The Book Vipers discussion

Little Fires Everywhere
This topic is about Little Fires Everywhere
Group Read Archive > Group Fiction Read - Jul 2018 - Little Fires Everywhere - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5463 comments Mod
Spoilers are allowed in this thread. Please unselect 'Add to my update feed' so other don't see your comments.

Things to consider:

1. Did you like the book?
2. Did you like or dislike the main characters?
3. Do the characters develop?
4. What did you think of the plot and the ending of the story?
5. Do you have any particular favourite quotes or scenes?
6. Would you read anything else by this author?

Becky | 161 comments I really enjoyed the book. I thought the characters were all well drawn and morally complex. None of them seemed to be completely good or completely bad.

I didn’t like Mrs Richardson. She was so arrogant thinking she had the right to poke into other people’s history, I found myself getting quite angry with her. Although even with her there were signs that she was more complex and did have some good points.

I thought the relationship between Izzy and her mother was really interesting. How Mrs Richardson’s fears caused her to treat Izzy differently, which caused Izzy to act differently, which caused Mrs Richardson to treat her differently….. A vicious circle, raising interesting questions like how would Izzy have turned out if her Mother had treated her the same as the other children?

The court case also raised some interesting, morally ambiguous, questions. I felt Bebe had probably been let down when she’d had the baby. If she’d been given support at the beginning things might have been very different and I’d been prejudiced against the rich couple who thought their money could buy them the right to keep the baby… but then they had been a family for most of her short life and you can’t be sure that the birth mother would be able to cope or would be reliable. I’m glad I didn’t have to decide.

I liked reading about the photos that Mia created. I wish I could see some of them.

I didn’t like the sound of Shaker Heights; it seemed far too controlled and unnatural for me.

I gave it 4 stars

Anetq | 86 comments So this was ...strange reading - the story works, but somehow it's too much of a cliché.

On one hand the story is gripping and seductive, nicely spun with the past and the present coming together - and deals with complex themes including cross-cultural adoption. On the other hand I kept thinking "Don't I know these themes or this story from somewhere?" The Free-spirited Artist Vs. the over-regulated life of suburbia, where everything looks nice, but it's all a lie (...was it that mermaid film with Cher? Every art school Vs suburbia youth movie ever?)

In the white hats: Art School bohemia mother/daughter-team living a nomadic life, running from that one mistake in the mother's past, that she shouldn't have made, but she did it for love... And making up for it by saving everyone she meets along the way, even those who may not deserve it. And the innocent daughter who always does the right thing and rides off into the sunset with mom on the run, even though she longs for roots & friends.
In the black hats: The picture perfect mother of the family in suburbia who only pretends to be good, but it's all judgmental and rotting from the inside. The misdirected kids who all may get saved by the white hats (and love, and art) despite their faults.

Argh! Ended up giving it 3 stars. Don't really feel like reading her first hit, if it's along the same lines...

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura  (loranne) Good attack. Syrup drizzle is my name for this type of "book".

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments 1. I enjoyed the book, it was a great summer holiday read.
2. I loathed Mrs Richardson and thought that she was so horrible that it became unbelievable
3. I thought the character of Izzy developed, you understood her more. I thought from the beginning that she was going to be like kevin from “We need to talk about... “ but that was not the case
4. I thought the plot was good, there were surprises but nothing felt false other than perhaps Bebe taking the baby at the end. How did she get the money for the airfare? How did she get to China so quick?
5. My favourite scene were the pictures left for the Richardsons. There was also a moving line about parenthood being about accepting less physical contact. As a mother of a toddler and a teenager that made me a little weepy.
6. I would read more by the author