resnick. Both books are now $1.99 on Kindle.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Bloody Secrets (Lupe Solano, #3) by Carolina Garcia-Aguilera

Before there was Kindle or the Internet, there were authors that weren't popular and went out of print. Thanks to Kindle and Nook, some authors can come back and this is one of them. I read Bloody Shame many years ago and still have it along with Bloody Secrets, which I plan to read soon.

This is a private detective series about a woman from Cuba named Lupe Solano. All the books are not on Kindle yet but hopefully, they will be soon. Nelson DeMille said "Caroline Garcia-Aguilera has created a new private eye named Lupe Solano - and what a creation she is - strong, sexy, funny, and Miami-smart. A wonderful new addition to the ranks of female P.I.'s."

I remember Blood Shame being a five star book.

message 20: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 123 comments One author I enjoyed when I find her is Nancy Bush The first book I read Candy Apple Red and the next two in the series. Than I didn't find a book until I'll Find You by Nancy Bush It was as good as I remembered. The rest of her books are on my TBR list.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Betty wrote: "One author I enjoyed when I find her is Nancy Bush The first book I read Candy Apple Red and the next two in the series. Than I didn't find a book until [bookcover:I'l..."

I have I'll Find You on my wish list. Looks good. Nick pick.

message 22: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 120 comments Robert Goldsborough followed up Rex Stout with some Nero Wolfe mysteries, which were recently brought to my attention. I've read one, and they're pretty good.
Someone else tried it - whose name I would not mention but I do not recall he author - and it didn't work for me. But if you liked Rex Stout you would probably like these, written in the '80's I think so only a decade or so after the others ended.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I do have some Rex Stout books in my pulp fiction collection. Been meaning to get to that and the short stories book I have on my Kindle. Will have to look into this. Thanks.

message 24: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 123 comments MaryJo wrote: "Robert Goldsborough followed up Rex Stout with some Nero Wolfe mysteries, which were recently brought to my attention. I've read one, and they're pretty good.
Someone else tried it - whose name I ..."

Red Stout is one of my favorite authors. I have read a couple of Robert Goldsborough's Nero Wolf's stories and are pretty good

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

At Risk (Liz Carlyle, #1) by Stella Rimington

If you're a fan of action and adventure, here is an author who is a former MI5 director who writes stories about Liz Carlyle, a counter terrorist agent who was in MI5.
In any case, this writer seems to be under 50 reviews on Kindle. Might be a good read. This is the first in the series. It's on my wish list now.

message 26: by Ingo (last edited Aug 12, 2014 08:21AM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 44 comments My reviews of her first 7 books, still have to read number 8.

No. - Rating - Link
#1 - 4 stars - At Risk
#2 - 4 stars - Secret Asset
#3 - 3 stars - Illegal Action
#4 - 4 stars - Dead Line
#5 - 4 stars - Present Danger
#6 - 4 stars - Rip Tide
#7 - 5 stars - The Geneva Trap

The ending of the "Geneva Trap" made me think, there would me no more books, so did not set an alarm (great website: http://authoralarms.com ) for her. Also she is old, so it was not unreasonable to think she would have stopped writing, at least I thought so.

Maybe I should copy the reviews to Amazon?!

I highly recommend the entire series, although some of 3stars have bits of too much romance. Also and especially recommended to fans of the TV-Series Spooks.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to try this series out so I'll be looking at these reviews. Glad that you enjoyed them. Thanks.

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 12, 2014 06:46PM) (new)

The Yard Dog (Hook Runyon #1) by Sheldon Russell

This looks like a good piece of historical fiction that takes place during WWII. About 20 reviews a book on Kindle.

message 29: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Ron wrote: "No Mercy (A Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #1) by Lori G. Armstrong

Seems like a good story about Mercy Thompson, a female army sniper. Gets about 30 reviews for all her books. Most of them have good reviews. Might be worth checking..."

Mercy Thompson? Sounds like someone stole another author's character name - Moon Called

message 30: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Ron wrote: "The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1) by Peter Lovesey

One of my favorite books from last year. Peter Lovesey has won a lot of awards as a writer but doesn't seem to get the fan base that someone like Peter Robin..."

