The Walt Longmire Book Series & TV Show Group discussion

Let's Talk about the Stars > Henry Standing Bear

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 05, 2014 03:29PM) (new)

Brenda (butterflyprincess) | 212 comments Mod
Henry Standing Bear (Lou Diamond Phillips) is the best friend of Walt's. He is also known as the Cheyenne Nation. Will he go to jail or prove his innocence?

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Stalnaker | 15 comments All I know is I want him free of all charges and next season I want his role expanded! I want the Walt/Bear relationship to be more of the foundation of the series than it has been. We have seen the loyal friend, the Zen warrior, a protector of his people, his kindness and also anger but I would also love to see a hint of the Vietnam Nam SOG. Mostly I hope to see more Henry.

message 3: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Brenda (butterflyprincess) | 212 comments Mod
I couldn't agree more! Henry is such a huge part of the books. But not on the show.

message 4: by Maranda (new)

Maranda Prigmore (anthrochick1931) I haven't read any of the books but Henry is one of my all time fave characters on the show.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Stalnaker | 15 comments I'm so in agreement with you. In the books they have unconditional trust and there is some really humorous dialog between Walt and Henry. The show has some of this but I'd like to see more. More flash backs (football, Vietnam, Henry as Cady's Godfather) could be fun.
I hope to see Mathias learn to trust Henry and at least have a better working relationship with Walt.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark | 34 comments On the A & E website there is a video clip that didn't make the show. It's Henry asking Mathis for help getting the transcripts of Malachi's probation hearing. Mathis tells Henry he doesn't like him because he feels Henry thinks he is better than the people on the reservation. Doesn't approve of Henry's relationship with Walt and does not like that Henry sells alcohol.

That's why Mathis dislikes Henry

With that said I also want to see a lot more of Henry. I also think more of the past between Walt and him should be explored. In the books Walt goes to Henry for almost everything. In the first and second season that seemed to be the case - but this season Henry has been preoccupied with the trial and Walt has been busy with murders and controlling his staff.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Baker | 1 comments I have a question. I am not really sure where to post it but since its about Henry I thought this would be a good place to start. I recently got into the Netflix Series and loved it, so I want to start reading the books. Anyway, Henry is my favorite character in the show and I was wondering if we get to know more information about him in the novels than we do in the show?

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy (bigfootgal) | 2 comments Ashley wrote: "I have a question. I am not really sure where to post it but since its about Henry I thought this would be a good place to start. I recently got into the Netflix Series and loved it, so I want to s..."

Ashley wrote: "I have a question. I am not really sure where to post it but since its about Henry I thought this would be a good place to start. I recently got into the Netflix Series and loved it, so I want to s..."

Ashley wrote: "I have a question. I am not really sure where to post it but since its about Henry I thought this would be a good place to start. I recently got into the Netflix Series and loved it, so I want to s..."

Yes. You get more about both Henry and Walt in their younger years. The show is very good but the books are much better. You get more of the humor and brotherly relation between the two.

message 9: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronb626) | 19 comments Judy wrote: "Yes. You get more about both Henry and Walt in their younger years. The show is very good but the books are much better. You get more of the humor and brotherly relation between the two.
"

I would have to agree with this. I haven't seen the series since it went to Netflix, but, the 1st 3 seasons were very good. And, I've read 6 or 7 of the books and, yes, they are even better than the TV series. But, both are very good. If you could only do one or the other, I'd recommend the books. But, if you can do both, by all means, do so.

Try it! You'll like it!