Hasting Dedicates to POIROT discussion

The Big Four Discussion - book or movie are fine.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinacz) | 19 comments The new Poirot movie adaptations of the last four books in the canon have finally released. If okay with mods, all are welcomed as we start a lively discussion of The Big Four. Look for re-airings of the Big Four or read the book. Both or one formats are fine to discuss. Comparisons always add another layer to the discussion.

The Big Four read, watch and discuss starts now. Spoilers will abound.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinacz) | 19 comments Can't recall if I read this book but I did catch the new film adaptation on pbs. Re-airings should be offered. Anyway, I was a little saddened by the opening. Anyone else see it? What was your impression of the lead in or any other scenes. Do tell. ;-)

message 3: by Mark Pghfan (new)

Mark Pghfan | 9 comments Well, the difference between the book and the recent adaptation is an enormous gulf. I understand that Mark Gatiss, who has written many of the mystery adaptations said that the book is a total mess as far as adapting it goes. I have to agree with that. The book was actually a collection of short stories mashed together by Christie (with the help of her recently-ex-brother-in-law, Campbell Christie) to meet her commitment to produce a novel. Christie's mother had just died and she was divorcing her husband and then had her mysterious disappearance. Not being in a condition to write a novel from scratch, she did this book.

On the other hand, we got this totally unbelievable business that (SPOILERS) the whole thing was done by a pathetic man trying to impress a girl he knew long ago. The characters were nothing like they were in the book, some of the bad guys turned out to be good, Poirot's "death" was done in a completely different way, no Vera Rossakoff, and on and on.

Like so many of the recent adaptations, I expect the show would be far more enjoyable to people unfamiliar with the book.

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinacz) | 19 comments pghfan, To be honest, I don't recall much about the short story. I believe we read & discussed it at the old community. (I do remember the countess). That said, it sounds like the only thing similar to the short story is the title.

It wasn't a bad episode (a little far fetched) but at least it was a Poirot. If a fan is happy with that, then there it is.

message 5: by Mark Pghfan (new)

Mark Pghfan | 9 comments I doubt if The Big Four was anyone's favorite Poirot, since it was more thriller than regular Poirot. What they did was probably better than a strict adaptation of the book.

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinacz) | 19 comments And the way they worked this latest Folly offered new material esp. for those who felt they've seen it before.

message 7: by Khushi_15 (new)

Khushi_15 | 5 comments hey..just read the big four!! an amazing one.. dont know about the movie well, it is one of my favorites for sure!

message 8: by Mark Pghfan (new)

Mark Pghfan | 9 comments The TV movie is nothing like the book.