Love Peter Lovesey!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Kirsten wrote: "Ron wrote: "No Mercy (A Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #1) by Lori G. Armstrong

Seems like a good story about Mercy Thompson, a female army sniper. Gets about 30 reviews for all her books. Most of them have good reviews. Might be wo..."

Interesting. I have this book and I'm planning to read it. I didn't make the connection.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Daddy's Gone A-Hunting by Robert Skinner

Robert Skinner seems to be an underrated writer on Kindle and Goodreads.

message 33: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 2 comments This unknown debut author---I am obsessed with his writing. Dark yet beautifully written in his prose. First Night of Summer by Landon Parham First Night of Summer By Landon Parham. A chilling, emotional thriller never lacking in nail-biting suspense. It reads as though you are watching a movie reel in your mind. Disturbing and vivid, he dives deep into the mind of a sadistic killer and the father that must overcome the unthinkable when his twin girls become his next target. You have got to read this if you are into crime murder mysteries. WOW, have your tissues ready. This book brought my husband to tears.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1) by Jan Burke

This seems like the start of a good under rated series. No more than 25 reviews on every book on Kindle.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Rock Paper Tiger (Ellie McEnroe, #1) by Lisa Brackmann

Here is another underrated author that has three books out with less than 50 reviews on Kindle.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

The Rock Hole A Red River Mystery by Reavis Z. Wortham

This is the first in the series by Reavis Z. Wortham. I decided to pick it up since it's .99 on Kindle. Looks like a good series for an underrated writer.

message 37: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Ron wrote: "Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1) by Jan Burke

This seems like the start of a good under rated series. No more than 25 reviews on every book on Kindle."

I read a later book in the series and thought it was pretty good.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Chinatown Beat by Henry Chang

I'll be reading this book soon. Kindle reviews are down on this one.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Where the Shadows Lie (Fire & Ice, #1) by Michael Ridpath

This is the first book in a series about a homicide detective from Boston who moves to Iceland. That would be quite an adjustment. Less than 10 reviews a book so far. I'll be reading it soon.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Silent Screams by C.E. Lawrence

I bought this book because Gayle Lynds had recommended it. Less than 50 reviews on Kindle for the series.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll Be Watching You by Andrea Kane

Seems like a good candidate. Under 50 reviews on Kindle for each book. This one looks like a good psychological thriller.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Strong Enough to Die (Caitlin Strong, #1) by Jon Land

Starting to keep my eye on this one. First in the series. Caitlin Strong as a Texas Ranger. Under 100 reviews on Kindle.

message 43: by Mike (last edited Aug 22, 2014 06:53AM) (new)

Mike French | 7 comments L.T Ryan and Gary Grossman are two authors that I really enjoy. They are available on Kindle. ONE of favorite authors is Paul Levine. He has two series (Solomon vs Lord and Jake Lassiter) about Miami lawyers that are well written and very humorous.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1) by Kylie Brant

Seems like a good series. Not a lot a reviews on Kindle. Might be good for fans of Criminal Minds.

message 45: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 42 comments I seem to like "flawed" protagonists such as Inspector Rebus, Chief Inspector Gamache, Commissario Brunetti, Carl Morck. Any recommendations?

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Phantom Instinct by Meg Gardiner

How about this series. Meg Gardiner has a lot of books out there but not a lot of reviews on Kindle. This is a psychological thriller but she has a series that could be similar to Rizzoli and Isles. I'll check her out.

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan | 8 comments Kathy wrote: "I seem to like "flawed" protagonists such as Inspector Rebus, Chief Inspector Gamache, Commissario Brunetti, Carl Morck. Any recommendations?"

How about the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly?

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Susan wrote: "Kathy wrote: "I seem to like "flawed" protagonists such as Inspector Rebus, Chief Inspector Gamache, Commissario Brunetti, Carl Morck. Any recommendations?"

How about the Harry Bosch series by Mi..."

Very popular series. One of my favorite authors.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Iguana Love by Vicki Hendricks

I bought this book back in 1999 when it was published by St. Martin's Press. Know who else read this book. Former President Bill Clinton. Here's a link to her site. This is still an underrated writer though.

http://www.vickihendricks.com/iguana-...

message 50: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 42 comments Thanks, I'll check out the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. Has anyone else read any of the novels by Colin Cotterill (Dr. Siri Paiboun series)? I read #1, and am trying to decide if I want to search out more of them.

« previous 1 3